Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    armaina
    Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    Nope.
    Apparently I need to clarify: I have not seen an artist specifically, in this thread, claim if they had opt out they would actively use it to turn down requests. I did also say that opt out or not there would be people that would reject all tags, as like is mentioned in your quote. I never said it never happens nor won't happen only that no artist here in this thread has explicitly stated they would do that. I have however, seen far more artists talk about how they would feel respected and appreciated if they could just have a dang opt out.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #262
    Quote Originally Posted by Bornes View Post
    Also, to get rid of it entirely would be a lot of undoing of work. It would be easier to just create an entirely new site. (That is the impression I am getting. I am definitely no expert)
    This is definitely not the case.

Weasyl
    vyxn
    Quote Originally Posted by arinaca View Post
    I guess with this in mind then there could be a block tag section, same as block user. So if you had a tag appear that you didn't want (if it wasn't already blocked) then you could reject it, add it into the blocked section then just block the user same as normal if you felt you needed/wanted to It's more roundabout than just flat out no tagging, but trying to think of a way to have it so everyone is still happy with a tag system and has the ability to stop people from putting up tags people don't want, either spitefully or accidentally.
    Well, but that's just it. not everyone is happy with the tagging system.

I, for one, don't see the need for community tagging. My judgment, about my content whether commissioned or otherwise should be good enough.

i don't need Tom, Dick, Harry and Joe Schmoe from Buffalo telling me what tags are "needed" or that they think should be there.

I'm 100000000% opposed to community tagging, of any kind. But since people complained that I'm not "for" compromising, yours is so far the best one I've seen so far.

Though, I think it could be tweaked a bit. Like once a user tags something of a persons, and they reject it, he/she can never tag that persons content again.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #264
    Quote Originally Posted by armaina View Post
    Apparently I need to clarify: I have not seen an artist specifically, in this thread, claim if they had opt out they would actively use it to turn down requests. [...] I never said it never happens nor won't happen only that no artist here in this thread has explicitly stated they would do that.
    Are we talking about artists, content creators, or submitters here? Sure, I can't offhand remember an artist in this thread that has said they would categorically deny all suggestions, but there's at least one submitter who would.

Weasyl
    vyxn
    I have a firm belief that if Weasyl just does whatever the hell it wants with community tagging (assuming it does implement some of the suggestions here that don't contain the opt-out features), that people will get over it pretty quickly and not care as much as we are led to believe by this thread.
    I doubt it, because I assure you that as long as I have an account here and as I can't delete my weasyl account that will be forever, I will continue to raise it up.

The opt-out is the only and the best option.

If the other alternative sites are so much better, then they wouldn't be having the same activity issues Weasyl has.
    or they're having issues for other reasons. you assume too much about these other sites.

- - - Updated - - -

This is definitely not the case.
    So would you like to clarify on why you think that an opt-out would not make the issue "better"?

- - - Updated - - -

Are we talking about artists, content creators, or submitters here? Sure, I can't offhand remember an artist in this thread that has said they would categorically deny all suggestions, but there's at least one submitter who would.
    So a writer is not an artist?

how insulting.

Weasyl
    armaina
    I am referring specifically to artists/content creators, as they are the priority IMO, as I stated previously. (besides it's the content creator that can get stuff taken down completely if they feel the submitter is abusing it in the first place, anyway)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pthnrgrrl View Post
    So a writer is not an artist?

how insulting.
    a writer can be classified as an artist or content creator. Just so you know.

Weasyl
    vyxn
    Quote Originally Posted by armaina View Post
    I am referring specifically to artists/content creators, as they are the priority IMO, as I stated previously. (besides it's the content creator that can get stuff taken down completely if they feel the submitter is abusing it in the first place, anyway)

- - - Updated - - -

a writer can be classified as an artist or content creator. Just so you know.
    Yes, I know. i know you see it that way.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJaySF View Post
    Without posting, you can't boost your post-count.
    Haha, what's your deal? You've been ad hominen me since your first reply for no apparent reason. At least 90% of my post count doesn't come from this singular thread/topic.

(also what is this, 2003? who still cares about post counts)
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Arinaca
    :c This thread just seems to be turning into people getting snarky about stuff - so posting up my idea that hopefully would work for those that are both for and against community tagging. Please feel free to add idea's - I want to come up with something that could work for everyone, while leaving tags both available to the community and the user, either as a CC or uploader.

------

Tags appear as a notification before being put onto uploaded content, anyone can suggest a tag.

The user can then choose to Approve/Deny/Report a tag - if there are multiple tags then they can choose to select all (This giving people the ability to not have tags added to their work ever by just rejecting them all. Essentially - Opting out)

A Block list section for tags - Say I loathe the term banana, I will absolutely never want banana's connected to the content I upload, that could be added as blocked tag and would be automatically rejected. Potentially also alerting the tagger that the user has chosen to block that tag?

If you have a user that's really insistent on tagging then you could just block them.

Artists could also list somewhere on their page that they do/don't want tags, or it could even be made part of the settings to display that. It won't stop people from tagging, but then you also have the ability to just reject everything with this system.

Moderators would be able to see the reported tags - Say someone puts up an offensive tag, you deny it, they do it again and that time you report it, then a mod steps in, or instead of denying it first you can flat out report it.

Moderators don't have an input on tags other than reported ones (unless they suggest one themselves, then progresses same as any other user) so there would be no "forced" tagging. (Unless I'm wrong, users can delete tags at the moment, without mod input, so nothing changes there)

------

It's been brought up being able to auto block people from tagging, but I think that is only necessary if people become abusive with the system. Comments/favourites etc don't have the ability to auto block people, tagging I don't think should be any different.

Blocking people or just rejecting all tags is a more roundabout system than just flat out no tagging, but trying to think of a way to have it so everyone is still happy with a tag system but still has the ability to stop people from putting up tags people don't want, either spitefully or accidentally.

Weasyl
    vyxn
    Quote Originally Posted by arinaca View Post
    :c This thread just seems to be turning into people getting snarky about stuff - so posting up my idea that hopefully would work for those that are both for and against community tagging. Please feel free to add idea's - I want to come up with something that could work for everyone, while leaving tags both available to the community and the user, either as a CC or uploader.

------

Tags appear as a notification before being put onto uploaded content, anyone can suggest a tag.

The user can then choose to Approve/Deny/Report a tag - if there are multiple tags then they can choose to select all (This giving people the ability to not have tags added to their work ever by just rejecting them all. Essentially - Opting out)

A Block list section for tags - Say I loathe the term banana, I will absolutely never want banana's connected to the content I upload, that could be added as blocked tag and would be automatically rejected. Potentially also alerting the tagger that the user has chosen to block that tag?

If you have a user that's really insistent on tagging then you could just block them.

Artists could also list somewhere on their page that they do/don't want tags, or it could even be made part of the settings to display that. It won't stop people from tagging, but then you also have the ability to just reject everything with this system.

Moderators would be able to see the reported tags - Say someone puts up an offensive tag, you deny it, they do it again and that time you report it, then a mod steps in, or instead of denying it first you can flat out report it.

Moderators don't have an input on tags other than reported ones (unless they suggest one themselves, then progresses same as any other user) so there would be no "forced" tagging. (Unless I'm wrong, users can delete tags at the moment, without mod input, so nothing changes there)

------

It's been brought up being able to auto block people from tagging, but I think that is only necessary if people become abusive with the system. Comments/favourites etc don't have the ability to auto block people, tagging I don't think should be any different.

Blocking people or just rejecting all tags is a more roundabout system than just flat out no tagging, but trying to think of a way to have it so everyone is still happy with a tag system but still has the ability to stop people from putting up tags people don't want, either spitefully or accidentally.
    I was with you until the part about blocking...but meh.