Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #161
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    This was a thing I was thinking about, and I think there's ways of getting the community more involved with tagging. I do also like the idea of showing people a series of random submissions and asking them to add a few tags.
    Maybe some sort of gamification thing could work, I actually was thinking about that a while back, but it'd be very hit-or-miss I think. I'm not sure how most people would react to it.

Weasyl
    vyxn
    Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    I'm not too concerned with the technical side of things at the moment. How would it be slow for people who weren't popular if there was a page listing all submissions with pending tags?
    And yet you still haven't given a reason why the community should be given even more power than they already have compared to CCs.

"I want to add <insert tag here> on <insert person>'s submission"
    "put it to a vote along with the other tags, let's make it even more communistic"
    <content creator leaves rather than deal with that mess>

Putting things up to a vote doesn't work, look at the US electoral process for more information.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by pthnrgrrl View Post
    Putting things up to a vote doesn't work, look at the US electoral process for more information.
    That's because people don't vote. The process needs participation to work and currently it averages around 34% (US voting). If anything you're arguing for a stricter segregation to community tags to encourage more participation by the community to ensure it works better.

Anything that hampers the community will dissuade it from participating and indeed make it worse for everyone involved. I don't remember who said it but I completely agree with the sentiment that tags are in the same category as comments.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    vyxn
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    That's because people don't vote. The process needs participation to work and currently it averages around 34% (US voting). If anything you're arguing for a stricter segregation to community tags to encourage more participation by the community to ensure it works better.
    No, what I've been arguing for is no community say in tagging. None. nyet. zip. zero.

Anything that hampers the community will dissuade it from participating and indeed make it worse for everyone involved. I don't remember who said it but I completely agree with the sentiment that tags are in the same category as comments.
    Comments and tagging are two completely different things.

Weasyl
    N/A
    How so? Assuming a community set of tags, they're both forms of feedback/participation.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics

Weasyl
    vyxn
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    How so? Assuming a community set of tags, they're both forms of feedback/participation.
    In the grand scheme of things, comments mean nothing and can come a dime a dozen.

Tags are stuck to your picture/story/what have you and are the difference between someone seeing it or not.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Tags can mean nothing if you choose to ignore community tags. Comments also are stuck to the picture/story/what have you so they're still the same in that regard. It's not like comments don't share the same pit falls as tags, in fact they can be even more damaging.

Also I don't think anyone is champion a paradigm where the only tags are community tags though. So there is no worry in terms of community tags determining visibility. If anything, one could feasibly get more visibility via community tags if there is a more popular tag the original artist might've missed.

I don't understand how making community tagging more engaging (through voting in this case) is going to encourage CC's turned off by the tagging system in the first place to post again?

and drunkcat, the visibility gained from those tags added, again, may not be in the CC's interest and that's my single problem with this. Visibility is great but I'd be weirded out if suddenly the addition of X anatomical tag made my submission more popular.
    Last edited by ganache; 08-20-2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: clarity...

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #169
    Quote Originally Posted by ganache View Post
    I don't understand how making community tagging more engaging is going to encourage CC's turned off by the tagging system in the first place to post again?
    I've been trying to understand what sorts of tags it is that people don't want added, and so far it seems to be:
    • Gender tags and/or slurs (which could require extra scrutiny or only be added by submitters/staff or something else)
    • Synonyms (which would be cut down on by implementing tag implications and a standard tagging policy)
    • Inaccurate tags, i.e. tags which do not accurately describe the content (which could be solved with voting, which would benefit from engagement)
    • Words that the submitter doesn't like (which could be marked as "not shown on submission" by the submitter, but still could be used for filtering)

Is there any unwanted class of tags not covered here? The thing I'm trying to understand overall here is how to make community tagging seem like more of a net positive to the skeptics, and make it easier to handle the cases they're concerned about.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by ganache View Post
    I don't understand how making community tagging more engaging (through voting in this case) is going to encourage CC's turned off by the tagging system in the first place to post again?

and drunkcat, the visibility gained from those tags added, again, may not be in the CC's interest and that's my single problem with this. Visibility is great but I'd be weirded out if suddenly the addition of X anatomical tag made my submission more popular.
    Isn't the whole point of posting to a public gallery for visibility? Wouldn't you make it "closed" or invite only otherwise? This is assuming "x" tag is appropriate, I'd understand the aversion if x tag was incorrectly applied (piece contains no x at all); which a flagging system would adequately take care of. Especially since according to statistics subversive tags are a rarity.