Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    maugryph
    Quote Originally Posted by rodentia View Post
    Well, can't say I'm not impressed with you there. :'>
    Thank you

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Unfortunately (or fortunately,) almost all of my effort in recent years has been on numerical simulations. I can say that my habit of first prototyping all my code in python has led to quite a bit of experience in numerically efficient python code -- if it's fast enough in python then I don't need to bother reimplementing it in C++. The entire python stack of numpy->scipy->matplotlib is amazing for scientific computing; it's basically like Matlab but with modern syntax and high level features.

For things not strictly physics-related, I recently started using Beautiful Soup to compile statistics from various websites. It wraps lxml (libxml2) and provides an incredibly convenient interface for scraping html.

I want to start learning how to better use the various SSE instructions...

Weasyl
    Sarukai
    Quote Originally Posted by inpw View Post
    People still write pseodocode?
    Not necessarily for pseudo code, but its nice to have what you're doing written down somewhere so you don't forget things. I was thinking more for use cases. But whatever helps keep track of your work is still a good idea.

I don't write pseudocode, per se, but I do often write down a bunch of comments giving a high level overview of what needs to be done, then fill in the code that does it between them. Helps keep me from forgetting to comment my code (usually).

Quote Originally Posted by inpw View Post
    People still write pseodocode?

Anywho, I'm busy with a infrastructure procurement system (No development started) enabling field technical staff to create reset and link computer objects on active directory without giving them access to active directory.

Boring and dull.
    Still more exciting than my boring job. Doing nothing!

This is a club I've been trying to join since I was 14 but every time I get to the gate and flash my nerd card I get thrown out by the bouncers. I really REALLY want to learn to code, damn near all my friends are in the programming or computer science profession, but it just doesn't seem to stick. The first time I tried was actually trying to use BASIC on a Commodore 64 and that... well it was painful. Then there were several unsuccessful attempts with some guides. Then last year I had a econometrics class that was essentially nothing but programming statistical simulations in a FORTRAN application :<

My friends tell me to try code academy, but they also suggest having a project I can work on as well to practice. I'm so new though that I can't even imagine a project I could do, let alone one I could grow into as I learned. Any suggestions for someone who's trying to get going?
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

The first thing is you need to decide on something you want to accomplish. Anything at all. For example, writing a program to keep track of purchases.

Next, you need to break that down into high level steps that need to be taken. In this example, that would be: Load and display a list of purchases from a file, let user input new purchases, save new purchases back to file. Be ready to add things to this list, as I can guarantee there are going to be things that are forgotten about.

After that, you need to go look up whatever steps you don't already know how to do. Need to load the list? Google "<language> read text from file". Find a decent example that shows what you're after, and modify it to fit what you really want it to do. That's the key: by modifying it, you can see how the code handles the changes, and better understand what modifications you need to get everything working together.

Once you've gotten the program to a decent working state, break it. And you will break it. You know how you set that part of the code to handle what the purchase's price was? Put a letter in there. What happens when the name of the purchase is "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa[repeat for a long time...]"? That's a fun one to handle. Figure out how to fix these bugs.

Alright, now the last step: Think of some improvement to the program. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to track how much was spent on taxes? Or to be able to say this purchase was necessary and that one was for fun? Then go back and add these to the program.

One nice thing about computer languages is for most of them there are a few key concepts that are shared across most of them: loops, conditional statements, functions, variables, and so on. Once you're comfy with one, you can more easily pick up another.

TBH that sounds like something that would be handled better by Excel. That's part of the problem, really. Most things I think of can usually be handled better by statistical software packages or Excel.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Who cares? You're doing it to learn, and the best way to learn is to write a program that actually does something. It doesn't matter that that something can be done by existing software.

My Weasyl upload program can basically be replaced by an existing web browser, but I still went through the trouble of writing it to learn how to handle everything needed to do network communication.