Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pushing Boundaries

Very happy for an update. However, I am not as fond off what it seems to look like. Will there be an option to keep the old look?

=3

Just wanted to say, super excited to see this getting implemented! I've been really frustrated browsing the site with the old thumbail system, and I'm really hoping this will bring in more browsing traffic. Props to the site staff for listening to the community and putting in the work to make the change.

I also second what Firehazard was saying, I'd really like to see an option to globally disable all custom thumbnails. I'm glad to hear this is in the pipeline. Lagos, in response to your comments on the matter, I'd expect to find the option under Settings > Site Preferences. I'd also agree that it should only apply to visual submissions, and the custom thumbnails for text/ video submissions should be kept.

Weasyl
    Lorien077
    I like the new look. Normally I prefer a uniform grid but I'm perfectly pleased with the upgrade to this system over the square thumbs.

Just a quick question; I've been having an issue with thumbnails in that rather graphic little squares appear in my inbox, featuring content I would not normally chose to view. Is there a way around that? If not could at some point in the future there be an option to not see the thumbnails of works of certain ratings? (Or is there one and I missed it?)
    You have my permission not to love me; I am a cathedral of deadbolts and I’d rather burn myself down than change the locks.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #34
    Weasyl
    lagos
    Quote Originally Posted by Stakie View Post
    Very happy for an update. However, I am not as fond off what it seems to look like. Will there be an option to keep the old look?
    Hi, Stakie. At this time, there are no plans to continue supporting the old look and that won't be an option at launch. I think most people will like the new look (at least the old thumbnails have been our #1 user complaint and we ourselves think the new thumbs look great), but obviously not everyone is going to like it. Unfortunately, I don't think we have the resources to support two looks at once well right now.

Please give it a try for a few days when it launches. If there are still things you dislike after using it for a while, we'd be happy to receive feedback: After all, this entire thumbnail-revamp was motivated by user complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagos View Post
    Please give it a try for a few days when it launches. If there are still things you dislike after using it for a while, we'd be happy to receive feedback: After all, this entire thumbnail-revamp was motivated by user complaints.
    Please stop. You're making my faith in humanity restore too much!

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #36
    Weasyl
    lagos
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien077 View Post
    Just a quick question; I've been having an issue with thumbnails in that rather graphic little squares appear in my inbox, featuring content I would not normally chose to view. Is there a way around that? If not could at some point in the future there be an option to not see the thumbnails of works of certain ratings? (Or is there one and I missed it?)
    Hello, Lorien. You can set the maximum level of content viewable on the site under Settings > Site Preferences. Now that being said, notifications have had a few bugs in the past due to all the cases where a submission changes its rating, becomes friends only, two people stop being friends, etc. so it's worked less well there than it has in other places--we fix the bugs as we find them. I assume that you're talking about seeing thumbnails in your notifications that are above the maximum rating you've set for the site?

We actually pushed another fix around notifications and ratings earlier this week in fact. If that fixes the problem and these thumbnails stop showing up, great. On the other hand, if you continue to see a notification for something that's above your current maximum rating, it's a bug and you should open a topic in the weasyl support forum. We'll want to know your account name, the maximum rating you have, etc.

The only really tricky thing about 'disable custom thumbnails' is the design decision around non-visual submissions: For a visual submission the notion of a generated thumbnail is straightforward: It's just a thumbnail built out of the submission itself. But what's the 'default thumbnail' for a multimedia embedded YouTube video with a cover and a thumbnail? Is it the thumbnail itself? Is it a generated thumbnail from the cover image? Is it the preview image YouTube provides? What makes sense as an answer for this is going to vary from person to person and submission to submission. My personal intuition right now is that 'no custom thumbnails' should be an option that only applies to visual submissions.
    I did mean just visual art. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Unless anyone has any bright ideas of how to produce automatic thumbnails for other things, of course.

In particular, a lot of artists have put in a lot of time crafting custom thumbnails that label triggering content. This was one of the primary motivations around providing an 'opt-out tool' at launch to let people restore their old thumbnails.
    You might have missed my edit — the mandatory tagging rule and blacklist kind of probably makes "warning" thumbnails unnecessary. And if it doesn't, then users who have triggers shouldn't have to be reliant on people making such thumbnails voluntarily, either. But I don't know how you'd work around that.

Weasyl
    Noxid
    Yeah the thumbnails are probably unnecessary, but that doesn't mean people won't still cling to them
    anyway
    new thumbs sounds alright, I never really had a problem with the old ones but I doubt I'll have a problem with the new ones either.

Weasyl
    Sparra
    As long as people won't be able to make thumbnails that totally hide/misrepresent what the image actually contains (for example, just seeing a face in the thumbnail of a super-adult fetish image) I will be happy.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #40

Weasyl
    Hendikins
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparra View Post
    As long as people won't be able to make thumbnails that totally hide/misrepresent what the image actually contains (for example, just seeing a face in the thumbnail of a super-adult fetish image) I will be happy.
    We're not removing the ability to crop thumbnails or upload custom thumbnails. I would expect this to greatly reduce the amount of use the crop tool gets, however.