Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Windows 10 upgrade!

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Weasyl
    Noxid

Weasyl
    Vae
    Apparently [Windows 10 shares your wifi password with people].
    Just a heads up, for anyone who wants to disable that (instructions in the link) immediately.

Seriously, the more I hear about this shit, the more the OS upgrade sounds fishy as hell.
    What are they thinking?
    Last edited by Vae; 08-01-2015 at 03:28 AM.
    Resident Koopa Trash

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #13
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    they tell you about that option when you install W10 though, and it's off by default according to my friend who installed it a few days ago

so it will, but only if you let it

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    well right now i have windows 8.1 im getting 10 once it lets me download it. but yeah ill miss the tile screen but hey i hear that windows ten will let you play xbox games on you PC.
    it takes a real man to call sin out by its real name
    -anonomus

אב, סלח להם; כי הם לא יודעים מה הם עושים
    -ישועה

profile pic by uncle-noob on teen furs.

Weasyl
    sayum
    I was going to upgrade to Windows 10 because, hey, I like new things! But lately I have been concerned about privacy and I have been becoming more aware about laws regarding privacy and copyright. Windows 10 is turning out to be super invasive when it comes to that. They are collecting a lot of unnecessary day, keylogging, and using your habits to predict what you may want in the future. Call me crazy but I would rather my computer not know more about me than I do.

A lot of the privacy options are just that, options. They can be turned off in Windows 10 which is what I did for 8.1 but it still concerns me enough to not want to grab the free upgrade. Difficult to decide though since I will not want to pay for Windows 10 in the future.

I heard from a friend that Sai stopped working once they upgraded to Windows 10, so I'm a bit nervous about trying. I'd rather wait and see what others say. Sai is my main art program.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclivius View Post
    I heard from a friend that Sai stopped working once they upgraded to Windows 10, so I'm a bit nervous about trying. I'd rather wait and see what others say. Sai is my main art program.
    [link to a fix for Sai not working]

On a related note, my friend's drivers for their tablet stopped working in Win10.
    But I don't know what the fix for that is.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    well i just got windows 10 a few days ago..... so far there have been some minor problems... and one major one... but over all its been ok....
    it takes a real man to call sin out by its real name
    -anonomus

אב, סלח להם; כי הם לא יודעים מה הם עושים
    -ישועה

profile pic by uncle-noob on teen furs.

So far my main problem is that Firefox will occasionally glitch out and go black. Minimizing and restoring the window fixes it, but it's still annoying. Part of that seems to be that they do all the window drawing stuff themselves though, so it's probably all on FF.

I've turned off most of the keylogging/ad/whatever crap, and found a couple of registry edits that make it so Windows will ask you if you want to install updates and restart, instead of just doing it.

Save as `AU.reg` and double-click:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "AUOptions"=dword:00000003
    "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001
    First one says "ask before installing" and the second one says "no reboot pls."

Okay, so I did the upgrade myself and could talk about it, being a guy who's trained in IT and stuff

Personally I like Windows 10. It appears to be less buggy than Windows 8 at launch, which is good.

There's the problems of Wifi Sense (the sharing thing) and some other privacy things, but those were in Windows 8/8.1 as well and could be disabled there.

Cortana, imo, is kinda fishy, seeing as it uses your Microsoft account to do things, which may or may not lead to spam. (I don't know this, Belgium doesn't have Cortana built in)

Biggest feature, if you're a gamer, is DX12. I heard it can make games look gorgeous, but as far as I know, there's no games yet using DX12. It has been confirmed numerous times to have increased average FPS in games like World of Warcraft, though, so there's that.

That's all I really know about it. OH, I forgot the built-in Xbox app, which allows OS-level game capture and, to my own experience, doesn't slow down gameplay. It also has that nifty "Record the last X seconds" feature the consoles have too, so that might be helpful. For now, this only appears to work on windowed mode, though. So take that into account.