Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Artists' reactions to tagging have become ridiculous

Seriously, if you have two tags, one 'x' and one 'y', and the art contains 'x_y' (meaning it's clear that the artist didn't underscore a tag), and a fan of your work adds 'x_y' to the tags, it's damn insane to both reverse that and immediately ignore the person who added it.

Artists have become real dramalamas about having absolute control of their tags, which is pretty crappy since Weasyl could've had a great tagging system like e621. Instead, each artist's personal opinions about what is 'proper' to tag makes searching for anything on Weasyl a real pain.

This isn't so much a suggestion for the site (ain't much that the admins can do about this except to make tagging anonymous unless abuse is reported, which I'm sure would cause a riot among the artists who love to be insane about their tagging) but it is a suggestion to artists on Weasyl to be more reasonable about how you react to someone tagging your work. There's a difference between abusively modifying your tags and tagging what is in the image. (and that you clearly intended to be part of the image)

TL;DR: Don't be such pricks about your tags.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Can't there just be "artist tags" and "community tags"? So each piece has two sets of tags, one by the artist and another by the community.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    Can't there just be "artist tags" and "community tags"? So each piece has two sets of tags, one by the artist and another by the community.
    I don't know, something like that would be nice but apparently some artists just can't handle that.

I'm just annoyed that my efforts to make art I liked easier to find have led me to be unable to fav or follow artists I liked. (emphasis on the past tense there.)

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    Taw

Weasyl
    N/A
    Man you guys are dabes.

The reason I suggested the division is so that the artist doesn't actually have full control over the tags (specifically the community/white ones). The biggest issue though would be the added labor in policing the community tags.
    Last edited by DrunkCat; 07-08-2015 at 02:43 PM.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

That's good, but it doesn't really change that some artists go crazy if you change the tags on their work in any way. Like, you can add an obvious tag and they'll still throw a fit.

Weasyl
    Uluri
    I think the issue is more of Tagging Awareness rather than the ability to tag.
    People don't often know too much about tags. It's also a little less known here
    that the search system only searches via tags, so that can also be a reason.

You can't predict much how people will react to tags being added.
    People who don't want tagging help exist. It's their choice to refuse help as much as it is is their choice to accept help.

Maybe requiring mod (or anonymous peers') approval for deleting tags?
    At least the abuse then will happen only on the tagger's side, which is punishable anyway.
    And I don't see such a big loss in having my work tagged triple_butt for 24 hours. Actually, it might even bring a couple triplebutters to my page.

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe

Weasyl
    Noxid
    You can't prevent others from adding tags to your images, only from removing tags that you've made.
    Anyway, I can relate to the sentiment of the OP. Tags help everyone, especially when it comes to blacklist material. But artists are silly.