Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    vyxn
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFlayer View Post
    How about this, Add an opt-out setting, if you opt-out from community tagging, the piece won't be searchable, I would prefer people be unable to search my stuff entirely if it means they won't touch my tags
    That would get me to start using Weasyl again more. I've deleted all of my personal content before because of a serial tagger who got so annoying I had to go to their page, ask them to stop, tell them they were the reason I'm not using the site and then block them.

I tag my stuff with what I see. I can't control what an overly sensitive searcher wants to block. I'm not a mind reader and i don't want my content overly tagged or abused.

I would think this site would be equal parts creator/owner oriented as much as it is viewer. but it seems the viewers hold all the power.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #42
    Quote Originally Posted by pthnrgrrl View Post
    I'm not a mind reader and i don't want my content overly tagged…
    Can you please explain what you mean by "overly tagged"? I'm not sure I understand how it's possible for a submission to have 'too many' tags unless some were inaccurate.

Weasyl
    Uluri
    My Experience with the Tag System.

I have not experienced any Tagging abuse on any of my artworks. I, in fact, really appreciate it when people tag my content considering how Hard it is for people to find artwork based solely on tags alone via the Search system.
    I like the Tagging System. (Only because of how hard it is to find what I'm looking for.)

HOWEVER, the search system is very Non-Flexible because it searches only via Tags.
    It makes it difficult for Artist's works to be found. May I suggest the search to also include
    Title and/or description as well to help artists become found and Watchers to find more work?

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #44

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Uluri View Post
    My Experience with the Tag System.

I have not experienced any Tagging abuse on any of my artworks. I, in fact, really appreciate it when people tag my content considering how Hard it is for people to find artwork based solely on tags alone via the Search system.
    I like the Tagging System. (Only because of how hard it is to find what I'm looking for.)

HOWEVER, the search system is very Non-Flexible because it searches only via Tags.
    It makes it difficult for Artist's works to be found. May I suggest the search to also include
    Title and/or description as well to help artists become found and Watchers to find more work?
    We've been mulling over ideas on how to improve the search engine. Personally I want submission titles to be searchable, and to do other things to expand it outside of a tag search.

- - - Updated - - -

username blacklisting sounds good

Let me clarify what I said

Submitter Opts-Out of Community Tagging

User using Blacklist won't see Submitter's opted-out submission in Browsing/Searching, only direct linking would allow a blacklisted work to be seen by the user.

User not using Blacklist will see everything in Browsing/Searching, even submissions with Community Tagging disabled by Submitter.

Ah okay I misread then. Thanks for clarifying.

Seems like it could work in theory but I also think a system like that would end up really confusing people as well. I can just imagine a lot of people asking "hey why is my submission showing up for one of my friends but not the other when they run a tag search?" because one friend is using blacklisting and one isn't.

Weasyl
    DragonFlayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    We've been mulling over ideas on how to improve the search engine. Personally I want submission titles to be searchable, and to do other things to expand it outside of a tag search.
    How about the suggestions at Link

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #46

Weasyl
    Matt
    I first want to mention how happy this thread has made me so far. I know community tagging this has been a contentious idea for a lot of people, and it's great seeing it discussed so well.

Anyway in regards to these specific points:
    Submitter Opts-Out of Community Tagging

User using Blacklist won't see Submitter's opted-out submission in Browsing/Searching, only direct linking would allow a blacklisted work to be seen by the user.
    I believe that's how it should go as well, at least in regards to searching. Eliminating the submissions from browsing would work best if the opt-out was on a submission-by-submission basis in my mind. Otherwise user galleries would just be entirely blank, which would not be ideal either.
    User not using Blacklist will see everything in Browsing/Searching, even submissions with Community Tagging disabled by Submitter.
    I'm not sure how I feel about that. At that point we're looking at a series of opt-outs in regard to the tagging process, and this specific function would be difficult to express to users, especially considering how unclear the process has presented to people as it currently is. Say I'm tired of seeing journals about proper vacuum cleaner maintenance, which is a real thing that happens all the time. If I blacklist "proper_vacuum_maintenance" suddenly a bunch of submissions disappear. It'd likely look an error more than an intentional feature.
    Idea for Direct Linking of Blacklisted Submissions:
    User gets a Warning Prompt telling them why the submission is in their blacklist, be it tags or username, before redirecting straight into submission after they consent to press an 'agree/accept/ok' button.
    That's actually how the system is set up right now. We're 100% on board with that.
    Alternate Idea for Hiding Blacklisted Content:
    The content still shows up in Browsing/Searching but shows a 'WARNING' Thumbnail displaying the matching blacklist tag/username instead of the submission's original thumbnail.
    This could be an interesting compromise. However, it'd take effort to make it so that galleries didn't get ugly really quick and, given the amount of coordination it could take on the development end, would not probably not be a priority. While a compromise might be something to look into down the line, but we're probably not at that stage yet.

Again, though, it's awesome to hear your and everyone else's ideas on this.

Thanks again, everyone!
    Look at all the fun we're having.

Weasyl
    vyxn
    Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    Can you please explain what you mean by "overly tagged"? I'm not sure I understand how it's possible for a submission to have 'too many' tags unless some were inaccurate.
    I could, sure.

If an artist or the person that commissioned the piece tagged their work, that should be good enough. I had people come in and put tags for things that weren't even in the sketch that I had drawn for me so I had a reference pic.

There can be too many tags. That's what I mean. I feel as though Weasyl is a site that gives too much power to the viewers and not enough to the artists or the commissioners.

there must be away to stop people from tagging your work. That's the reason I stopped using this site and stick to inkbunny, FA and SoFurry

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #48
    Quote Originally Posted by pthnrgrrl View Post
    If an artist or the person that commissioned the piece tagged their work, that should be good enough. I had people come in and put tags for things that weren't even in the sketch that I had drawn for me so I had a reference pic.

There can be too many tags. That's what I mean. I feel as though Weasyl is a site that gives too much power to the viewers and not enough to the artists or the commissioners.
    Okay. Just to make sure I understand: a submission can have too many tags when there are some number of tags which don't describe the submission.

Weasyl
    vyxn
    Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    Okay. Just to make sure I understand: a submission can have too many tags when there are some number of tags which don't describe the submission.

That's one aspect of it. I've also had a person repeat many of my same tags. or put tags in just to put tags in. The whole tagging system is pointless because other users can add tags. It makes things messy when all I want to do is post the art or the story in the stupid pdf or specific txt format that weasyl forces on us and tag it specifically as it's tagged on FA or SoFurry, then here comes Tweedledumb thinking it needs more tags or it isn't descriptive enough or that he feels like trolling.

Hence, we need either to remove the tagging features and start from scratch or an opt-in to this feature of allowing others to tag your works. Well, in this case it'd be an opt-out since the feature is unfortunately implemented.

Weasyl
    DragonFlayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about that. At that point we're looking at a series of opt-outs in regard to the tagging process, and this specific function would be difficult to express to users, especially considering how unclear the process has presented to people as it currently is. Say I'm tired of seeing journals about proper vacuum cleaner maintenance, which is a real thing that happens all the time. If I blacklist "proper_vacuum_maintenance" suddenly a bunch of submissions disappear. It'd likely look an error more than an intentional feature.
    Just imagine users that don't use the blacklists, users that are okay with whatever, they would get fucked over, unable to see anything people submitted with the Opt-Out option enabled, they would have to know about the Submitter to actually see it, that's what I mean with users not using the blacklist being able to see content with the community tagging disabled

Just think of it as a flag
    User has 0 words/usernames in their blacklist? they see everything, from cutesy things to Cthulhu's slimy rear
    User has at least 1 word/username in their blacklist? All community flagging disabled submissions are hidden from that user now

Now, I get what you mean about people not understanding or knowing the Blacklist system exists, perhaps some extra visibility would help, for example:

Click on a submission Tag, Dropdown menu shows up with options like 'Search' 'Edit' 'Blacklist'
    Click on an User's name, Dropdown menu shows up with 'Blacklist' so you don't see posts from an user, but don't straight up block them as Fiz suggested

Oh, and I guess if you are following/friending an user, I guess that user shouldn't trip your blacklist, maybe? I mean, you are willingly following an user that potentially posts stuff you dislike, perhaps you tolerate that person enough to still be a follower, just sayin'