Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Windows 10 upgrade!

Weasyl
    N/A

Windows 10 upgrade!

https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...untries-today/

Saw the lil icon at the bottom and decided to do a bit of snooping. Think it's worth the upgrade or would you prefer to stick with your current OS? I'm quite content with Windows 7 so I don't think I'll be making the switch, but if there's really great reviews on it then I might just have to!

For the ones who jumped ahead and got it, how is it?

I upgraded today. So far it seems fairly nice, basically 7 with a splash of 8.1's UI, but there are a few little things about it I'm 'eh' about. Mainly the "each monitor has it's own wallpaper slideshow" thing that I can't change (I want a slideshow, but I want them all to have the same wallpaper). But for the most part it's not too different.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Upgrade took four hours to do and now my desktop runs slower than a virus-riddled Windows 95 and literally nothing works. I was very hyped but suffice it to say, I'm very disappointed and can't wait for the Day One patch... which I hope will be an automatic update since that's be the only way I could get it.

Meanwhile, the upgrade barely took 10 mins on my mom's laptop and it runs perfectly for her, so it's basically a case-by-case thing. My advice is, wait they fix their shit and release a SP for it.

Weasyl
    Sutekh_the_Steak
    Took about 2.5 hours from downloading to being installed, and so far everything works fine! The main features are all pretty much the same, and the new ones I'm probably never gonna use (like Cortana and Edge) because they're a bit useless to me really.

The only thing bugging me is the audio equalizer I've fine-tuned over the past year or so doesn't work with Windows 10 - I've downloaded a few patches for this from Toshiba but none of them are working, so in the meantime I've found another audio equalizer which seems to be doing the job fine. c:

Overall I'd say the UI is more different from Windows 8 than I expected it to be, in terms of new icons and stuff - they're all a bit different so far as I can see, unlike Windows 8 which had identical icons to Windows 7. Some have been totally redesigned (e.g. wi-fi icon) whereas most are just more streamlined I guess. The start menu being back is pretty nice too, although it really shouldn't have gone in the first place.

Speedwise, for me it's still still as speedy as Windows 8 was so that's fine. Only difference is it now takes about two minutes to boot up instead of the usual 30 seconds as it was with Windows 8, which is a wee bit annoying. Hopefully there'll be a patch that speeds a few things up in the future though.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    Meanwhile, the upgrade barely took 10 mins on my mom's laptop and it runs perfectly for her, so it's basically a case-by-case thing. My advice is, wait they fix their shit and release a SP for it.
    This happens all the time with Windows, even when they aren't releasing an entirely new one and it's just a small thing. Personally I'm not even going to touch until I have to buy a new computer, I don't see why I should bother when they have the track record of Bethesda for buggy releases.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Just heard from my bro (which he read from here) is that there's advertisements in the start menu now? Also, apparently there's a lot less privacy as information is sent to Microsoft. I realize a link from gamefaqs isn't the most reliable, but I think it's definitely best (or at least for those who are worry warts like me xD) to wait until it's polished more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    Upgrade took four hours to do and now my desktop runs slower than a virus-riddled Windows 95 and literally nothing works. I was very hyped but suffice it to say, I'm very disappointed and can't wait for the Day One patch... which I hope will be an automatic update since that's be the only way I could get it.

That's a big part of why I waited, I don't think I could stand having such lag (& having hardly anything work, ofc!). Sorry to hear about your desktop though, keeping my fingers crossed for ya that the patch fixes your issues.

(Appreciate the input, guys! )

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    I'm waiting to update mainly because I don't know if SAI, FireAlpaca, or GIMP is compatible with 10 yet. Also don't know if PS Elements 8 will work with it.

As for how it runs, I have a friend who owns a computer repair shop and web hosting that says it runs a little faster than 7. I don't remember him telling me anything about it being buggy.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Weasyl
    Sutekh_the_Steak
    Quote Originally Posted by GlaringFeline View Post
    I'm waiting to update mainly because I don't know if SAI, FireAlpaca, or GIMP is compatible with 10 yet. Also don't know if PS Elements 8 will work with it.
    GIMP runs fine on my copy of Windows 10, dunno about the other programmes though.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    Just heard from my bro (which he read from here) is that there's advertisements in the start menu now? Also, apparently there's a lot less privacy as information is sent to Microsoft. I realize a link from gamefaqs isn't the most reliable, but I think it's definitely best (or at least for those who are worry warts like me xD) to wait until it's polished more.
    There's more details about the privacy issue [here]
    and how to turn off all its intrusive, data mining garbage [here].

I'm not upgrading for at least a month or two, just because I don't want to deal with the hassle that comes with fresh, unpatched software. (Especially involving an OS, which the entire computer depends on.)
    But this is definitely a dick move on MS' part. There's that catch that I figured would happen with a free OS upgrade. Didn't really think they were doing it just out of the kindness of their hearts.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Did the upgrade on my laptop today without any issues; the installer didn't even have any issues with booting from grub. They've definitely cleaned up the interface a good bit since Windows 8/8.1, although a lot of the configuration and administrative tools are still legacy. The new virtual desktops seem stable enough, so hopefully some third-party applications will add in more features to make them comparable to older solutions like dexpot. I still haven't used it enough to say anything about performance, and my workflow really isn't sensitive to changes to the Windows desktop.