Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pushing Boundaries

Weasyl
    N/A
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    KajTaotsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuvadoches View Post
    The truth hurts.
    If you believe pushing a new thumbnail scheme when the square thumbnails were #1 issue with users to selling off your website to IMVU and then adding 'mature ads' to it, you need to get your priorities checked out severely.
    Even after the darkest nights, morning always comes.

Hungry? Check out my gallery for recipes!

Weasyl
    sp
    Quote Originally Posted by KajTaotsu View Post
    Dude theres only so much that we as the user community can do to have temporary fixes for updates if you dont like them. The Stylish addon that Storm has provided, as a user and not staff, only affects how the page is organized pretty much, offering the grid instead of flow. Changing the size and amount of submissions shown on a page are built into the site and cant be edited by 3rd party software.

This update was literally just put out yesterday, give the staff some time to figure out what they want/need to do next.

Also putting Weasyl on the same pedestal as FA is a huge slap in the face to everyone that uses and works on this site. They've been more than grateful for user feedback, ideas, input, theyre on top of keeping users in the know with info and issues, and work constantly to make this place better. It's like telling your server at a high-end restaurant is just as bad as McD's because the burger you just ordered had onions on it and you dont like onions, even if it was a total mistake and they would fix it right asap. The product may not be perfect, but it's still higher quality than what is at other places. Compared to FA and what has happened over the 8 years Ive personally been over there, this site has been pretty damn spot-on.
    Then Weasyl should've taken more care with the update and not rushed it out, had the option in place to choose between the old thumbs and the new ones the second it went active.
    It was moves like this that sealed FA's fate long ago.
    In fairness if Neer had done this on FA the members would be trying to lynch him for it.

I tell it as it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heuvadoches View Post
    Hate it. Don't want it. Where's the option to show the old looK?
    Agreed.
    This is why I always keep SF as my main site.

Weasyl
    N/A
    It seems this thread is missing two words at the end: "of entitlement".

As an artist who's trying to use Weasyl as my main gallery, the thumb update is a welcome change. Over time the square thumbs made me less likely to upload, as I was basically assured every new upload would make my gallery look more and more monotonous. While there's definitely valid critique to be made, I worry there's a bit of a vocal minority going on here when it comes to arguing against them.

This new thumb system is one of the more efficient uses of monitor space for displaying galleries, so it doesn't really seem disorganized to me (worth noting that I have a large monitor, though, so I can see where some folks are coming from when they're asking for a scaled-down option). Putting variable amounts of space between thumbs in order to maintain a fixed grid seems more disorganized and haphazard, if that's something to be brought up.

This thumb update was in the works for a long time, as one of the first complaints brought up was against Weasyl's small square thumbs, so I really doubt this was rushed. It's impossible for a site to move forward while completely maintaining legacy support. Old formats weigh a site down, exponentially over time, and you can't expect a site to keep supporting them. Especially when that site still has "beta" across its logo.

I hate to make comparisons, but some of this staunch stance of "this doesn't work!!" makes me wonder who hasn't seen the thumbs on Flickr (aka the only professional photography site I know of). Like come on.
    They are gorgeous imo - so I'm really excited seeing wzl's thumbs in a similar way. I didn't mind the square thumbs or grid layout (some crops I liked so much I never deleted them from my notifs in fact - ) but seeing the same submissions in full now and in a way I can read is somehow exciting? I really enjoy looking over what's new and old now.

I agree that sizing can use fiddling on the home page most, and browsing journals is a little weird rn (mostly at the expense of even medium-ish titles being lost to ellipses) but overall I'm happy. People need to remember the devs aren't dusting their hands off like "that's that" here with the layout options. It's a process that evolves and each step isn't easy to leap from in bounds.

I like the thumbnail change. The size is ok. I don't mind if the landscape image thumbnails look bigger (actually it's just longer) than the portrait ones. It's a consequence. Making the landscape image thumbs smaller or giving portrait image thumbs some blank space on both sides will make it look messy. It's pretty and tidy now. I just wish, we could have more gallery folders shown on the profile and the ability to choose which folders to show on our profile page.

Weasyl
    KajTaotsu
    Quote Originally Posted by emmil View Post
    I just wish, we could have more gallery folders shown on the profile and the ability to choose which folders to show on our profile page.
    If you're meaning like the folders showing their content up top like favorites, characters, or submissions in general, that would be a cool option! Would give artists a great way to promote certain works like comic series' and portfolios.
    Even after the darkest nights, morning always comes.

Hungry? Check out my gallery for recipes!

Personally, I really like the new setup. In fact, I like it better than the other art sites. The old system was like looking through a keyhole, and the new one lets you see all the art on the page in its entirety. The whole point of an art site is to showcase art, and IMO, anything that does that more effectively should take priority over whether all the grids line up.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSavage View Post

Well you can't please everybody all the time, I suppose.
    Ain't that the truth...