Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    RedSavage

What the hell is Gamergate even

Inb4 shitstorm. Let's try to remain objective and civil. No character accusations. If you disagree with someone, it's fine. Don't try to prove your point. State your point and let it stand.

Essentially, I've got not even the slightest damn clue what it's about. All I know is that everyone fights over it and apparently it's the hugest fucking deal since ever.

What is it?
    What is its purported goal?
    What has it actually accomplished?

Remember that there is another human being behind that wall of text before you post. Remember everyone has their own opinions because of personal experience. Keep in mind that your experiences are not the whole or sum of the universe.
    Last edited by RedSavage; 07-12-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Chick made an indie game called depression quest.
    Was greenlit by Steam
    Accusations about her sleeping with some dude to get it rolling.
    Claim it's about "video game journalism"
    Misogynistic posts and gamer girl bashing EVERYWHERE
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    Was greenlit by Steam
    Okay. So that's what got the ball rolling.
    Is it possible the cause had taken a new light? Underneath all the 4chan bashing and baseless accusations.

The idea of gaming journalistic ethics is a real one. Like how CODMW gets constant 10/10 despite being an endless rehash, and AAA games getting high scores despite being often broken and buggy.

All I've ever seen of it ever is "TEH SJWz R KILLIN R GAEMS" with a facade of "ethics in game journalism." I don't think I've ever actually seen them go after game journalism that isn't tied in some way to being anti-SJW.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    It seems that while there are legitamite concerns in the GG community, it's often used as a platform for hateful individuals to lash out.

But this is really no different than radical feminism, some race riots, and the likes, or so it seems to me.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    All I've ever seen of it ever is "TEH SJWz R KILLIN R GAEMS" with a facade of "ethics in game journalism." I don't think I've ever actually seen them go after game journalism that isn't tied in some way to being anti-SJW.
    Pretty much this. Like any time a woman opens her mouth and dares have an opinion on it, fucking shitstorm while extremely obvious and nonbaseless corporate biases rule the industry.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Gamergate are pretty much the "Stfu please tumfag/SJW tards" type because the feminists never stop coming with idiotic fact that feels like "This chick only played a game for 10 minutes, died and proceeded to typed she was raped and demanded supports"

Something like that.

It's not that they hate women in gaming. They have a few they idolize as "Based mother" like the one feminist who spoke how this isn't an issue and stuffs. But then you get the "WTF THERE IS NO FEMALE CHAR BITCH BITCH BITCH" shitstorm after that and more people start going like "I'm not hired cause I'm a girl although I make great games" - start to talk about her games- and then screamed "Misogenie" because the other pointed they were all shit and only mass-produced.

After that, it went all the way to cyberbullying and SJW were like "let's bring back cyberbullying because fuck gamergate" kind of stuffs. Gawker (IIRC) was one site that went and did that and Gamergate were like "Ty journalism for showing how much of a bitch you are" and lost quite a huge amount of sum from all the advertisement cut because the big company didn't want to deal with a "bullying" site like Gawker.

Kotaku was dumb as fuck as well and further made their articles shit to do stuffs like "Streamer spent a whole match drawing dicks on splatoon and won and this is unacceptable"

Both side are dumb as fuck though but the feminazi SJW side produce 10x more dumb shits.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Lol Red
    You come to a site filled with SJW and ask this same question.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Their latest venture should probably give you an idea: http://deepfreeze.it/

Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    Was greenlit by Steam
    That's really facetious. At best she was just a franz ferdinand. The climate has been ripe for a meltdown ever since a reviewer got fired for criticizing Kayne and Lynch. The collusion of some chick and her affairous lovers was just the catalyst. When it happened the major gaming sites collaborated to "contain" the atomic shitstorm that ensued and decided to run the same story on half a dozen sites (Everyone that was part of the google groups GameJournoPro). This pretty much exasperated the problem and long story short, they've now been forced to start issuing disclosures on their articles. (And Jonathan McIntosh is $300k richer for it.)

I personally never cared for review of games because rarely do I find someone that shares my view on them, so journalists being corrupt (as they so often are in almost every medium) never bothered me. You'd have to be a real special person if you thought the majority of they had any integrity to begin with though.
    Last edited by DrunkCat; 07-13-2015 at 01:59 AM.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Vae
    It's when you have a party in the back of your car while you wait outside stores for midnight releases.
    If only.

Something something Anita Sarkeesian something something feminism something something SJWs.
    I mostly just see the term "gamergater" tossed around like a gaming-centric version of MRA or neckbeard.
    Resident Koopa Trash