Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reading!

Weasyl
    SailorX2
    Quote Originally Posted by OhSynapse View Post
    Just make sure it isn't Ragnarok Online music or else you'll glance at the clock and OH CRUD it's 4 am.
    I even have two playlists, one called "World Map" for regular homework and "BOSS BATTLE!!!!!!" for when it's 4am and I've got to finish a research paper or something. The duel theme choral rock stuff from the anime Revolutionary Girl Utena is perfect for that, actually...
    "And that ability to suffer fools, to tolerate annoyance, that's literally the one single thing that allows you to function in a world populated by other people who aren't you. Otherwise, you turn emo. Science has proven it."
    -Cracked.com

Weasyl
    OhSynapse
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorX2 View Post
    I even have two playlists, one called "World Map" for regular homework and "BOSS BATTLE!!!!!!" for when it's 4am and I've got to finish a research paper or something. The duel theme choral rock stuff from the anime Revolutionary Girl Utena is perfect for that, actually...
    http://www.rpgamers.net/radio/

You might be interested in bookmarking this site, then-- they livestream video game music and you can make requests. It really helps when you want to hunker down and finish a piece.

I changed the title of this thread to make it more relevant to the topic that spawned.

Nope seems I just changed the topic of my post.

Weasyl
    SailorX2
    Quote Originally Posted by Claine View Post
    I changed the title of this thread to make it more relevant to the topic that spawned.

Nope seems I just changed the topic of my post.
    Oops, sorry dear.
    I could try to shift it back by mentioning I'm currently reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath...
    "And that ability to suffer fools, to tolerate annoyance, that's literally the one single thing that allows you to function in a world populated by other people who aren't you. Otherwise, you turn emo. Science has proven it."
    -Cracked.com

Weasyl
    sayum
    *casually shifts back to the topic of audiobooks*
    As much as I love reading (and hugging and smelling) books, I find that there are just some situations its not appropriate to have your nose between pages. Like on the freeway.

All of the Harry Potter books have excellent audio versions. As for other book suggestions, mine are: The Redwall Series (First Book: Redwall) and The Bartimaeus Trilogy (First Book: The Amulet of Samarkand).

Redwall is cute and exciting. Lots of mice and hares and otters. Ah, the books from my childhood.

Bartimaeus is about magic and has great characters. I was hooked in the first few minutes of the audiobooks.

Weasyl
    maugryph
    I love books but the majority that I have are non fiction: drawing books, history, animals, plants, biographies. that sort of thing. As for audiobooks I had an 1 hour commute, I would listen to the Harry Potter books while driving to and from work.

Weasyl
    Pignog
    Does anyone here use GoodReads? I find it's great for organizing my reading, books I've read, what I plan on reading. If you do feel free to add me:

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1089180-chris-jones

As far as great books, I've got a few to recommend from the last year:

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Awesome manga written by Hayao Miyazaki over about ten years. If you love any of the Ghibli films like Princess Mononoke, you should definitely check out this series. The series takes place in the far future after an apocalyptic war known as "The Seven Days of Fire" wiped out most of humanity. A forest full of giant insects and poisonous air is slowly creeping across the planet while the remaining human nations fight over a few scraps of land and scarce resources. The series follows a young princess caught in the middle of it all, trying to put an end to the war. It's one of my favorite pieces of fiction.

The Guns of August

This is a classic history text written in the 1960s on the outbreak of the First World War. It does a great job of examining the immediate causes of the war and the big personalities involved. Even if you don't like big history texts, Barbara Tuchman's writing is so engaging that it reads like a novel. The book covers the German invasion of Belgium and France, as well as the Battle of Tannenberg in the east. You'll get the perspectives of the great power's statesmen and generals. It's a textbook case in why "plans never survive first contact with the enemy."

Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis

A great book on social class in the United States, but the issues are relevant to many developed countries. Its thesis is that social and economic inequality are on the rise in America, and makes comparisons between the 1950s and the present. It also goes beyond this, explaining exactly why this is happening, and why opportunities for individuals in the poorest class are disappearing. Putnam draws on a variety of statistics and over 100 interviews conducted with individuals across classes.