Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    So to recap what I've been illuminating so far:

An indie dev was caught pulling strings for good reviews.

People on the internet got mad.

Trolls and people with no filter or sense start trickling in.

Fingers are being pointed at the dev, and a whole lot of "video game journalists" that work for popular sites that were associated with the dev. Fingers are also being pointed at other associates of the dev influential in video games.

These sites respond with a blackout and all run the same story within minutes of each other, attempting to paint gamers as bad people and claiming that it's time for gamers to die off or some other nonsense. Outrage ensues and the chaos begins.

It's worth noting, not all of the journalists can be associated with the tangled mess here. Though Escapist published a questionable article attacking gamers as well, and started shutting down any conversation criticizing it, this was swiftly revoked by their Head Honcho a few days later after quite a backlash. The Escapist then shaped up and came out with more strict, public guidelines on what was considered an acceptable, newsworthy article and apologized to a whole lot of insulted people. People working for the Escapist that were connected to the dev soon left The Escapist.

Other sites began also attempting to squelch criticism in a rather shady manner. Users on Reddit were being "Shadowbanned", a practice where a poster's posts are not made visible but the poster in question is none-the-wiser. It was eventually discovered the staff member behind it all was yet another of this dev's contacts. The people who actually wanted to get something positive extracted out of all this were busy sending letters and petitions to the parent companies of these various sites and other higher ups. It did have some effect in some places such as The Escapist, like I mentioned. Efforts to back other outlets that support women in gaming were being pushed, such as The Fine Young Capitalists.

So naturally, the issue began to balloon wildly out of control. At this point, yon assholes involved had harassed the dev and friends enough to attract the Mighty Morphin' SJW Squad and thus all hope was lost. Popular internet personalities related to gaming cracked jokes or offered thoughts and were universally flamed and abused, usually by the angry mob of "Anti-GG" people starting to brew. Some people in this thread have mentioned a certain woman named similar to a species of mushroom, she had nothing to do with it and never really has. Just the usual nonsense painting bullseyes all over oneself. JonTron was also mentioned but as I recall he has tried his best to stay out of it after making a joke and receiving extensive abuse in return.

Anyway, time goes on and this whole thing spreads. There starts to be Twitter wars and whatnot, stuff like #NotYourShield for women and minorities in gaming to speak out against SJW types using them as ammo. Stuff like that. By this time the Trolls and morons have grown in such vast numbers there's not much else to tell. Certainly, the Gamergate thing is somehow still going and doubtless has other "history" at this point. But once it reached the above mentioned point I ceased paying attention to it. It had already become clear that it was taken over by trolls/bored morons and the SJWs they were/are trolling endlessly (Why talk about anything reasonable when you could jump and down and point and trolls and say "See! See! THEY'RE ALL EVIL!").

I suppose you could say that one thing at least became clear out of all of it: Indie devs are not what they used to be. No longer does it mean a team of cool people that make interesting cult classics on their own, like Croteam. These days it means a singular person or inside group of assholes with a rockstar mentality (Seriously, emphasis on this. Look at Phil Fish.), and hordes of loyal followers who will fight to the death to make sure their feelings don't get hurt.

And the internet gets a new bogeyman since "Anonymous" got old a long time ago.

The turnaround with indie development happened when west coast blowhards and trust fund babies decided that coding was "trendy" and started stealing the thunder of people genuinely passionate about the craft. Phil Fish, again. I've met these assholes personally, my roommate was one of them. I've also met real coders, and I can tell you they most definitely are nothing like the stereotypes you see of modern game devs and programmers. Oddly enough, west coast blowhards and trust fund babies are also the same people that like to circle jerk their PC attitudes and go full McIntosh on people.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #33

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    The turnaround with indie development happened when west coast blowhards and trust fund babies decided that coding was "trendy" and started stealing the thunder of people genuinely passionate about the craft. Phil Fish, again. I've met these assholes personally, my roommate was one of them. I've also met real coders, and I can tell you they most definitely are nothing like the stereotypes you see of modern game devs and programmers. Oddly enough, west coast blowhards and trust fund babies are also the same people that like to circle jerk their PC attitudes and go full McIntosh on people.
    Phil Fish has his flaws, but FEZ was not the product of a man who doesn't actually care about games.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    oly
    To start as in to start addressing issues in the world of gaming. If I was gonna start trying to change shit it'd be the ethics of preordering. But again,I guess if you got a passion, you gotta follow it. I'd rather see someone try to do good in the name if gamergate than someone just do nothing, yknow?

I wasn't talking about Baldwin tho i knew that piece of shit had been involved. I meant some other dudes who were I think harassing quinn. I don't remember the details of it very well cuz I mainly had a chuckle over the whole thing at the time. Just like most gamergate shit I've seen I've either laughed at or forgotten pretty quick. Cuz I just don't take it seriously.

And yuup everyone not being willing or able to multiquote reply and address everypoint means they didn't read it. For sure :U

Ultimately I think putting too much stock into any idea or movement is a mistake. I don't consider myself a feminist tho I'd generally say I'm supportive, I don't subscribe to any political ideal. I'm also not a debater, in not trying to be smart or make points. I'm enjoying this talk because regardless of whether I agree with anyone it's an opportunity to reflect and expose myself to things. That's valuable to me.

That WOW story is kinda hilarious btw. I hadn't heard that one before, and I'm not surprised that it was marginally successful. x3

I still don't really think it's (#gg that is) important tho. That perception would take a while to change for me. I also don't think it's right to use as a stereotype, any more than its right to use feminist as a stereotype, or any other kind of stereotype either.

Now I have a long car ride with lots of grass to look at, yay.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Phil Fish has his flaws, but FEZ was not the product of a man who doesn't actually care about games.
    Fez was the product of a man who said, and I quote, "gamers are the worst fucking people", told people to pirate his game and "shut the fuck up about it" if it was too expensive, and then went on to tell someone to kill themselves as part of an argument.

He was then hacked and said NO MORE GAEM

http://i1.wp.com/pixelenemy.com/wp-c...9.03.02-PM.png
    http://i.imgur.com/4KF3mBW.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/DNVRtIW.jpg
    http://images.lazygamer.net/2013/07/Fish-3.jpg

^These last two were posted within minutes of each other, for extra lol factor^

So yeah I would say it was the product of a man who doesn't GAF about games.
    Good riddance.

Rilvor, please watch this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipcWm4B3EU4

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    No, he's just genuinely an asshole. Hideki Kamiya is the same way. I'm not a part of this debate on their skill or passion, I'm saying they are irrevocably assholeish people.

I'll watch the video and offer thoughts when I have more time later, Gamedog. I have to run right now.

Uh... I think mentioning FEZ isn't very helpful, seeing how Phil Fish stole the idea from a former partner, the soundtrack from another and I've even read claims that he stole the code itself. Not sure about the latter, but the formers are enough to give a picture about it.

--

@Thread:

GamerGate is a hashtag. Thus, stupid by definition!

But in all seriousness, it's just another group of people legitimately right about a principle going through all sorts of wrong actions to fight for it.
    Just like feminists. Just like black, white and green people.
    Just like LGBTABCDFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ. And christians and muslims and atheists. And possumkins.

Groups will always have their fair share of stupid people warping things.
    And as people, we tend to label the "opposing side" by its extremes and consider certain behaviors or opinions as the focal point, instead of realizing we all want the same mutual well-being under all these different flags.

I for one am more aligned with the GG side in all of this because I like and have always liked games as they are, I see no big deal in the alleged oppressive/excluding games or whatever people like to paint the industry.
    And I think pressuring game makers to change instead of doing your own games in a way you'd like them to be is dumb. Do a good work and enjoy people playing it because it's cool, not because of any ideological or political obligation.

I've recently seen a gaming group go bankrupt because they attempted to make an inclusive, political game and sold too few copies to pay for the expenses. They proceeded to blame gamers for not taking interest in their game, being bigoted and all that.
    If they planned a good game and flavored it with some ideological content, instead of planning ideological content and flavoring it with some game mechanics, I bet things wouldn't have come down to this scenario.

But then again, GG is also full of political garbage as well. When it was all about enraged mobs tweeting, it wasn't that bad, just your average teenage angst (apologies in advance for the homonymous user!).
    Now that more politically articulate and ill-intentioned people have put their hands on the matter, though, we have all this indoctrination, polarization and labeling. Then, when people call them out for it, a bunch of dumb indoctrinated GGers will try to explain you why their movement isn't dumb. And boy, they do a really, REALLY poor job at it. Stirring up the caca and feeding this perpetual motion machine.

So yeah, getting back to the primordial question, "What the hell is Gamergate?", my answer would be:

Another evidence of how pre-packaged ideologies are stupid.
    Form your own opinions. Avoid labeling people. Specially yourself.

Yes, that's the one. Searched for it here, the game is called Sunset, by Tale of Tales.
    This journal you posted sums it up pretty well the matter of counterproductive censorship pressuring.
    Reminds me a bit of that Batgirl cover that everyone made a fuss about.

On Fez, I don't have much source-side, I'm afraid. This is a wasp nest I prefer to stay away from.
    But here is some stuff on the making of Fez:

Shawn McGrath (former dev of Fez) developed the gameplay mechanics idea (the 3D rotation).
    They broke up partnership and Fish found another coder to continue the development without McGrath's approval. More here.

Jason DeGroot (former musician of Fez) made the original soundtrack for the game.
    Since Phil Fish appears to smell like one, they also had a fight and DeGroot quit.
    He was even portrayed as the "bad guy" in that Indie Game propaganda movie, which is produced by a guy who was also involved in producing Fez. More here.

The code stealing claims are mentioned in the first link as well; Polytron claims to have coded it from scratch, but building from McGrath's code is a possibility.

I don't strongly believe in or defend these claims, I just think the whole thing doesn't smell good, that's why I think it's not a very good example/role model to bring up.
    Phil is also involved in a lot of internet wars (including GG and feminism), throwing tantrums at Twitter and whatnot.

Santayana said it best, "Fanaticism consists of redoubling your efforts when you have forgotten your aim."

Maybe it is silly that all this heat is being generated over games, but these people will grow up, and some will want to direct their energies to more real world problems. They're learning how to use the new media to whip people into a froth, and how to direct them. Politics is going to get very interesting in the next decade or so.