Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Bornes
    Quote Originally Posted by pthnrgrrl View Post
    Not true at all.

Did Picasso paint because of a community? or because he was an artist?

You're told, as a writer, to write for yourself not your audience.

You just proved my point for me, though, so thank you--this is about the viewer gaining more power than the content creator.
    Picasso didn't create a website meant for creators and consumers alike to share stuff, though, that's the difference.
    Since Weasyl's creator wants this site a certain way, it's going to stay that certain way as long as Weasyl's creator feels like keeping it that way.

Kind of an interesting situation really. If Weasyl got rid of community tagging, it would be giving the community all the power (which is what you feel community tagging is). But if Weasyl keeps things as-is, it's because Weasyl wants to keep the creator power (which is the reason you don't want community tagging).

Anyway I don't like it but I think the approve/disapprove tags individually is probably the best compromise for now at least.
    Last edited by Bornes; 08-21-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Weasyl
    vyxn
    Quote Originally Posted by Bornes View Post
    Picasso didn't create a website meant for creators and consumers alike to share stuff, though, that's the difference..
    No, it's really not. i didn't ask about a website or Picasso created one (since they didn't exist in his time.)

I asked if he did art for himself or for a community.

Weasyl
    armaina
    Quote Originally Posted by Bornes View Post
    Since Weasyl's creator wants this site a certain way, it's going to stay that certain way as long as Weasyl's creator feels like keeping it that way.
    Weykent isn't the creator just FYI :U Like I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean but thought I'd point that out. Weasyl has a committee of members and I wish some of them would chime in on this more.

Weasyl
    Arinaca
    Quote Originally Posted by armaina View Post
    You can already remove tags, there are some people here that have had to remove the same tags repeatedly. Tag abuse doesn't happen often but when it does it's distressing. There have been discussions about unusable tags or specific tag blacklists per user that can't be added by community members but it just makes way more sense and is far less messy, to have a blanket opt out.
    I don't mean it just appears - sorry I should have clarified! I mean it comes up as a notification to approve/deny/report and depending on what you choose only then it appears on artwork or not So in theory you'd have a notification page for tags, can just hit check all, then deny if you don't want tags. Or report all if you have someone being a butt haha

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #255
    You're.... assuming that when someone says that they also mean they will never ever make an appeal if someone requests. What they're saying is they don't want unconsented tags to show up in their notifications. Not a single person has literally said 'if someone asked me to tag this with __ so they could filter it out I totally wouldn't'. Many artists would rather be asked than it just suddenly appearing.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Noxid,
    When I had a decent sized black-list, I was still seeing content I didn't want to come across. Even when using multiple tags for the same subject. Some of the artists I've PMed about tagging were- let's just say upset? Which I don't understand, when some of the tags I've suggested were completely harmless or inoffensive (blacklisting was also never mentioned). It also puzzles me when tags are indeed relevant or appropriate, and it's an issue for some personal reason?

For example,
    Some one submits My Little Pony fan art, and the only tags are horse, equine and pony.
    I then add the "MLP" & "My little pony" tags to it, OR ask them to tag their future content with it. However they take issue with it for some reason...

What's more annoying is when someone suggests you black-list content you don't actually mind viewing, or tags that are broad and ambiguous. Eventually I gave up on tagging, turned my content ratings down to moderate, stopped browsing and stuck with searches.

Just to be clear,
    I'm a non-fur, not familiar with the whole "futa" vs "trans" drama and also have no problem coming across content I'm not looking for. The black-list is just a nice feature to help filter out things I'm not interested in.

Lets also not pretend as if every one who submits content are perfect little angels because I've had my fair share of reporting. Honestly, Why not a trust based system? Give taggers the option to earn a trusted status for having a record of tagging things appropriately, reporting and deleting bad tags. Give Artists the option to disable tags from general users, but trusted taggers can still provide input. (I'm on the fence about artists having complete control over tags)
    This is just the first post I remember on the subject.

Weasyl
    vyxn
    Quote Originally Posted by arinaca View Post
    Curious - for those wanting to opt-out of tagging, would you be comfortable still having community tags as long as you had the ability to reject them?

As long as I could reject them and ensure that the tag never showed up again on my page, period and the user that used that tag could never tag another item of mine, sure.

I'd still prefer an opt-out though.

- - - Updated - - -

I see that Weykent refuses to answer why an opt-out wouldn't make the problem better.

Interesting.

Weasyl
    N/A
    hahaha well last I checked artists are also community members soooooooooo
    "Sooooo" what? You need both and you seem to be reaffirming this. Does that mean you agree that both need to be considered equally then?

The goalposts in this thread are moving so much they're sublimating.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    Without a community you don't have artists.
    Without posting, you can't boost your post-count.

Quote Originally Posted by arinaca View Post
    Curious - for those wanting to opt-out of tagging, would you be comfortable still having community tags as long as you had the ability to reject them?
    I would, yes. I don't pretend to know any and all tags applicable to my uploads, so if someone proposes new tags, then I'm at least willing to take a look at them. If I reject them all because I don't feel they're needed, then that's just one possible outcome.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Weasyl
    Arinaca
    Quote Originally Posted by pthnrgrrl View Post
    As long as I could reject them and ensure that the tag never showed up again on my page, period and the user that used that tag could never tag another item of mine, sure.

I'd still prefer an opt-out though.

- - - Updated - - -

I see that Weykent refuses to answer why an opt-out wouldn't make the problem better.

Interesting.
    I guess with this in mind then there could be a block tag section, same as block user. So if you had a tag appear that you didn't want (if it wasn't already blocked) then you could reject it, add it into the blocked section then just block the user same as normal if you felt you needed/wanted to It's more roundabout than just flat out no tagging, but trying to think of a way to have it so everyone is still happy with a tag system and has the ability to stop people from putting up tags people don't want, either spitefully or accidentally.

Weasyl
    Bornes
    Weykent isn't the creator just FYI :U Like I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean but thought I'd point that out. Weasyl has a committee of members and I wish some of them would chime in on this more.
    No, I wasn't speaking about Weykent.

Anyway the impression I get from this thread and Weasyl (site) overall is that they want community tagging because they believe it works. Also, to get rid of it entirely would be a lot of undoing of work. It would be easier to just create an entirely new site. (That is the impression I am getting. I am definitely no expert)

----

Hopefully this will be my last post in the thread here. I said all I wanted to say.
    And I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for the following comment, but:

I have a firm belief that if Weasyl just does whatever the hell it wants with community tagging (assuming it does implement some of the suggestions here that don't contain the opt-out features), that people will get over it pretty quickly and not care as much as we are led to believe by this thread.

If the other alternative sites are so much better, then they wouldn't be having the same activity issues Weasyl has.