Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pushing Boundaries

Weasyl
    KajTaotsu
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonfangArun View Post
    i have to agree with drake, i like having organized thumbnails. don't get me wrong, i like the dynamic thumbnails, but for certain tasks it's best to have square ones. regretfully i probably will leave weasyl if there's no option to have grid thumbnails.
    If its for dealing with custom thumbnails, they are going to have a tool to re-apply those so you'd still have the old squares instead of the dynamic display. I could see an option to showing either the square or dynamic being a possibility, but that's more for the devs to answer about instead of just a user like me ^^;
    Even after the darkest nights, morning always comes.

Hungry? Check out my gallery for recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    I agree, I love it for browsing, but for the submission notification screen the regularity of the grid makes it so much easier to go through and select the specific images.
    This one. This would be the purely perfect combination I think.
    Of course, we're talking about Weasyl here, not YouTube or FA. It probably will already be like this by default, and if not the devs will no doubt fix or keep feature as they see it'd be fit for the most user-friendly possible look.
    Last edited by Banderi; 07-05-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Weasyl
    KajTaotsu
    I could see the combo working, but it could also cause issues since the submission creator would still end up having to crop images and the main point many people have against the squares would still be relevant. Only way I see the grid style working was if it was set up like how other art sites do it.
    Even after the darkest nights, morning always comes.

Hungry? Check out my gallery for recipes!

Hm, you have a point. I remember DeviantART let you choose on the fly whether to display submissions as thumbnails or text based notifications, maybe you could do it like that and have the automatic crop for people who just like the uniform look.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    i have to agree with drake, i like having organized thumbnails. don't get me wrong, i like the dynamic thumbnails, but for certain tasks it's best to have square ones. regretfully i probably will leave weasyl if there's no option to have grid thumbnails.
    People will leave a site for any dern reason these days.

To clarify: I don't want square thumbnails. They're dumb as hell. I want arbitrary aspect ratio thumbnails, but smushing them all together in a continuous blob makes it hard to scan IMO. I just want them to be put in a regular grid, like... every other art gallery site ever.

I suppose it's a good thing I never got around to uploading very much of what I have published elsewhere. The pre-existing thumbnail device had better work wonders, because I'd hate to waste my time modifying what's already there.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #18
    Weasyl
    lagos
    Quote Originally Posted by drake View Post
    To clarify: I don't want square thumbnails. They're dumb as hell. I want arbitrary aspect ratio thumbnails, but smushing them all together in a continuous blob makes it hard to scan IMO. I just want them to be put in a regular grid, like... every other art gallery site ever.
    At this time there's no way to keep the thumbnails in a grid. They're organized into rows of uniform height, but within a row the widths may vary. Try it out for a while when it launches; I was skeptical myself at first as well, but it really does create an effect similar to reading a book left to right, and I got used to it. It also uses space more efficiently than a grid, which is important for large, non-uniform thumbnails.

If you still aren't satisfied with it, we'd value that feedback. At this point in time, there are no plans for supporting two different layouts. However, the observation about a grid for notifications is an interesting one, and if people do find the new layout problematic for notifications, we may look into creating a look there that works better there. In that case still, we'd probably only support one layout in each place, i.e. a grid for notifications (and perhaps some other areas of the site) and the uniform-height-variable-width rows everywhere else.

Handling the transition and any hiccups will probably occupy us for a while at first, of course.

Weasyl
    Uluri
    Awesomeness. Glad to see Thumbnails will now show the full image.

Thanks, Weasyl!

I'm also in favor of a grid display if possible, but the fact we're moving from square thumbs is already an improvement in my book.

To people requesting square thumbnails for browsing the inbox, this would be sorted out by having a consistent grid; instead of keeping 2 thumb systems, you just change how they fill the screen.
    I suggest the UI crew study deviantART's current system - they did the same "organic grid" in the past and put a regular alignment toggle option later on.

Just one question: what happens with way too wide or way too tall images? Let's say an aspect ratio of 20:1 or 1:20. I'm afraid wide images might break stuff and tall images will go unnoticed as a thin line between pictures.