Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Any pro artists here?

  1. #1

    Any pro artists here?

    I think this is the most appropriate place for this topic, but if not, my apologies.

    Just curious, is there anyone here that works as a professional artist (that is, creating art full-time as your primary source of income; not necessarily working for a studio)?

    Myself, I work as a 2D artist for a Disney-owned social media company whose primary focus is Facebook/mobile games. I mainly designing concepts for in-game assets, but regularly create promotional art for our various titles, as well as localization work. Apart from that, I occasionally work as a freelance colorist/letterer for independent comics and as an illustrator for small-press pen-and-paper RPGs.

  2. #2
    Premium User FishNChips's Avatar

    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,052
    Man, I'd love the opportunity or the skills to become a professional.

  3. #3
    Premium User Kayla's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Kayla
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    30
    Right here, Aster. I do art as my primary source of income; However, the client-base is rather small, because..yeah..furries. But I'm managing. I'm hoping to get out of this line of work one day, and do what I've been really wanting to do for years.

  4. #4
    <

    currently working on a couple of licensed comics, i do gig posters and graphic design and other stuff on the side
    might be workin for a studio soon

  5. #5
    Meds and Monsters Morphology's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Morphology
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by RORYDESTROYER View Post
    <

    currently working on a couple of licensed comics, i do gig posters and graphic design and other stuff on the side
    might be workin for a studio soon
    Awesome! Which comics are you working on, and what do you do in particular? Do you do specific elements of the comic like inking, or the entire process?

    I'd love to do art professionally someday. My friend and I are thinking of working on designing and improving animatronics and special effects techniques and making commercial versions of movie effects, but I think that will be more of a commissioned hobby than anything.

  6. #6
    Retired Staff Thestory's Avatar

    Weasyl
    TheStory
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    108
    Right now art is my sole income and I hope I can keep it that way. Recently I've been pandering my skills off towards the fur community to make money while I finish my portfolio/demo reel. I'd like to get into a studio at some point.
    I have done freelance work on a commercial, building a CG cat for Mattel. I have also done some design and modeling for a demon in an independent film. I never got paid so I jumped ship. They ended up finishing the film but had someone else rework and finish the models.
    I also was a creature artist for a sci-fi idea that was being pitched. It hasn't gotten off the ground yet but hopefully they get somewhere with it since their comic has been getting some spotlight.

    That's about it. The main money is coming in from the furs however so I am grateful for that. its keeping me fed enough to finish my work.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphology View Post
    Awesome! Which comics are you working on, and what do you do in particular? Do you do specific elements of the comic like inking, or the entire process?

    I'd love to do art professionally someday. My friend and I are thinking of working on designing and improving animatronics and special effects techniques and making commercial versions of movie effects, but I think that will be more of a commissioned hobby than anything.
    that would be really cool!! i know a couple of folks who work on practical effects and it's beyond my comprehension, but super super impressive. the closest i've ever done to something like that was building a maquette which i suuuucked at

    anyway uh, pencilling and inking and toning for http://www.okay-audrey.com/2012/07/konqueror.html (my old name is on that spot illo though, hahahaha)

    and colors for a thing that's nda

    i did some coloring stuff for a while before that, it's more natural for me to block in colors by hand because i'm so used to flatting, hahahahaha ;___; i find it kinda relaxing..

  8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    [Logic is Erratic] Taw's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestory View Post
    Right now art is my sole income and I hope I can keep it that way. Recently I've been pandering my skills off towards the fur community to make money while I finish my portfolio/demo reel. I'd like to get into a studio at some point.
    I have done freelance work on a commercial, building a CG cat for Mattel. I have also done some design and modeling for a demon in an independent film. I never got paid so I jumped ship. They ended up finishing the film but had someone else rework and finish the models.
    I also was a creature artist for a sci-fi idea that was being pitched. It hasn't gotten off the ground yet but hopefully they get somewhere with it since their comic has been getting some spotlight.

    That's about it. The main money is coming in from the furs however so I am grateful for that. its keeping me fed enough to finish my work.
    3D modelling, it sounds like to me for the first bit.

    I'm a recent grad of a 3D Game Animation and Modelling program with a focus on hard surface modelling and lighting and texturing. Working on improving my skills and scrapping the demo reel my school made me put together since it was rushed and I don't want unfinished or rushed work on it, and would like to see what I can create now (I'm thinking of a mech and some sort of scifi environment!).

    Hoping to work professionally in one of these positions sometime down the road:
    -3D Modeller
    -Level Designer
    -Environment Artist
    -Lighting and Texture Artist

  9. #9
    Regular oneandonly's Avatar
    Weasyl
    oneandonly
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    94
    Yeah, I'm totally pro-artist!


    See what I did thur?

  10. #10
    Retired Staff Thestory's Avatar

    Weasyl
    TheStory
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Taw View Post
    3D modelling, it sounds like to me for the first bit.

    I'm a recent grad of a 3D Game Animation and Modelling program with a focus on hard surface modelling and lighting and texturing. Working on improving my skills and scrapping the demo reel my school made me put together since it was rushed and I don't want unfinished or rushed work on it, and would like to see what I can create now (I'm thinking of a mech and some sort of scifi environment!).

    Hoping to work professionally in one of these positions sometime down the road:
    -3D Modeller
    -Level Designer
    -Environment Artist
    -Lighting and Texture Artist
    Oh yeah? What school did you go to? I graduated from A.I. specializing in Character Modeling. Sadly the school is a bit of a let down. Some great teachers here and there but the structure of the school's classes and rushed requirements hamper any skill building. You really have to grind outside of school to get even decent.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •