Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pushing Boundaries

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #51

Weasyl
    Hendikins
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayPossum View Post
    And another question that came to mind: it's been said custom thumbs will have the 2:1~1:2 aspect ratio limit, but will this be free reign to the user? Like having a wide image, but making a tall thumbnail?
    The thumbnail can be of any aspect ratio (within the limits), regardless of the aspect ratio of the submitted piece.

Weasyl
    Heuvadoches
    Do not want.

Prefer consistent, grid style, uniform thumbs.

Please ensure there's an option to NOT use this new, horrible, disorganized option.
    Main Repository at SoFurry

THE NEW THUMBS SUCK

Quote Originally Posted by piñardilla View Post
    One of the devteam's design goals is that Weasyl work just as well on mobile devices as desktop computers without them being two separate projects, and anything "mouseover" flies in the face of that, since mobile interfaces don't use pointing devices. We do have an open API so that users can create third-party extensions that enhance Weasyl's functionality on their platform of choice. Noxid's Weasyl Enhancer extension mentioned a few posts up seems like exactly what you're looking for.
    Would making tap and hold also bring up the overlay count as "treating mobile as a separate project"?

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Firehazard View Post
    I did mean just visual art. ...
    Hi there, Firehazard.

I know that this isn't directly related to the topic at hand, but I did want to bring to your attention another change made about a week back that you'd asked to have addressed, which was 'Many pages having a title of 'Weasyl''.

We identified several places where a more descriptive HTML title could be put in place, and have done so. If you'd like to take a look around, please see if you find the additions more to your liking, and if history is more navigable now. Thanks!

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #55
    Weasyl
    lagos
    Hi, PlayPossum. I think Hendikins clarified the ratio issue (i.e. you can crop what you want from the image as long as the final thumbnail has a max ratio between 2:1 and 1:2).

On the notion of distinguishing between different submission types, the new thumbnails will distinguish between music and non-music submissions based on subtype, but that's it right now. We could detect shockwave easily but I don't know what an icon for that should look like. Some embedded links, such as YouTube, provide us with thumbnails that we use if none is provided.

For things like generating text previews or looking into mp3s, it's good ideas and doable (although do our users utilize the cover art tags in their mp3s? I honestly don't know), but it requires supporting another library in the code base. So I can't say when that will be done or if it even will at all. If text previews are something a lot of people want, though, and they request them, we'll certainly look into it.

Thanks.

EDIT: Ah. I see that in your other screenshot, type of a multimedia submission is indicated with a tiny corner icon. Interesting.
    Last edited by Lagos; 07-06-2015 at 12:54 PM.

Weasyl
    Storm
    First of all, BIG THANK YOU!

It wasn't that big issue for me personally but if this kept many people away from Weasyl, then I'm happy it's fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by drake View Post
    ..PLEASE tell me that there'll be an option to keep the thumbnails aligned in a proper grid.
    If they use proper CSS, then it will take less than a minute to write a user Style you can use with the Stylish addon for any major browser, and have them gridded for you.

BUT... the beats the whole purpose, IMO.

Remember, there was lost of discussion on how to properly address this, since some pics are very wide, or tall, etc. and forcing them into equal size boxes would make those very tiny. This was the main issue with properly sized thumbnails, that was brought up. This fluid design is the solution for that!

Still... once it's out I can whip up a User Style and give instructions on how to use it, for those who want grid boxes...

P.s.: I got OCPD, lack of organization drives me nuts, and yet, I will rather use the fluid design because it is simply much more efficient.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heuvadoches View Post
    horrible, disorganized option.
    That's like calling bananas horrible, tasteless things, just because you personally don't like them.

I got OCPD and I prefer the new fluid one...

What's the point of an organized grid if you can'§t see sh*t from the actual pics?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien077 View Post
    If not could at some point in the future there be an option to not see the thumbnails of works of certain ratings? (Or is there one and I missed it?)
    Most likely will be easily doable via a local CSS, like as what I suggested for restoring grid for those who want that.
    Last edited by Storm; 07-06-2015 at 01:50 PM.
    - Storm ~ "Sic itur ad astra per aspera." [Commission info]

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #57

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Firehazard View Post
    Would making tap and hold also bring up the overlay count as "treating mobile as a separate project"?
    My understanding is that if it requires detection of what sort of device Weasyl is being viewed with to determine the appropriate UI behavior, it's a no-go. Reading would be difficult with a finger in the way anyways.

Try out that browser extension. I use it myself, it's pretty nifty.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Quote Originally Posted by skylerbunny View Post
    Hi there, Firehazard.

I know that this isn't directly related to the topic at hand, but I did want to bring to your attention another change made about a week back that you'd asked to have addressed, which was 'Many pages having a title of 'Weasyl''.

We identified several places where a more descriptive HTML title could be put in place, and have done so. If you'd like to take a look around, please see if you find the additions more to your liking, and if history is more navigable now. Thanks!
    It's an improvement, yeah. Adding "Home" to the home page might have actually been overkill, at least once all the other pages with titles of just "Weasyl" had been dealt with. And they haven't; the notifications pages as well as staff posts (like the one that directed me to this thread) are still generic. Everything else seems to be fixed.

I'd like to add my voice to those who would like a fixed grid with variable whitespace to be an option. While this kind of layout is nice for simply looking at a bunch of images and possibly picking a couple out, I have long found it sucks when it comes to going through them all.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #60

Weasyl
    pinardilla
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.