Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weasyl
    Verona

The Art Theft Discussion on DeviantArt

What do you think about the new rule on DeviantArt?
    http://protectart.deviantart.com/jou...sion-544490149

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    what about it?
    I read the page and I didn't see any rules, just statements
    Last edited by Noxid; 07-20-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Weasyl
    Verona
    Well if im right, DA allows now somehow people to using other peoples art, without credits without permissions. I see it more as a rule, because its now allowed. I think its a big wake up call for thieves, they can now upload peoples art without permission or credit. A lot wrote it in comments too. Many people are angry and say they going to leave.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    hmmm, well
    it didn't seem like that from what I read. There's a lot of text though, maybe I missed it. Do you have a specific quote for that?

Weasyl
    Verona
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Even if DA didn't implement any rules, the way most people interpret it, they've basically come out and say "we don't care if you steal and we're proud to admit it". This is a problem because DA is the largest online art hosting social site, it is rampant with art theft (to be expected with a site that large), and it couldn't have come at a worse time. Now, I'm hoping it's all misinterpretation or DA just worded themselves poorly, but given the numerous complaints over the years of DA doing nothing to quell the issue, I doubt it.

Holy shit, are you serious? Some people have no shame. lol
    True that! And you also get a nice answer from a report if you report a thief who stole you work "Ignore the person, block her or him" Yeah that fix a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    hmmm, well
    it didn't seem like that from what I read. There's a lot of text though, maybe I missed it. Do you have a specific quote for that?
    I must digging in the journals then. Also, DA never really gave a damn about warning or banning thieves. I reported a lot people who stole my work or traced, and as I wrote to XoPachi, you get a reply back that you must ignore the person. A lot of my friends and me had to tease thieves from DA, by writing Journals and such and comments. I know its kinda on a low level, but DA kinda makes you doing it to protect your art and such.

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    I already sparked this discussion in the general general discussion thread, but it's nice to have a new thread about it so we don't clog it up. I deactivated my deviantART yesterday; I've had enough with deviantART, their bullshit policies, and their bullshit mods. I detest that site with every fiber of my being. Users that are familiar with me know that I frequent Enclyclopedia Dramatica; I'm making an edit to the article to include this horseshit if someone else didn't get to it first.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Quote Originally Posted by Verona View Post
    Well if im right, DA allows now somehow people to using other peoples art, without credits without permissions. I see it more as a rule, because its now allowed. I think its a big wake up call for thieves, they can now upload peoples art without permission or credit. A lot wrote it in comments too. Many people are angry and say they going to leave.
    Even if they upload someone art, if someone notices the art is from someone popular, the page WILL be bombed by a bunch of "you're an art thief. No one's going to support you" especially if the style fluctuate. IT's also really easy to search from image too anyway.

Everyone's worrying too much about stuffs that won't even hit them or even if it does, if they have been making some names for awhile, someone will be there to tell you about and deal with it. Stealing art isn't as simple as "Taking a picture and putting it on gallery" that anyone can do. Actual bullshit moves would be taking your fanart picture and put it in an art book across the sea to sell in a convention. You have no idea that is going on. Unless you're lucky enough to have 1 person from your DA watcher list to go to that very convention, find that very book and bought it, your art is already being stolen and the credit likely removed.

It happened before and one artist was lucky enough to be informed about a person using her Tokyo Ghoul fan art picture for sale in a fanart book and it went all over the TH fan site for that animoo. It gave her both exposure and the thief stomped by the online community.

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    Even if they upload someone art, if someone notices the art is from someone popular, the page WILL be bombed by a bunch of "you're an art thief. No one's going to support you" especially if the style fluctuate. IT's also really easy to search from image too anyway.

Everyone's worrying too much about stuffs that won't even hit them or even if it does, if they have been making some names for awhile, someone will be there to tell you about and deal with it. Stealing art isn't as simple as "Taking a picture and putting it on gallery" that anyone can do. Actual bullshit moves would be taking your fanart picture and put it in an art book across the sea to sell in a convention. You have no idea that is going on. Unless you're lucky enough to have 1 person from your DA watcher list to go to that very convention, find that very book and bought it, your art is already being stolen and the credit likely removed.

It happened before and one artist was lucky enough to be informed about a person using her Tokyo Ghoul fan art picture for sale in a fanart book and it went all over the TH fan site for that animoo. It gave her both exposure and the thief stomped by the online community.
    The issue isn't people knowing their art is being stolen; it's the fact that theft can be brought to the attention of the mods and they will refuse to do anything about it. The journal they made pretty much confirms that they don't care about the theft happening on the site and I have personal experience with this. I agree that art theft is a huge issue especially when taken to the real world like in your example, but it isn't the focus of everyone's attention at the moment.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Weasyl
    N/A
    You guys keep saying "art theft" when I'm pretty sure no actual theft is involved; which is the whole point of the post. It might seem a pedantic thing to split hairs on (i.e. sexual abuse v. rape) but that's all that seems to be going on in that post.

At least according to that post there is no apathy to art being copied/duplicated/sold by scumbags for profit; that stuff is still unethical and a glutton for punishment. It's just not whats legally considered "art theft".
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    You guys keep saying "art theft" when I'm pretty sure no actual theft is involved; which is the whole point of the post. It might seem a pedantic thing to split hairs on (i.e. sexual abuse v. rape) but that's all that seems to be going on in that post.

At least according to that post there is no apathy to art being copied/duplicated/sold by scumbags for profit; that stuff is still unethical and a glutton for punishment. It's just not whats legally considered "art theft".
    That's .. actually exactly as how I read it, to be honest. Plus, I know my experience doesn't seem to be the norm, but every time I've sent in a DMCA up until this point, the art was taken down.

*knocks on wood*

I mean, I've not yet had issues with reports coming back as pretty much "LOL, you're shit out of luck. Bite me.", except for third party reports and even then, those were handled properly once the artists themselves filed a DMCA.