Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Bornes
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayPossum View Post

Or keep the process as is, but, like Irbis suggested, make it anonymous for regular users so they can't retaliate the tagger. Users are notified if their tags are removed/edited, right?
    I missed this and I think this might be the best course of action. As you are correct, you get notified of who modifies what tags.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayPossum View Post
    In this case I find community tag pointless.

Why wouldn't you want people tagging your picture with its contents? It's helping more people find you.
    (Just to make it clear, "you" is being used in a general sense, not YOU you.)
    On my end, I'm in the minority where some of my work I just don't want readily found through tags (can't help myself, I get uneasy thinking about the exposure, and post mostly for archival reasons to begin with I guess??). But I understand the necessity and value of tagging as much as possible, so I'm always torn on this issue. It's to a point there's a lot I just haven't uploaded knowing the tags it'd require (or potentially receive).

My dream rn re: this tagging system is really to have a way to keep my stuff unsearchable (ultra bonus if I could chose by tag, whoa!!), without the expense of potential blacklists not working because I was too chicken to include something.

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    Quote Originally Posted by Irbisgreif View Post
    Seriously, if you have two tags, one 'x' and one 'y', and the art contains 'x_y' (meaning it's clear that the artist didn't underscore a tag), and a fan of your work adds 'x_y' to the tags, it's damn insane to both reverse that and immediately ignore the person who added it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    OP, I don't understand. Can you please give an example using X, Y, and X_Y?
    I think I get what OP means.
    If a user has, say, a drawing of a Pit Bull, but tags it as "Pit" and "Bull", the piece might benefit from being tagged "Pit_Bull".
    If another user adds the "Pit_Bull" tag, but the artist removes it, it seems a bit counterproductive.
    (I hope I'm getting this correctly.)

I tend to see this when the artist is trying to tag something with a phrase or title. for example, a tag like "The_Princess_Bride" gets chopped up into "Bride," "Princess," and "The" if underscores are not added, making the piece only show up in searches for, well, princesses and brides. (And "the". Not sure how many users search for that though. :b)

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    OH!!! I understand now. I agree, that would be so counter-productive to put those tags as seperate words.

Thanks!

Weasyl
    Noxid
    Quote Originally Posted by Bornes View Post
    I missed this and I think this might be the best course of action. As you are correct, you get notified of who modifies what tags.
    It's a nice idea but I can see some potential issues with that in that it enables anonymous harassment, because if you can't see who's tagged 40 things of yours with [slur of your choosing] then how do you properly report it?
    Not that I'm saying it's a problem here but it could happen.

Reading ganache's post, it might be a reasonable compromise to have a setting that allows certain folders to be omitted from search results; doing it on a tag-by-tag basis might be an undue amount of work both in implementation and user management. There's already an option to have them not appear on the front page.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #26

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by ganache View Post
    On my end, I'm in the minority where some of my work I just don't want readily found through tags (can't help myself, I get uneasy thinking about the exposure, and post mostly for archival reasons to begin with I guess??). But I understand the necessity and value of tagging as much as possible, so I'm always torn on this issue. It's to a point there's a lot I just haven't uploaded knowing the tags it'd require (or potentially receive).

My dream rn re: this tagging system is really to have a way to keep my stuff unsearchable (ultra bonus if I could chose by tag, whoa!!), without the expense of potential blacklists not working because I was too chicken to include something.
    Hi, ganache. Might the "Friends Only" feature serve your needs?

Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    It's a nice idea but I can see some potential issues with that in that it enables anonymous harassment, because if you can't see who's tagged 40 things of yours with [slur of your choosing] then how do you properly report it?
    Not that I'm saying it's a problem here but it could happen.
    Tag edit history is visible to moderators, and would stay that way. Reporting would work essentially the same – file a ticket on your own submission, point out the abusive tags in the comment field, and we could look it up and take care of it.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra_Exe View Post
    I think I get what OP means.
    If a user has, say, a drawing of a Pit Bull, but tags it as "Pit" and "Bull", the piece might benefit from being tagged "Pit_Bull".
    If another user adds the "Pit_Bull" tag, but the artist removes it, it seems a bit counterproductive.
    This was pretty much the exact situation.

uploaders removing relevant tags without good reason may be subject to moderation.
    You know, I didn't think I could've reported what happened, but I figure that's a good idea actually. I'd not even thought about blacklists.
    Last edited by Irbisgreif; 07-09-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added second quote and comment

Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Hi, ganache. Might the "Friends Only" feature serve your needs?.
    I'm not sure. It wouldn't allow me to link these submissions to anyone who isn't added, I'm assuming? Like when I'm offsite and want to link a reference that's here. It's not so much that I never want anyone [I don't know] to see things I submit as it is it getting grouped with particular content is a turnoff for me, even if I've produced it myself and will probably see it buried by time anyway........

Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    Reading ganache's post, it might be a reasonable compromise to have a setting that allows certain folders to be omitted from search results; doing it on a tag-by-tag basis might be an undue amount of work both in implementation and user management. There's already an option to have them not appear on the front page.
    Can I ask what this front page option is? It's escaping me - though I'm still thinking of Browsing in general so it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I forget about the time involved in tagging to begin with, though - so this a good point and I like your idea better, actually! It sounds way simpler to implement and use.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Irbisgreif View Post
    You know, I didn't think I could've reported what happened, but I figure that's a good idea actually. I'd not even thought about blacklists.
    I've actually reported something like this once and it was handled. The artist in question was uploading gibberish tags. I wanted to know what was in the image, but couldn't because they put no info anywhere. So I was sitting here trying to Google and decode what the hell "gsdfsh" or whatever means. :/

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #30
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Tag edit history is visible to moderators, and would stay that way. Reporting would work essentially the same – file a ticket on your own submission, point out the abusive tags in the comment field, and we could look it up and take care of it.
    Well, I guess that could work, although it does seem a bit counter-intuitive to report your own submission :p
    Still I doubt it would happen often if ever so as long as there's /some/ avenue for action against it.