Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 333
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #101
    Thank you for your input! Just a couple of quick notes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amber-Aria View Post
    Options to include titles and/or descriptions in search results as well as tags. (As an option, please not automatic, because I've found it VERY annoying to try and search on DeviantART because of a single instance of a word in an otherwise completely unrelated description)
    Fulltext indexing is hard, so if this is ever implemented, it will be a long way out. I'm overall undecided, but not a huge fan of this idea. It seems like it's more of a crutch than anything else, unless you have to specifically mark parts of your search query as 'in title' or 'in description'. That might be useful, if someone is trying to recall some submission they saw previously, but it's unfortunately under-tagged.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amber-Aria View Post
    The option to go to an actual search page that can be clicked to, with the drop-down menus and checkboxes you get for more specific search help, rather than having to input something into the search bar first to get to that search page. Personal pet peeve, but I'd find it more helpful to be able to get to that page in the first place to set up my search properly the first time around! :c
    Yes, this is definitely terrible and should be fixed. I can't give an ETA, but this is something that I personally want to see done.

  2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #102
    feline fine Noxid's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    CANADURR
    Posts
    475
    I think restricted tags is an interesting idea, but my concern is how do you decide what should or shouldn't go on the list?
    I mean, it's somewhat of a cultural thing and what may be offensive to some might seem innocuous to others. And as well, the contents of the list would need to be a living document as new terms arise or even existing words take on new meanings (for example, saying something is "gay" in 1920 probably carried a lot different weight than it does today) (I know that's a really dated example but I hope the intent is clear)

  3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #103
    Sophomore Matt's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Matt
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by pthnrgrrl View Post
    Ah, but i thought you weren't trying to silence anyone?

    Well, so much for that lie eh?

    I'm not the only one who thinks this, yet you're so fixated on me. Hmmm...I wonder why
    We certainly don't want to give the impression that we are attempting to silence you. As you can see, you're still posting. What we're meaning to say is that your impressions and suggestions have been made clear to all of staff multiple times over. As it stands, there's just not much we can say in reply without anything new to reply to.

    I hope you understand. Thank you again for your input.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

  4. #104
    Premium User Amber-Aria's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Amber-Aria
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    Fulltext indexing is hard, so if this is ever implemented, it will be a long way out. I'm overall undecided, but not a huge fan of this idea. It seems like it's more of a crutch than anything else, unless you have to specifically mark parts of your search query as 'in title' or 'in description'. That might be useful, if someone is trying to recall some submission they saw previously, but it's unfortunately under-tagged.
    Aaaah, okay! I'm not terribly familiar with how hard stuff would actually be to implement, but I think being able to mark part of the search query somehow, like how you said with 'in title' and such would be quite useful, if it was possible to do. Thank you for considering it, even if you're not a fan!

    Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    Yes, this is definitely terrible and should be fixed. I can't give an ETA, but this is something that I personally want to see done.
    Thank GOODNESS. I'm really glad to hear this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    I think restricted tags is an interesting idea, but my concern is how do you decide what should or shouldn't go on the list?
    I mean, it's somewhat of a cultural thing and what may be offensive to some might seem innocuous to others. And as well, the contents of the list would need to be a living document as new terms arise or even existing words take on new meanings (for example, saying something is "gay" in 1920 probably carried a lot different weight than it does today) (I know that's a really dated example but I hope the intent is clear)
    Yeah, that's the sticky part... It's a terribly subjective thing, and what some people may consider awful slurs, others may be perfectly okay with using for themselves and their work, and new words are bound to appear over time. But I really do think it'd be worth the effort to at least try to restrict the absolute worst ones that have obviously caused the most discomfort and divide in the community. :c Gender-related terms are the ones I see the most hotly debated, and the ones that I've had friends the most worried about abuse happening to, so maybe only the submitters can define tags related to the genders of the characters involved in a work? I'm mostly throwing ideas out right now, but I do think it's worth consideration.

  5. #105
    Regular blufawx's Avatar
    Weasyl
    vyxn
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Gender
    transwoman
    Posts
    81
    I guess the only real option at the moment is to add at the bottom of a created content post:

    **anyone adding tags will have the tags deleted and the user will be blocked. this is my content, not yours.**
    From now on.

    My question to the staff is why wasn't there an option to opt out of community tags from the launch of this site? Obviously, you knew this was going to be an issue that was raised eventually, right?

    I mean the reason SoFurry and Furaffinity don't have this problem is because they don't allow the 'community' to add tags.

    (and here comes the patronizing response that is an attempt to shut me down (but "not really") in 3..2..1..)

  6. #106
    pthnrgrrl I'm gonna state this bluntly, as a normal non-staff user, you're coming across as screaming and stamping your feet until you get your way. You've offered no potential for compromise which is not good for a discussion. You're seeing persecution where there is merely sane discussion. So please, tell us. We know your position on this issue, what compromises are you willing to make to it for the betterment of everyone, not just yourself?

  7. #107
    Regular blufawx's Avatar
    Weasyl
    vyxn
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Gender
    transwoman
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    We know your position on this issue, what compromises are you willing to make to it for the betterment of everyone, not just yourself?
    This shouldn't have been implemented in the first place as it gives too much power to the non-artist, non-writer, non-content creator.

    Thus, I did what I had to do for me and for other content creators. There should have been an opt-in on sign up and since there wasn't, there should be an opt-out now.

    So I don't see the need for compromise. And I'm not the only one grumbling, I'm just the only one that continues to grumble. There's a difference dear.

  8. #108
    Senior Swanda's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Swanda
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    157
    pthnrgrrl - Your stance on the matter have been heard and fully understood. There is No reason to spam what is essentially the exact same post continuously. It is not adding anything to the discussion. At this point the only thing you're contributing with is rudeness and baseless attacks on the staff.

  9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    I think restricted tags is an interesting idea, but my concern is how do you decide what should or shouldn't go on the list?
    I mean, it's somewhat of a cultural thing and what may be offensive to some might seem innocuous to others. And as well, the contents of the list would need to be a living document as new terms arise or even existing words take on new meanings (for example, saying something is "gay" in 1920 probably carried a lot different weight than it does today) (I know that's a really dated example but I hope the intent is clear)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber-Aria View Post
    Yeah, that's the sticky part... It's a terribly subjective thing, and what some people may consider awful slurs, others may be perfectly okay with using for themselves and their work, and new words are bound to appear over time. But I really do think it'd be worth the effort to at least try to restrict the absolute worst ones that have obviously caused the most discomfort and divide in the community. :c Gender-related terms are the ones I see the most hotly debated, and the ones that I've had friends the most worried about abuse happening to, so maybe only the submitters can define tags related to the genders of the characters involved in a work? I'm mostly throwing ideas out right now, but I do think it's worth consideration.
    I do think this is a good idea, but I definitely agree that choosing which tags get this treatment is a careful balancing act. I don't want to speak for the rest of staff here, but IIRC the general idea was that it would be only staff maintaining the list, it would be updated as necessary, and that it would be primarily, if not entirely, limited to words that have to do with gender identity or are widely understood to be slurs.

  10. #110
    I can't help but wonder if this is a knee-jerk reaction to PurpleKecleon pulling their art from e621 because the site used their “tag what you see” policy as a defence when PK complained about people persistently misgendering their characters. (That was annoying to word because there are two “they” referents. My kingdom for a proximate/obviative distinction in English!)

    If you're interested in protecting artist's rights and control of their work, perhaps you could do something about the fact the design of the site doesn't reflect “by you or for you”—It still asserts on both the front page and the submission page that whoever uploaded a thing created it as well, rather than saying “uploaded by” and providing the uploader uploaders the option of specifying the original creator and source. (Taking that to its logical conclusion, I question the utility of “collections” since as it stands you can only collect a work uploaded by someone else on Weasyl. Something uploaded for you on FA or InkBunny? Too bad, better violate their intellectual property rights without even intending to.)

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •