Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: How do you know if

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67

How do you know if

How do you know if you should keep going on a story if no one comments?

Weasyl
    Levi
    Because you enjoy writing it. Because you want to have the story written.
    Personal Blog | WagzTail Podcast
    Much thanks to Kalika for the avatar

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Pretty much that. Sometimes I write just to delve into another world for a while, regardless if I think anyone else will want to read it. Organized daydreaming, or something like that.

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    YES, I do write for my own enjoyment, and read many others writings as well. But what I mean is how do I know if it is any good, or if I am getting better or worse. I suppose I could ask for critique but the problem there is most of you guys are good and know what your doing. I say that is a problem because I want to appeal to average Joe who see's the cover and picks it up saying "WTF". I honestly believe that your opinions are very helpful as I am not trained in writing and have only the obligatory schooling in English and I love it when someone corrects some blatent error I have made, like the spelling error I just did. For now I have a much larger problem with one of the books. The second one in the Shielah of Earth series, I start out with three different groups in three different places and as the story goes on they converge and then separate and come together in the end. But right now it just reads all over the place. I was trying to label it whenever I jump to something happening at the same time in a different group but to me that looks sort of stupid.
    any idea's.

Have you read the new one I put on here?
    https://www.weasyl.com/submission/10...e-edit-1-try-2
    Last edited by Gnarl; 07-10-2015 at 04:10 PM.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I'm not 'trained' in writing, either (in that I only ever took one writing class in university to get gen-ed art credits out of the way). I guess my method so far has been to read a lot about the writing process, try to nail down the technical things, and then through a long series of screw-ups try to find a mature voice I can work with. Obviously I'm still working on it, as is every other writer out there (I doubt it can ever be 'finished'). I think that base -- the grammar, the vocabulary, the sentence flow, the syntax, etc. -- is all extremely important up front, because then once you've got that more or less down you can start to tinker with the more creative stuff, the stuff that makes your work sound like your work and not everyone else's. And I think that's the part that people are talking about when they say stuff like 'you can't teach creative writing', and hence why there's such a focus on the personal.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I feel like in the end it's mostly about what YOU want from your work, and the only thing other peoples' feedback can do for you in that regard is to let you know if other people are seeing in your work what you want to be there (i.e. how effective you are at communicating the things you want to communicate). And even that is also audience-specific -- some people like to skim works, some like deeper readings, some focus excruciatingly on deriving complicated theories based on the tiniest details, some like to make connections with the rest of society, and so on and so forth -- to the point that you end being forced to just write for yourself in the end anyway rather than try to please everyone. So maybe it's really only when your work seems to be failing to connect with ANYONE that you should really worry about all this? I don't know.

IMO writing is a lot easier when you write for yourself than when you receive feedback all the time. When you get readers, you also get things like expectations where you feel like you have to commit to certain genres or a level of quality that you might not be able to consistently deliver. This too is part of the learning process, how to tune out the external influences and keep your stories in a vacuum where people shouting "OH I HOPE THIS HAPPENS" doesn't have an impact. That's not to say don't take constructive criticisms to heart, far from it, but remember it's your work and not a wiki page.

As for getting those eyeballs and comments in the first place, write smut. Once you have a following, write smut and non-smut in equal measure.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    Thank you for the advise! as far as the write smut idea, sorry but i will pass on that one. I think i may have found what i was looking for on the Furry writers guild forum. It so far seems rather awesome, i recommend it everyone who has questions and concerns they wish to ask more writers and published writers. I wish that this forum was a lot more active. I am not giving up here but will keep trying!

Weasyl
    Haroo Husky
    In order to enjoy your literature, you gotta have fun with it yourself. The characters, the plot, the environment - listen to your own thoughts, and let it be your inspiration. I know a lot of authors who write really good literature (including myself xD), but no one's picked up on it yet. Don't give up, and continue to write: your skills will increase, you'll write faster, you'll become more creative... and things can only get better from there.
    “Do you have any idea how that made me feel inside? Furious! Outraged! Sick with anger!”
    —Lord Ghirahim

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    I wrote my first story when i was 14 and that was 43 years ago, so i agree whole heartedly.

I know when to continue a story because I either like it or I don't. It's not about how many read it or enjoy it. It's more about my own tastes. Like drawing. Unless I'm doing a commission, I'm going to draw what I enjoy drawing, whether or not others look at it. I just like the fact that I'm making something I love. And if someone does like it and reads it, then I'm even happier!

To know whether you're getting better well, maybe take a look at your past writings and see how you've improved. Or better yet, ask a friend to take a read! Maybe have someone be your personal editor to tell you what needs changing and what's okay.