Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Viciviser
    [OOC: I'll get to responses as soon as I can. Been juggling some projects and it's hard for me to keep things in mind on where the story need to go. I'll ask for now that no one post again until I have a chance to respond. Except Jared/Rashid. You can because I want to give you the chance to interact with the group or camp scene a bit more if possible.]

Weasyl
    Viciviser
    There were old logs hollowed out into low, bench-like forms. Quintin was sitting on one near the old fire pit when Mei approached him. Eventually she broke his distracted thoughts, ears seeming to unstop as Mei poked him. She pointed out how they hadn't had a proper conversation but she thanked him for helping her. He went to say something but instead he looked startled as he got a kiss on the cheek. He caught his breath and tried to recover. Jee- try'n act like ya got some sense, Quin. He thought angrily at his embarrassment.

Mei mentioned his mother and then explained her situation growing up. He listened intently to her story. He blinked in surprise when he found her leaning against him all the sudden. He brushed some of her hair from her eyes tenderly.
    "My mum is sweet-hearted. Twas years 'fore she fully accepted me since I has my pa's mug... Bad memories ya know? But she always cared for me. Still does."
    He wrapped a muscled arm around her.
    "Tis a sorrow ya had neither mum nor pa when young. Ain' an easy life, lass. Ya got a strong heart ya do."
    He said and then nuzzled her face lightly with his nose. She had a glorious scent. Being this close it was all he could do not to pant. He was tempted to go in for a kiss, but he held back a moment.
    "Ya know, yer pa Talix don't approve of us being' together. Mayhap we get hitched when he ain't lookin'" He joked and then snickered.

Eliizer was able to find his wolf guide out by one of the walls. He was shaking his head and he looked at the gecko approaching with a glare. Eliizer slowed his walk and held up a hand.
    "Marx... are you alright?"

The grizzled wolf-man kept staring him down with barely withheld disgust.
    "Taking all those people to die are you?" He said and spit on the ground.
    Eliizer shook his head, "No, I'll keep them safe."
    "I kept checking the borders for you. There aren't any monsters coming out lately. I shot down some goblins though. They were pouring out of one of the caves nearby. No telling if it's connected to the ruins though. I wasn't going in to find out."
    He reported but he still kept a frustrated expression on his face.
    "What is it, Marx?" The gecko asked of him. "You know I left to hire those willing to go into the ruins. Why do you look at me like that?"

Marx spit again.
    "I expected roguish degenerates. Filthy individuals eager for your promise of wealth. No one who'd be missed... But you brought a scaled beast, a knight, a guard FROM Alkester! Two strange merchants and a lady of my kind. The guard should know better! Why is he here? Why are any of them here!?"
    He raised his voice angrily. (They are too far for anyone to hear by the way. Unless there is actual yelling.)

Eliizer blinked rapidly and tried to make sense of this, but he could not help his eyes narrowing.
    "If I brought the types you expected I'd likely be dead and robbed before the night was out. You're not making sense. I still don't understand why you're acting like this."

Marx walked up to Eliizer and grabbed him roughly by the shoulder.
    "The fucking traps in there! I'd never gone in before, but no, I had to see for myself this time. Every single trap resets. They're all magic and intricate. No way to dismantle them. No way for a group to avoid the traps AND the beasties in there. One person might survive by being quiet and careful. I did, but I didn't even go far before I almost got my tail sheered off and my face burned! How the hell are you going to keep this little 'army' safe, eh?"

Eliizer's face darkened in anger as he jerked his arm up in a quick motion and grabbed Marx's wrist in a way that made the wolf wince and then pushed his arm back so that the wolf was forced to stumble back.
    "Always surveying... Tch." He said with a little bit of agitation that the wolf was skulking around their camp without anyone noticing.
    "Calm yourself Marx. I thought these things through. And fortune was with me tonight."

Marx was the one to be confused now.
    Eliizer grimaced at first but his face lightened up as he explained, "I understand your aggravation now. But one of those merchants is a possible translator. The traps have detailed inscriptions and they do have ways to be rendered inert for a time if you can read the markings. The other is not a merchant but a sorcerer of sorts. He's powerful enough that the wolf, Mei, is wary of him. She's a wild mage herself. I think that each of them can handle themselves. The knight and reptile were quick to pledge their aid to me unwaveringly. Mei seems desperate enough just to not be in debt. The guard is infatuated with her enough to brave the dangers. I can make this work."

Marx seemed to calm down with what Eliizer said but he still was not happy.
    "I'm not going. I know that much. I'll just stay here around the ruins and watch and hope that anyone comes out alive... or I can help the wounded if you retreat. You better retreat if you're likely to lose someone.. you hear me? I've seen enough death in my lifetime."

Eliizer nodded, "We need your eyes on the animals anyway. And I will. I promise you."
    Marx finally let up and walked off.

Eliizer was only gone for about 40 minutes. He returned and Marx was not with him.
    "I was able to speak to the ranger. He's still surveying the area and will keep doing that until we have come back out of the ruins. His name is Marx. Antara, he will watch you cart and mule. Rashid, he will watch you horse. He has his own little encampment in a copse close to the woods for cover. So there's no need to worry about monsters or brigands getting to them. He's a keen shot and a good protector."
    He explained.

If anyone had questions or tried to address him he didn't leave room for it. He wasn't very friendly at the moment.

"It's past 3 a.m. Everyone, get much needed rest." He told them in something very close to an order.
    "Do not bother me unless it's important. I sleep lightly and I need rest if we are to stay alive tomorrow."
    He nodded to Talix in thanks before going into the tent that the knight had set up for him. His medium-length tail trailed behind with it's rounded, club-like tip disappearing last. It was obvious his visit with the ranger had put him in a serious state.
    Last edited by Viciviser; 09-23-2015 at 02:53 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Antara gave Elizer a nod when he re entered the camp. It made him feel happy that raisins would be cared for while they were inside but the idea of the unseen ranger lurking in the wilderness put him on edge. Antara spent the night in a mediatative state, drawing in as much mana from the forest as possible without leaving any lasting damage to it. At the pace he was going he estimated that he could have a full store within the hour and still have time for a nap before dawn.

Once he had finished Antara looked at his surroundings. He had rushed a bit too much. The grass in a 14' circle around him was wilted and sickly. Antara was highly disappointed in himself. It had been years since he had overtaken and caused something like this. Perhaps it was due to lack of sleep, or maybe apprehension at tommorrows events? Regardless he made a mental note to be more careful in the future.

Antara's sleep that night was restless. His dreams tormented by a grinning face in a cloud of blackness which seemed to devour all light. It just kept repeating the words, "just a little more... have a little more"
    WHO STOLE MAH MUFFINS!

Weasyl
    admirallupine
    "It's past 3 a.m. Everyone, get much needed rest." He told them in something very close to an order.
    "Do not bother me unless it's important. I sleep lightly and I need rest if we are to stay alive tomorrow."
    He nodded to Talix in thanks before going into the tent that the knight had set up for him. His medium-length tail trailed behind with it's rounded, club-like tip disappearing last. It was obvious his visit with the ranger had put him in a serious state.
    "As well as myself? I said I would keep watch, but it seems Antara's ward might be enough."
    Talix folded his shirt and scarf and put it in has bag as he walked back from the river and noticed the others getting ready for bed.
    "Good night everyone, sleep well."
    When he gets to his tent, he asks,
    "Well, if we end up not taking shifts, we'll be able to get into the ruins sooner with everyone equally rested. If this is alright with you, Eliizer?"
    He spread out his bedroll in the tent and waited for Eliizer's okay to sleep.

Weasyl
    Viciviser
    Eliizer was glad to see Talix in the tent so quickly simply because he didn't want the knight's entrance to wake him up. He was already spreading on his back. No bedroll.
    "Antara laid a ward? Hmm... alright. Marx can take on anything outside of the ward. Yes we should all get rest then."

He didn't look at Talix after that. Just folded his arms behind his head and closed his large eyes. There was a pause before-
    "In the morning... I will inform everyone about the ruins... as best I can."
    He struggled to say. He kept his eyes closed. There was an air of tension about him. He slowly tried to let it go and just get some sleep.

Weasyl
    admirallupine
    He didn't look at Talix after that. Just folded his arms behind his head and closed his large eyes. There was a pause before-
    "In the morning... I will inform everyone about the ruins... as best I can."
    He struggled to say. He kept his eyes closed. There was an air of tension about him. He slowly tried to let it go and just get some sleep.
    Talix laid there looking up at the tent's ceiling.
    "I look forward to it," he yawned, "just wish I could be on better terms with, you know..."
    He didn't expect Eliizer to respond and stared up for a few minutes, listening to the crickets chirping before slowly drifting off to sleep.

Talix was forging some blades, only taking about a few seconds on each one it seemed. Every time he lifted a blade to inspect his work, they were always warped into various odd shapes. He didn't really react much to it, after all, this was normal. However, his dwarf boss, Eli, sighed and shook his head with each new blade. Was there anything he could do to impress his boss? Talix tried to go about forging the blades differently, but he only knew one way to make them. He couldn't understand what was wrong, as the swords seemed perfectly fine to him. He shrugged and walked away down a dirt path in an open field. They had been working at a crossroad in the middle of nowhere. "Lighten up." He suddenly began to float upward. Now this was not normal. He wanted to get back down onto the ground, but he saw something hovering in front of him: a sword. After adjusting to this floaty sensation, he reached out to it, but he grabbed it by the blade. He didn't grasp it particularly hard, but when he looked at his hand, it was covered in his blood. He gave the sword a betrayed look, and realized he was gradually descending back to earth. He lost the control he had and was approaching the ground head first.

Talix woke up with a jolt, as if he'd just fallen to the floor. About an hour or so had passed since falling asleep. A bit annoyed, he grumbled to himself.
    "My dreams never make any sense..."

He looked over at Eliizer, hoping he didn't wake him. He exhaled quietly, closed his eyes, and feel into a deep sleep shortly after. If he dreamed anything at this point, he couldn't remember it.

Weasyl
    N/A
    At the mention of marriage, Mei grinned. "But we've only just met! Let's try to get through this first, shall we? Then I promise you can take me out on a proper date." She said, half-jokingly, inching closer to Quintin, having many times yearned to find a suitable male and settle down to raise a family. She was beginning to feel chilly and his warmth soothed her. "Ya got a strong heart ya do." Quintin said. "Thank you," Mei replied, casting her eyes down towards the ground, focusing on a leaf that was gently rocking back and forth in the breeze. "Although it doesn't always feel that way... that dream... it really shook me; right down to my core. I've been afraid to lose anyone else in my life after my mom died." She had never completely come to terms with it, being so young and living with no guidance.

Two large tears welled up in the corners of her eyes. This conversation was bringing back painful memories that she had tried to forget for many, many years. She blinked, causing them to splatter on the ground. "I don't know if I can handle any more loss, I don't think I completely thought this journey through." She sniffled. "What am I doing? Am I crying again?" She wiped her nose and tears. "Silly me," she laughed, trying to lighten the mood again, but only half-succeeding, "the first real conversation we have and it ends with me in tears. I'm sorry... I am just overly-emotional tonight i guess." She looked up at Quintin with big, wet eyes. She was no longer crying, but still felt weakened and tired.

She waited for Quintin's response.

"Thank you for looking out for me... w-..." She hesitated, unsure about the next part. "Would it be ok if I slept next to you for tonight?" She blushed, embarrassed at her own boldness. She kissed him again on the cheek and curled up at his feet, feeling secure and warm, a feeling she had not experienced in a long, long time.
    Last edited by Mei; 09-23-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Weasyl
    Jaredthefox92
    (Okay, sorry I'm late, again.)

"Greetings friends." Rashid says as he approaches the small camp on horseback with supplies. His white tunic and red keyfyah was illuminated in the moonlight as he approached the campsite.

- - - Updated - - -

(Okay, sorry I'm late, again.)

"Greetings friends." Rashid says as he approaches the small camp on horseback with supplies. His white tunic and red keyfyah was illuminated in the moonlight as he approached the campsite.

Weasyl
    Viciviser
    Quintin found himself practically holding Mei at this point with her scooting up against him. He felt astoundingly warm in his armor at this point and its... constrictions seemed so uncomfortable so suddenly. He was still paying attention as she spoke but it was hard to push this sensation aside. He cooled off a little bit when he noticed he gorgeous green eyes brimming with tears. Tears fell, sniffling, trying to push the sad thoughts away. He reached and rubbed away the tears around her eyelids tenderly.
    "Shhh, darlin' ain't no reason ta hold back." He said to her before she spoke again.

What she asked had him extremely hot and bothered again. He had been so careful before because he didn't want to mess things up with her, but damn... if opportunity wasn't slapping him in the face with a spiked gauntlet right now.
    "There's nothing I'd prefer more, Mei." He said and kept his hands on either side of her face, drawing her up to kiss. He kept it short but passionate and then pulled her face back to look into her eyes.
    "Y'r the prettiest lass I ever came across. Body and soul." He said with a slow grin spreading on his face. It was obvious he was flushed.
    "I.. still need ta get my tent up. I'll be like greased lightnin' I will." He said and pulled her up with him before pulling her arm with him, his hand going down her arm, to her hand, and eventually letting go of her finger tips before he gave a wink and went to grab his few supplies off the cart. He didn't have much he was able to bring since it was so sudden and he only had what was at the guard tower. But thankfully there had been a tent. He was pretty sure it belonged to Pyriam. He hoped the old stoat wouldn't mind.

As he was setting up, Eliizer returned, said his bit and retired.
    "Damn, what's eatin' the newt?" Quintin muttered as he finished putting in the stakes.
    He turned to Mei, showing all his teeth in an ecstatic grin. He motioned to her and went inside. He immediately began stripping off his armor. It never felt so uncomfortable. He also took off the bit of layering and his shirt to expose the tan, muscled skin of his upper body... which was at this point shimmering with sweat. A few scars marked his sides, back, and abdomen. He hoped she had been watching him. He turned around slowly, apparently done. He did not remove his trousers. Maybe he wanted to make sure he wasn't being too hopeful or overstep his bounds?
    "Well... there's only this one bedroll but I figure we c'n spread it out enough or I can let you take it."
    He said as he unrolled it and put it down for her. He licked his chops eagerly. His tail kept wagging a little bit and then stilling itself.

Eliizer's close proximity to the knight did push him to a state of half-awareness when Talix said something. He couldn't recall if he had been dreaming... he had been so exhausted. He felt bone tired... so tired. A far cry from his normal energy and typically carefree attitude. How did anyone do it? How could anyone ever be responsible for the lives of others? Nothing had happened yet and he was already strung out and spent. Slowly he slipped back into deeper sleep while contemplating such matters.

He didn't dream of death or fears or whatever was on his mind. He dreamt of colors, flashes, emptiness, a shining. The shining was from the egg. He felt it like a pulse. Like he had possibly when in his own leathery egg before birth. It called to him. He had felt it before... before the dragon had awoken to slaughter him. There was a moment where he felt as if his spirit was removed from his body.
    He awoke in a place he had never been, in a spacious oaken bed. The walls and floors were also made of strong woods.. let alone so well-crafted and expensive looking. Suddenly he found himself waking again, mostly in darkness in a cold cave, and small figures surrounded him snarling. He pulls away from them to wake yet again. Another spacious bed... this one familiar... the minotaur, Lysander's bed. His bare scales blush darkly purple and he gathers the covers over him in a panic. He awakes again... and again, and again. This process never seeming to end. In some he is not even Eliizer anymore... Finally, he's not awaking from lying down. He's already standing in a spacious forge. The tink-tink-tink of a hammer going. A large figure is hunched over his work. Two of its arms are working the metal while the other two push the bellows to stoke the forge's fire. Eliizer feels a ringing in his head. He blinks and tries to keep focus on this blacksmith, but everything begins to dim and grow fuzzy.

Eliizer opens his eyes. The sun had risen, what seems like a while ago from the angle of the shadows. He blinks and his tongue slips out to clear his eyes. He looks next to him to see if Talix is still in the tent with him.
    Last edited by Viciviser; 09-24-2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: fixed a redundant part

Weasyl
    N/A
    Antara awoke just after dawn and walked to a nice patch of sunshine. Antara stared at the entrance to the dungeon when an idea struck him. Antara searched the area for a field mouse for several minutes before locating one. Snareing it with magic Antara picked up the bound terrified little creature. "I am not going to hurt you little one. I do however need a favor."

Antara wove several spells onto the mouse which would (hopefully) allow him to direct it and see through its eyes. He turned the weave inward so that the faint magic would be near invisible to those sensitive to such things then carried the minisclue rodent to the entrance.

Antara's intention had been to use the mouse for some light scouting then release it back into the wild with a weave that would hide it from predators as a thanks. What happened however was that the mouse made it some 20 yards in before the connection was severed suddenly. The mouses last thoughts flooded back over the connection to Antara filling him with guilt and revulsion. Antara fled to the edge of the wood alternating between retching and sobbing. Watching something die was one thing but actually hearing the last thoughts of a living being as it is ripped to shreds shook Antara to his very core.
    WHO STOLE MAH MUFFINS!