Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Butterflygoddess
    2014's greatest source of lolz.

Weasyl
    oly
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSavage View Post
    Okay. So that's what got the ball rolling.
    Is it possible the cause had taken a new light? Underneath all the 4chan bashing and baseless accusations.

The idea of gaming journalistic ethics is a real one. Like how CODMW gets constant 10/10 despite being an endless rehash, and AAA games getting high scores despite being often broken and buggy.
    No there isn't any new light.

And if you want to fix ethics in media, how about focusing on journalism or news media as a whole and the instead of someone losing 20 bucks or w/e in trade in value on a game that was dicks? Because there's some way more shitty ethics in media than bad games getting good reviews.

The whole thing is a damn farce.

The anti-SJW stuff was a pressure cooker for years before this happened. I've seen people genuinely concerned with the lack of objectivity coming out of game reviewers and how that ties into indie development. However most of it is just people pissed as fuck at the state of the industry in general and the constant political correctness in specific.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    And if you want to fix ethics in media, how about focusing on journalism or news media as a whole and the instead of someone losing 20 bucks or w/e in trade in value on a game that was dicks?
    lol wat
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    N/A
    I remember being acquainted with a few developers for a mobile game company in south Florida, they've spun many stories of how easy it is to pay for good reviews. The two guys producing it were some ex-EA employees and they basically ordered 50 of the then-new iphone6 preloaded with the game to send out as "review" copies. Review is in quotes because all that stuff was obviously kept by the reviewers themselves.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    Both side are dumb as fuck though but the feminazi SJW side produce 10x more dumb shits.
    Incredibly true! MRAs and SJWs are both fucking lunatics but the feminazis win in the dumb shit department, though they are right about some things.

I've played two MMOs and both of them had female characters in impractical armor while the male characters were fine, even WoW does it and has a bullshit excuse for why. Feminazis are batshit crazy, but sometimes they have a good point.
    Last edited by GlaringFeline; 07-13-2015 at 02:49 PM.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by GlaringFeline View Post
    Incredibly true! MRAs and SJWs are both fucking lunatics but the feminazis win in the dumb shit department, though they are right about some things.

I've played two MMOs and both of them had female characters in impractical armor while the male characters were fine, even WoW does it and has a bullshit excuse for why. Feminazis are batshit crazy, but sometimes they have a good point.
    I've been arguing for sexy incubi for warlocks forEVER.

For...equality...m'yes
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    ... I've seen people genuinely concerned with the lack of objectivity coming out of game reviewers and how that ties into indie development. ...
    I've never figured out what people mean by "objectivity" in reference to game reviews. Beyond basic fact checking, which is a universal requirement, game reviews are always going to be akin to movie and book reviews, where the reviewer's preferences and perspective are inseparable from their judgement. There's nothing like an "enjoyment benchmark" that publications can run on their games in analogy to CPUs, GPUs, and power supplies.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #19
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    I've never figured out what people mean by "objectivity" in reference to game reviews. Beyond basic fact checking, which is a universal requirement, game reviews are always going to be akin to movie and book reviews, where the reviewer's preferences and perspective are inseparable from their judgement. There's nothing like an "enjoyment benchmark" that publications can run on their games in analogy to CPUs, GPUs, and power supplies.
    I think it's just, as with any creative medium, there are certain standards that are easy to spot if they're missing. Smooth performance, intuitive controls, intelligible writing/plot, and so on. I know whenever I would try to watch or read reviews in places like IGN or wherever else, they tend to lack specifics or any manner of support for the statements/criticisms therein. Not 'objective' in the strict sense of the word, but at least approaching it as much as you can in an opinion piece. That stuff that a review can use to not come across as hollow.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    This is true. But, I think I can speak for many when I say I want people who actually understand and play the game extensively before giving me an opinion. And I want them seasoned in the genre of the game they're reviewing to have a personal frame of reference when explaining what works in the game and what doesn't. Not some scrub who only played the game for an hour with no prior knowledge to the specific style of gameplay and was possibly influenced by a publisher's deep wallet. Too often I see people who dart down a game because they're shit tier at it.

I don't use the term objectivity. But there are opinions and informed opinions which is the next best thing.
    Let me focus on the bolded part here. If you yourself are an expert in a particular genre, then a review from the perspective of an expert is probably what you're looking for. But such expertise usually carries certain preferences and expectations. I'm not that big of a fan of RTS games. A review of an RTS from the perspective of a competitive RTS player will probably tell me relatively little about what I'll think of the game, because we will have different priorities and values.

Really, I think a good review is one that forthrightly acknowledges that it is an opinion. The reviewer states what they think, and, more importantly, why they think that way. The reader can then judge whether they agree or disagree with how the reviewer values different aspects of a game and weight the reviewer's judgement accordingly.