Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Zeitzbach

So are we going to remain as Weasyl or become Weasalt?

Let's be honest. The amount of salt circulating around this forum lately is so high it makes league of legends a place full of decent human beings.

Lately, our discussion, beside a certain few random stuffs thrown around for a post or so, is often heading toward the same direction.

"Let's bitch about some other sites while praising ours."

When DA had its crisis, everyone was ready to jump on the "DA sucks. Woo. Welcome to Weasyl. Ikr, fuck DA I hope it dies" train.

Now, FA is having its issues and everyone on this darn sites knows even more about the site misfortune than people who browse it once in awhile.

Like, sure it's a discussion and all but when the entire point of Weasyl is to serve as a place for people to hang around for a week, drink and talk about 101 reasons why FA/DA suck and Weasyl is superior until they take a hit on their art income so they have to return, it's kinda sad.

Every site has its negative and positive but it seems for some reason we are completely blind to the positive lately.
    Last edited by Zeitzbach; 08-19-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    Something that irritates me mildly is the fact that most of the influx of new members is caused by temporary chaos which happens on other sites, as you mentioned.
    What irritates me more is that these members do not provide any form of stable activity; They merely come, reserve their account names, post a welcome thread, and then fade into obscurity, becoming ghosts as they themselves turn back to the websites they claimed to run away from.

In the end, the Weasyl forum is populated by the same old faces. A little diversity would be appreciated, and I think everyone, especially the website, will benefit from more people contributing to the conversations on this forum.
    But as I said, most of the newcomers leave a few posts, mostly only their welcome threads, only to fade right afterwards.

Edit: I mean, how many of these people who leave on welcome thread actually stay around on the forum?
    note: I am talking exclusively about forum activity, not website activity.
    Last edited by Eduard; 08-19-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Well, Weasyl right now is pretty much a refuge for people abandoning the slowly sinking ships. People are more versed on other site's issues here because they love watching those sites burn, and some people who came to Weasyl as permanent members left dA/FA because of those issues. I don't think people are really salty, they're just happy or relieved that they found a site where the mods will listen to them and aren't obsessed with money. If I'm one of those people going a little overboard with it, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard View Post
    Something that irritates me mildly is the fact that most of the influx of new members is caused by temporary chaos which happens on other sites, as you mentioned.
    What irritates me more is that these members do not provide any form of stable activity; They merely come, reserve their account names, post a welcome thread, and then fade into obscurity, becoming ghosts as they themselves turn back to the websites they claimed to run away from.

In the end, the Weasyl forum is populated by the same old faces. A little diversity would be appreciated, and I think everyone, especially the website, will benefit from more people contributing to the conversations on this forum.
    But as I said, most of the newcomers leave a few posts, mostly only their welcome threads, only to fade right afterwards.

Edit: I mean, how many of these people who leave on welcome thread actually stay around on the forum?
    I've noticed that too, and I do find it irritating. If they're gonna come here because dA/FA dun goofed, then they should stay. :\ I agree that we need more diversity too, it's rare to see other people besides the normal crowd posting.

A few people have stuck around. I know of at least two that have been at least somewhat active. I was one of the people fleeing dA a few months ago and I stuck around considering I don't make any money with my art.
    Last edited by GlaringFeline; 08-19-2015 at 03:15 PM.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Weasyl
    Vae
    It's to be expected, as most of us are ex-FA and ex-FAF users. Even the admins.

That's just the crowd here. Of course we're going to have some kind of bitter or morbid curiosity at the state of affairs in a place that, for one reason or another, drove us all out.
    People form attachment to things and they're sore when they lose them. That's human nature.

As for the forum, itself, it's actually really mild here.
    I'm used to places with a much more openly hostile environment, to the point where I feel like I have to tiptoe on eggshells to some degree.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Sidewalk Surfboard
    I did decide to come here from FAF because of the drama and shit, but I'm already starting to feel like this might be better for me in general. When hell broke loose, everybody there started to act like animals, and jerks. And, honestly I don't need that in my life. I'm not gonna trash talk FAF, but I'm also not gonna praise Weasyl as some god send, because I just don't know yet
    I spelled my username wrong.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach

An actual art site forum rarely works. When we go on a forum, we usually discuss about common interests

This is a problem because art is unique to everyone. You have to be talking about the fandom to keep the discussion going because that is one interest people can share in but when one fandom is bigger than the other, the smaller fandom will just leave, which happens to nearly every non-anthro artist here.

Then there's the part where if the old site did not end up dying 100% and got bigger, the feeling of nostalgia and attachment will drag them back. We had hoped FAF would die on the first exodus but all ended up returning and even appeal for the ban because that was the place the people were truly attached to.

With this combined, you can probably expect... maybe 20% of the newcomers to really remain. (Number made up on the spot based on quick calculation based on few members)

And then when you scream "ART SITE", you can expect a lot of newcombers to be making accounts purely for requesting freebies. At least half or even 75% of them won't be around other than to ask for free stuffs.

So every 100 people that joins, only about 5-10 will remain active. It is a sad rate indeed especially when the amount of new people we actually pick up is like, 3-4 every day?

If we want to keep people around, we have to do something about the "Common interest" part.

FAF was lucky it had the furry fandom which was the reason it could constantly be revived. If you want to talk about the furry fandom, you go there.

This place lacks a specific direction at first which kills the topic that can easily be brought up and discuss. Sadly, it has gained one and that it's for ranting about sites they no longer feel like using for the new few weeks, which is a kind of direction that will not last.

Weasyl
    Joybit
    I'll be staying here as long as I feel welcome. For me it's not jumping the FAF ship, it's more a matter of distributing my channels of communication, I was just lazy with the timing of my registration here.

[Also, I was on forums a lot in high school and I kinda missed that.]
    Rinpoe the Ringtail Fox and Joybit the Rock Dove
    Live in this profile
    --> 01B6D8CF <--

I find the notion of "moving" to be really silly.
    At least from an artist's stand point, as someone else said long ago during the "exodus", it's a good idea to expand across other websites rather than jumping from one to the next everytime shit happens.

I'm more active on FA simply because there usually is more to respond to. I keep galleries here and couple other pages though.

Me in particular I'm not very active in forums period. I used to be a mod for a certain online game. By the time I stepped down I lost a lot of trust towards forum users so I try not to be too involved. Most people are either too random or too hostile. It can become very stressful.

I'll try to not to disappear from the forum anyway, if it means anything.

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    An actual art site forum rarely works. When we go on a forum, we usually discuss about common interests

This is a problem because art is unique to everyone. You have to be talking about the fandom to keep the discussion going because that is one interest people can share in but when one fandom is bigger than the other, the smaller fandom will just leave, which happens to nearly every non-anthro artist here.

Then there's the part where if the old site did not end up dying 100% and got bigger, the feeling of nostalgia and attachment will drag them back. We had hoped FAF would die on the first exodus but all ended up returning and even appeal for the ban because that was the place the people were truly attached to.

With this combined, you can probably expect... maybe 20% of the newcomers to really remain. (Number made up on the spot based on quick calculation based on few members)

And then when you scream "ART SITE", you can expect a lot of newcombers to be making accounts purely for requesting freebies. At least half or even 75% of them won't be around other than to ask for free stuffs.

So every 100 people that joins, only about 5-10 will remain active. It is a sad rate indeed especially when the amount of new people we actually pick up is like, 3-4 every day?

If we want to keep people around, we have to do something about the "Common interest" part.

FAF was lucky it had the furry fandom which was the reason it could constantly be revived. If you want to talk about the furry fandom, you go there.

This place lacks a specific direction at first which kills the topic that can easily be brought up and discuss. Sadly, it has gained one and that it's for ranting about sites they no longer feel like using for the new few weeks, which is a kind of direction that will not last.
    Observations I cannot disagree to.

And if I may ask, what form of "common interest" would you rather Weasyl have?

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Observations I cannot disagree to.

And if I may ask, what form of "common interest" would you rather Weasyl have?
    I kind of want to see Fiz and Fay dress up as clowns and perform for us with slap stick comedy if that counts for common interest.