Weasyl
    Uluri

Collections: Feature Discussion

Do you use the Collections Feature? Do you know how to?
    Do you even know what it's for?

I can confidently say "No" to all three questions up until today.
    For the Longest time I didn't quite know what the Collections Feature was really for or how to even use it.
    I knew that it was for collecting art for me by other artists, but
    what confused me was how it worked. The ARTIST is the one who
    has to do the work to submit the art into YOUR collection. I figured that out today.

I think... it's pretty weird that I can't add art into my own collection.
    Or... bothersome and Tedious for artists who don't know about the feature.
    I just went around Weasyl asking artists who have drawn for me if I can
    add their work to my collection. Kinda made me feel like I was sorta Bugging them.

However, I also realize that doing Collections this way would help prevent
    an artist from being spammed by random people requesting their art into their collection.
    The feature is for people to gather art for them only. Perhaps if
    more people learned about the feature, I won't feel so obnoxious about
    asking to add stuff to my collections. XD

I actually don't think I would quite change anything about the Process of Gathering Collections.

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    I do find it a little inconvenient that only the artist is allowed to offer something for a collection. I think it would be nice for users to at least be able to send a "Collection Request" of sorts- Something that could pop up in an artist's inbox, with an option to approve or decline it.

I do agree though, it would be good to at least educate more artists about collections, and encourage them to offer their commission work to the commissioner once they've uploaded it.

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Like Umbra said, I'd be for a collection request button. If it were easier to use and more stressed, it would keep the site from getting clogged full of re-uploads.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Weasyl
    flamecoil
    Yeah, prodding the artists for a collection request is probably the best way to go about it in the current system.

However, I do believe that the little art-notification for utilizing the collection system opens up a way to more-so streamline the process.

While the reminder for "Made for you?" is nice, what about flipping the question around? If artists were reminded during submission that the piece can be linked to the Weasyl users that they made it for, they wouldn't have to keep an eye out for collection requests in the future one way or another.

In essence, just add the "Send Offer Collection" line to the submission page. Then again, I might be missing something on the submissions page, so if I'm wrong, please let me know!

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by flamecoil View Post
    Yeah, prodding the artists for a collection request is probably the best way to go about it in the current system.

However, I do believe that the little art-notification for utilizing the collection system opens up a way to more-so streamline the process.

While the reminder for "Made for you?" is nice, what about flipping the question around? If artists were reminded during submission that the piece can be linked to the Weasyl users that they made it for, they wouldn't have to keep an eye out for collection requests in the future one way or another.

In essence, just add the "Send Offer Collection" line to the submission page. Then again, I might be missing something on the submissions page, so if I'm wrong, please let me know!
    Not a bad idea. I'll ask about how trivial code-wise adding Collection offers to the submit page would be.

Also, expanding Collections functionality is something that has been discussed before and it's definitely something we'd like to do in the future. Right now other features are taking priority though so there's no timeline on this as of yet.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.