Weasyl
    Flygon

Excessive Vertical Gap between Thumbnails; Easier Mass-Thumbnail Replacement; Thumbs!

I've seen that "square thumbnails getting trapped inside tall rectangles" thing before. It's clearly a bug or a design flaw, since there's no way anyone intended it to be displayed this way. Don't know why this thread is being ignored, but I've noticed that that tends to be the case for any threads that admins didn't create themselves.

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
    Weasyl
    lagos
    Hello, Flygon. Thank you for the well-written feedback. No need to apologize for the length: The comprehensiveness is appreciated. I'll respond to the points as best I can, although I can't offer concrete promises on much. As usual, this is just my own lowly take on things and shouldn't be pointed to as weasyl policy, etc.

There are some whitespace issues on the new thumbnails, especially for the smaller images, such as old thumbnails. The top and bottom borders are especially noticeable on old thumbs and characters. There's not a perfect solution to this in general, because we want the height of thumbnails within a row to have a uniform height so that they will scan more easily. I agree that in the cases such as the example you provide where all the thumbnails in a row are a consistent <250px height, however, we could give the entire row a smaller height. It would be good to do another pass on the frontend display of the thumbnails and whitespace, especially to tweak some issues with characters, but there's not a timeline on that.

Skipping ahead a bit because we're discussing CSS-like things: You're certainly not alone in requesting a grid view, and given the time that's passed between the launch and your post, it's safe to say that the variable width thumbnails haven't grown on you. The trickiest aspect of the grid layout is how to make it work well with non-square thumbs (force-squared thumbs was not something that bothered everyone, but overall it was definitely the number one site complaint). At this point, a grid view is not on the dev roadmap as far as I know (mostly because we don't want to divide effort maintaining two drastically different layouts), but someone in the 'Pushing Boundaries' thread has made a browser side solution that may help you.

On the subject of the thumbnail size, yes... we probably overdid the size a bit. I think the thumbs are gorgeous personally, but if we did it over, I'd probably want something smaller both for reasons of bandwidth and layout. A browser side solution could fix the latter as a stopgap, and we're discussing it.

I like the drag and drop idea. I think the biggest obstacle there is I don't see how it would benefit mobile users, and we tend to avoid spending time implementing things that only work well on the desktop (such as hover). On the other hand, I could see a strong argument in this case since uploading content (as opposed to browsing) isn't yet common on mobile anyway.

Weasyl
    Flygon
    Mm, thanks for the reply. I wasn't expecting a reply, honestly!

I don't have much to add. But I am thankful someone took a squizz.