Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Darker Theme - and Attracting the FA crowd.

I am really liking the overall look of Weasyl, but I think there is something still off for me, which is what turned me off from Sofurry initially, and I'm still having problems with enjoying other alternatives such as Inkbunny or this place, and that is the lack of a 'dark theme' to be enabled by the user. And I do like the dark, off grey background on here currently, not so sure about the random airbrushes of green and purple I see misted over top of it. On my monitor the 'grey' background also seems to lean towards the purple end of the spectrum (just ever so slightly). I'm kind of a purist, and I feel like too many shades, hues, or patterns around uploaded artwork messes with the eye.

There is something comforting about typing lighter, or colored text in a darker messaging box. I don't know anybody on FA personally, who actually uses their original light theme, so aside from FA, I've been on other sites for a very long time that avoid the use of stark white and black text boxes, and pages.

Options for dark theme:

• Darker greys (cool grey) as background behind browsing artwork in galleries, favorites, or folders, since cool colors recede from other colors, cool grey is perfect for remaining neutral, and highlighting artwork.
    • Darker message boxes, so as you are spending time typing, not feeling eye strain.
    • Main body of profiles can be neutral cool grey in color, of ever so slightly varying shades, much like there is currently with the profile pages, but darker and with lighter text.

To sum it up, I like dark themes, because I feel more inclined to stick around and spend more time around weasyl without feeling like my eyes are being bleached. The only option of having artwork positioned at the top, before the intro/journal, still seems weird to me. But that's something I'll have to talk about another time, or look around the discussion forums for.

I'll see about taking screen shots, and perhaps spend a bit of time doing some example mockups. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Zhag; 07-14-2015 at 11:36 PM.

Weasyl
    Skrimptious
    I think your problem could be solved with Stylish, provided you are keen on the ways of the css and such. That way you can edit the theme colors to exactly your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    provided you are keen on the ways of the css and such
    A rather big 'provided' that is~

I think your problem could be solved with Stylish, provided you are keen on the ways of the css and such. That way you can edit the theme colors to exactly your liking.
    This totally misses the point of the discussion, which is to bring the option for a darker theme to the average user. Stylish does look interesting though, and through it also saw an app called 'dark tube,' stuff I'm interested in, but having the change in light to dark styling to Weasyl, providing an option readily available, is something FA does better.
    Last edited by Zhag; 07-15-2015 at 01:07 AM.

Weasyl
    Skrimptious
    Last edited by skrimp; 07-15-2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added stylish theme

I think scripts are a fine fix, but I can see where they fall short on mobile devices or browsers that aren't yours to customize.

Weasyl
    Skrimptious

It's not that hard.
    Okay, there's a few problems with that thinking. First, not everyone is skilled at computer coding, most people see it as a big mess of random symbols and aren't going to be able to dive into the code. Second, CSS is not the most complex thing out there, but even for computer savvy persons loading a basic website option into 'just write some stuff in this language you may or may not know' is a bit silly. Certainly fine to have it as an option but it's not fine to make it the only option.

Imagine if you went to a website and saw the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Prima
    I would like to be able to log out from any page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secunda
    I think your problem could be solved with JScript4FireFox, provided you are keen on the ways of the Javascript and such. That way you can edit the logout code to your liking.
    (N.b. I'm not commenting on security here. I'm mainly trying to show how that's not really a good solution overall b/c it pushes a single browser and requires knowledge from website users.)

I am actually almost the opposite and would prefer a lighter theme. I feel like the bold darkness overshadows the tiny pixels I tend to upload. ^^;

Perhaps they could create multiple site themes for users to choose from?

Weasyl
    Skrimptious
    I like your thinking.