Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Tags are just cataloging. There is nothing special or unique about them and has no real relevance on the art piece. There is absolutely no reason to strangle the feature to solely a select group (ferrets) or CC. Can you imagine a library where only the authors decided where their book was shelved?
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    vyxn
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    Tags are just cataloging. There is nothing special or unique about them and has no real relevance on the art piece. There is absolutely no reason to strangle the feature to solely a select group (ferrets) or CC. Can you imagine a library where only the authors decided where their book was shelved?
    As an author, I absolutely can.

Weasyl
    N/A
    No you can't. If you made a thriller, you can not shove it into the historical fiction section just because it's near the window. You can't also make a recipe book and file it under Mystery. Why are you even bothering arguing, I thought you left?
    Last edited by DrunkCat; 08-22-2015 at 10:49 PM.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics

Weasyl
    vyxn
    I'm glad you know where and what my thoughts are.

As an author, even in the library, it's my job to maximize my readership. so yes, i could imagine it.

Weasyl
    Swanda
    That is how you feel about tags, fine.
    Not everyone do though, and disregarding them completely because of your viewpoint isn't very productive.

Weasyl isn't a library where a third party stock the books and decide where to place them. If that's what you're looking for may I suggest e621? Weasyl is more of an artist stall/table, where the the CC decide how to represent the their art. You could go suggest that CC displayed things differently to attract more people, but you wouldn't just go and do it for them whether they wanted your input or not. And telling them to display it according to Your taste or Leave is beyond bad taste.

Weasyl
    N/A
    You're still following the false pretense that tags are part of the art. They are not. They are a cataloging system. This isn't tumblr-like tags where they morph into something that supports the post like a frame around a painting. Weasyl tags are and should be like a cataloging system that filters which room the art piece is in (not the frame).

Until that distinction is made this thread will be nothing but a deep circular trench.

Quote Originally Posted by pthnrgrrl View Post
    As an author, even in the library, it's my job to maximize my readership. so yes, i could imagine it.
    This is an absolutely empty response. You do know that post count is meaningless, yes?

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #327
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    We've done enough discussion about the morality/logic of why community tagging is good/bad,
    dudes cmon
    please
    Last edited by Noxid; 08-22-2015 at 11:30 PM.

Weasyl
    vyxn
    You're still following the false pretense that tags are part of the art. They are not. They are a cataloging system. This isn't tumblr-like tags where they morph into something that supports the post like a frame around a painting. Weasyl tags are and should be like a cataloging system that filters which room the art piece is in (not the frame).

Until that distinction is made this thread will be nothing but a deep circular trench.

This is an absolutely empty response. You do know that post count is meaningless, yes?
    I don't think it is at all.

I answered your question. Twice in fact.

To continue the analogy. I'm the author. I think I would know what best what categories my work fits in. Yes, critics (taggers) can suggest what they think my work is, but why should I be forced to listen to them? Why can't I reject that and be able to say "no! it belongs with the other mysteries!"

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by pthnrgrrl View Post
    I don't think it is at all.

I answered your question. Twice in fact.

To continue the analogy. I'm the author. I think I would know what best what categories my work fits in. Yes, critics (taggers) can suggest what they think my work is, but why should I be forced to listen to them? Why can't I reject that and be able to say "no! it belongs with the other mysteries!"
    They aren't critics, they are librarians. You made a Mystery novel, it's gonna go into the Mystery section. That's how cataloging works. No one should expect to be treated like a snowflake and have their own shelf on a library unless it's a best seller and therefore cataloged on the "best sellers" shelf.

Again, stop thinking of tags as frames around a painting. They are not, tags are the area they're organized to.

What is so hard to understand? You can imagine being egotistical about labeling but can't you imagine what it would be like going to a library and wanting to simply browse through a specific genre at a glance but instead being greeted to a million singular book stands each "unique" to their authors choosing?

Also please take the time to notice how I was able to form a retort when your posts contain actual substance. Posting garbage and hiding it with a subsequent point does not save the original post from being worthless.
    Last edited by DrunkCat; 08-23-2015 at 12:26 AM.

Weasyl
    vyxn
    Well, no. They're not librarians and the tags aren't areas they're organized into.

Tags, to me, are suggestions. and I ask again, why should I let the critics tell me what my work is and isn't?