Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    I think our biggest issue with trying to implement an approval system is what happens to tag change requests that go to accounts that are no longer active? Without other checks in place, those tag edits would just stay in limbo forever and the submissions would still (possibly) be inaccurately tagged so people wouldn't be able to find or block it properly.
    Contrariwise, the way it is now, anyone can spam a bunch of troll tags on things posted by inactive users, and nothing would ever get done about them unless a mod happened across the page. I could easily see trolls doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    There'd have to be a part of that system that would still make it work in those sort of circumstances. The idea I just thought of was that after a certain amount of time (lets say for example, 72 hours), if those tag edit requests are neither accepted or denied, the tags still go into effect but possibly under a different category from 'community tags' on the submission, just to show that it is a community tag but it isn't approved yet.
    Do we still have ferrets? I know you still have the tag for it, but they're no longer mentioned in the FAQ. I liked the idea of a class of sub-moderators who are trusted to modify tags and nothing else, and they'd be perfect for dealing with situations like this; maybe have a sort of moderation queue that they see when they log in that reports any added tags that have gone unaddressed for maybe a week, and let them decide whether to approve them or not.

Weasyl
    taasla
    I don't want users tagging slurs on my artwork. Plain and simple. If you refuse to allow me to turn the feature off, then I'd like to approve tags on the go. Once I've disapproved of something, it should remain permanently blacklisted from being added to that image.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #53
    Quote Originally Posted by pthnrgrrl View Post
    That's one aspect of it. I've also had a person repeat many of my same tags. or put tags in just to put tags in. […] here comes Tweedledumb thinking it needs more tags or it isn't descriptive enough or that he feels like trolling.
    The incidence rate of people adding tags to be deliberately disruptive is very, very low. You had people do this on your submissions? Also, what does it mean if someone is adding tags "just to put tags in"? I would think that someone who is adding tags to your submissions is typically doing it with good intent.

Adding a system that supports relationships between tags, whether it's by implication or whatever else, will cut down dramatically on people adding synonyms. It should also make tag searching a lot easier.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by taasla View Post
    I don't want users tagging slurs on my artwork. Plain and simple. If you refuse to allow me to turn the feature off, then I'd like to approve tags on the go. Once I've disapproved of something, it should remain permanently blacklisted from being added to that image.
    Are slurs the only thing you have an issue with? We've been talking for a while about methods to prevent users from adding 'inherently controversial' tags to submissions.

Weasyl
    taasla
    Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    The incidence rate of people adding tags to be deliberately disruptive is very, very low. You had people do this on your submissions? Also, what does it mean if someone is adding tags "just to put tags in"? I would think that someone who is adding tags to your submissions is typically doing it with good intent.

Adding a system that supports relationships between tags, whether it's by implication or whatever else, will cut down dramatically on people adding synonyms. It should also make tag searching a lot easier.

- - - Updated - - -

Are slurs the only thing you have an issue with? We've been talking for a while about methods to prevent users from adding 'inherently controversial' tags to submissions.
    Yes, that is my main and only reason for wanting to opt out. I've had this issue on SoFurry and was forced to opt out of third party tagging. I have no problems adding things manually for people.

I don't know if Weasyl could consider a filter or something that would make these items be manual approval while everything else was just auto set to go up. Would that even be possible?

I can't speak for everyone else who wants to opt out of third party tagging, but that is my only issue.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #55
    Quote Originally Posted by taasla View Post
    I don't know if Weasyl could consider a filter or something that would make these items be manual approval while everything else was just auto set to go up. Would that even be possible?
    Yes. I think the implementation we had in mind was that only the submitter could add such tags, and the community at large is just strictly disallowed even from suggesting it.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #56

Weasyl
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Firehazard View Post
    Contrariwise, the way it is now, anyone can spam a bunch of troll tags on things posted by inactive users, and nothing would ever get done about them unless a mod happened across the page. I could easily see trolls doing that.
    That is a concern for us in very much the same way that people leaving harmful comments on inactive users' shouts page or gallery is. Just as in those cases, the person acting against site rules will be attended to within the community guidelines. The key difference in this case is that the type of abuse you're describing is inherently searchable and therefore more easily found and dealt with. There's potential for mailce in any system that allows for unmoderated submission (this means galleries to shouts to comments to notes to tags), but, if anything, tags are the easiest to catch out on our end.

Just as in any other case harassment, abuse, slurs, or anything against the CG will be acted upon as best we're able.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

Can you explain why that is?
    Because I'm the person uploading it, nobody else.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    Regarding this, I actually can't think of any site that lets you tag this way?
    FA separates by spaces
    DA and Tumblr use twitter-style hashtags (they either use underscores or mash both words together, depending on whatever someone feels like doing)
    Even though multi-word tags on tumblr are hyphenated in links, they still have to be typed as "such and such tag" or they will fail. I'm under the impression it's a way of typing tags out that many people are just accustomed to now, flawed like that or not.

But tag entry difficulties aside - on community tagging, what frustrates me (as I've said... often, it feels like - ) is that in addition to problems addressed already, it leaves no room for what I can only figure to call "public obscurity". A way to not be included in tags results without locking the work or your profile away.
    Some people just like posting to the void! Without being so private as to shut everyone out. And while I understand ways to be discovered should be prioritized on an art site, having no way to not be without literally hiding things disappoints me.

"Tag what you see" has its disadvantages when what's seen isn't what the submitter wanted to have highlighted in the first place, I agree with that. Or maybe they don't want to attract anyone through a specific tag (or any tag, even). The nuances of why a person would post what they don't want to be involved in doesn't matter imo. Having control over your work online is difficult enough, and its organization (through tags) not being in our own hands is just one more thing to worry about when posting here.

I'll admit the catch is not being sure how blacklisting can be addressed while solving this inclusion problem, but. Yeah I'm not a fan of community tagging not being at least opt-in/out, since my experience as a poster is more important to me than my experience as a browser. To talk from that perspective, I do use blacklists, but my enjoyment of the site is not ruled by whether or not it kicks in properly. Even though I have the power to tag things, I honestly haven't because it feels disrespectful. "Do unto others" etc. etc.....

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #59
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJaySF View Post
    Because I'm the person uploading it, nobody else.
    Sure, but you should take a look at the rest of the replies in this thread. There are use cases for allowing the community at large to add tags to submissions. How do you feel about this situation I explained to someone else:

If a user very strongly does not want to view, say, nonconsensual situations depicted in art, a submitter posts more than a few submissions which do depict such situations which are not tagged as such, and the submitter refuses to add a tag to indicate that, what should a user be able to do other than block all submissions by that submitter?

Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    Sure, but you should take a look at the rest of the replies in this thread.
    I did. My stance remains the same.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.