Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pushing Boundaries

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Quote Originally Posted by s_p View Post
    I regret all the nice things I said about weasyl now, this site is starting to seem just as bad as FA.

That would require Weasyl to not have an update since inception. Your comparison is illogical and poorly contrived.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Honestly, to everyone complaining like this is the worst thing since FA hired a dog-fucker and a rapist as an admin, you're everything that's wrong with the antho community. You complain about change. You complain about lack of change. You complain because X feature was not to your liking. You complain because Y feature was not good enough.

Honestly, Weasyl has bent over backwards to address every issue that's come across it's plate. Thankless, I might add. If you wanted square thumbnails you should have spoken up earlier to express your satisfaction. You didn't. You remined the silent minority. Get over it.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #123
    Weasyl
    lagos
    Quote Originally Posted by emmil View Post
    I just wish, we could have more gallery folders shown on the profile and the ability to choose which folders to show on our profile page.
    Currently we select 3 folders at random with a random submission inside to use a thumbnail*. I like the latter feature--it adds a little variety. But I see how the former forces artists to pick between having more folders and maintaining control.

I don't want to get this thread off-topic, but maybe you could open a thread in the suggestions forum? Some questions for that: Is the three folder limit a problem? If there were a notion of 'priority folders', which were always selected over non-priority folders, but if you had more than three, it would select three priority folders randomly, would that be sufficient?

There's obviously greater degrees of control but too many knobs can create a schizophrenic experience, so I prefer to think of the simplest thing.

* We used to have some oversights where thumbnails would be selected for images that were above the browsing user's settings or contained black list tags, etc. but I think I fixed all of those. Report on the support thread if it's ever weird.

Weasyl
    grompe
    I welcome the new thumbnails.
    However, artists still have an option to arbitrarily crop the thumbnail and users have no way to disable such custom thumbnails for their view.

I feel that keeps fueling the problem that change was trying to solve in the first place: letting users have a general preview of the images.

Granted, there are fewer cropped thumbnails now (80% of images in my inbox have non-cropped thumbnails) and this is a step in the right direction, but I'd like an option to always see automatically generated thumbnails rather than what authors have cropped.
    Last edited by Grom PE; 07-08-2015 at 02:17 AM.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    I enjoy a proper thumbnail where I'm not tricked into looking at some half-baked fetish piece because the artists made the thumbnail out of the ONE good section of art.

"Oh hey the eyes look good on this aaaaaaaaaaand it's watersports diaper art they didn't tag."
    Last edited by RedSavage; 07-08-2015 at 02:28 AM.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #126

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Grom PE View Post
    I welcome the new thumbnails.
    However, artists still have an option to arbitrarily crop the thumbnail and users have no way to disable such custom thumbnails for their view.

I feel that keeps fueling the problem that change was trying to solve in the first place: letting users have a general preview of the images.

Granted, there are fewer cropped thumbnails now (80% of images in my inbox have non-cropped thumbnails) and this is a step in the right direction, but I'd like an option to always see automatically generated thumbnails rather than what authors have cropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSavage View Post
    I enjoy a proper thumbnail where I'm not tricked into looking at some half-baked fetish piece because the artists made the thumbnail out of the ONE good section of art.

"Oh hey the eyes look good on this aaaaaaaaaaand it's watersports diaper art they didn't tag."
    Thanks for the feedback. We'll look at an option to disable custom thumbnails as a possibility. We expect a lot less use of custom thumbnails now though, as it seems like a lot of them were done because it was mandatory to crop somewhere when thumbnails had to be square.

If you encounter any thumbnails that you find to actually be misleading about its content, please file a ticket to report it to the mod team. Tricking users with misleading thumbnails is prohibited by our Community Guidelines (§ I.B.3).
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Yeah, custom thumbnails are a pretty bad idea. Since the new update, people seem to just choose some landscape picture that has nothing to do with the actual picture as a thumbnail, just so it takes up more place and attracts more views.

I think custom thumbnails do have a place, like when it's used as a warning about content. The fact is, whatever setup you use, there are going to be people who will try to work it to their advantage.

Weasyl
    Storm
    Seems like I'll have to post this 2-3 times on every page because many people still don't read, just complain.

Custom Weasyl: Grid view thumbnails
    - Storm ~ "Sic itur ad astra per aspera." [Commission info]

Weasyl
    sp
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Christ. I didn't think thumbnails on a site could ruin someone's life this bad. lmao

And suddenly, I'm no longer surprised by your demeanor.

EDIT: Just for the people who seem to be raging needlessly.

1) They're thumbnails.
    The site is not broken. It is not running slower (at least not due to anything outside of higher traffic). It was not rearranged to make it unfamiliar. It's not even objectively bad. If you don't like it, cool. Express your grievances calmly/assertively and the staff will do what they can to reach a compromise. Trust me, they've done so for far pettier complaints. Calm down. Relax. And ditch the entitlement. I'm sure most of the ones going the most ape haven't even given a dime to Weasyl. lol

It's slightly bigger thumbnails. This is not even close to the "worst thing" they've done. You will fucking live. A Pachi Promise™.

2) For the ones "threatening" to pack up and leave...welp, seeya. I don't know about the mods, but the rest of us will damn sure not care. That's not telling you to go, but I doubt many will care if you leave stomping your feet over something so slight.

3) Oh please god don't even try to compare it to FA fuckups. I'll be here alllll damn day soundly dismantling that terrible logic. Please lets not get into that ballpark.
    There's nothing wrong with Sofurry.
    They've ruined the site with this, messy and oversized it ruins the whole experience of browsing weasyl and puts me off using the site.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    That would require Weasyl to not have an update since inception. Your comparison is illogical and poorly contrived.
    No update at all is better then this crap.