Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pushing Boundaries

Weasyl
    Swanda
    Well there is a big difference between wanting a grid layout and wanting the old thumbnails back.
    I'm okay with them implementing a grid layout as an option, but I'll object violently to bringing the old thumbnails back in any way or form. They were horrible at displaying visual art, and I would hate to know that people were looking through my gallery like that when there are now better options.
    They were SO TINY, you couldn't see jack s'**, unless the submission was already an icon commission or something.
    That said, if you want to continue the square look in your own gallery, Weasyl actually did give you that option. Pressing Left shift while using the thumbnail editor will force your selection to a square format.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanda View Post
    That said, if you want to continue the square look in your own gallery, Weasyl actually did give you that option. Pressing Left shift while using the thumbnail editor will force your selection to a square format.
    I tried that. The thumbnails are still massive compared to the old ones. The old thumbnails did the job they were suppose to. You could see a preview of the pics just fine. It made glancing through a gallery quick and easy. The new thumbnails are now so big you almost don't need to actually click on the full image anymore.

Weasyl
    Swanda
    I do Agree that the new ones are a tad too big, the old ones however were way, way, WAY too small.
    You might have been able to glance through fast, but you would get too little information to actually have seen the value of the art.
    It's a balance, and the old was horrid, the new is way better but not perfect yet.

Weasyl
    oly
    I agree that they're a bit too large.

I don't agree that it should be put back on a grid. I love that it's dynamic. Having an option would be great if that's workable though, of course.

This new update is AWESOME! I love it!

I say don't change a thing

I really don't think adding options for grid-aligned, as well as size options, should be too hard. It's entirely front-end if you use the same thumbnail images for all of them, just some different CSS.
    Last edited by Socks the Fox; 07-11-2015 at 07:26 PM.

The main downside is each extra option multiplies the amount of testing needed, since if they change the layout to add other features in the future it could interact with the CSS in wonky ways.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    I'd assume that making the grid layout subordinate to the fluid one in terms of size and content would largely protect it from future conflicts. In settings you could append something like "(preferred)" to the fluid layout to warn people that the grid is a compromise. Of course, that still would require adding natural support for multiple styles in the first place.

I posted a negative initial impression, but after spending some more time actually using the site I'm warming up to the new thumbnails quite a bit. The improvement in usability outweighs any aesthetic complaints I have by a metric ton. Even if they are a bit uncomfortably large in the browser at first blush, giving such a clear picture is saving me a lot of clickthroughs. That's great for a viewer and maybe less great for an artist, from a certain perspective, but I don't personally pay much attention to my view counts.

This might be a weird stance, but I am against giving users more options. I'd rather see commitment to one solution that works as well as it can. If specific users want something else, community tweaks like Storm's Stylish mod are out there (and Weasyl can call attention to those via news updates, the Twitter feed, a dedicated list in the help section, etc. if they like). If the dev team keep pushing Weasyl toward being a great site with great things to offer, people will put up with its quirks to get what they want from it.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #190
    Weasyl
    lagos
    For those of you who have been complaining about misleading thumbnails, we've added an option to disable custom thumbnails for visual submissions under site preferences:

https://www.weasyl.com/control/editpreferences

I know this doesn't help people who have had the opposite, negative experiences with more, hm, 'startling' content on the pages or other grievances. One thing at a time, you know.

EDIT: Found a bug on this in search results: It can strip the thumbnails from multimedia/literary submissions in those places, where it shouldn't. Will try to get a fix out soon.
    Last edited by Lagos; 07-15-2015 at 02:23 AM.