Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pushing Boundaries

Hey guys! Love the new update. New size thumbnails are great. I was wondering if it was possible to have an option size them all down uniformly? Like "zooming out"? I really loved seeing lots of submissions simultaneously.

I really love weasyl, it's my favorite art site! Thanks so much for creating such a user friendly site with such a wondreful community.

I think they seem a bit... big X3

I think having the height at 200px (at least on a 1080p monitor) is the sweet spot between too big (reducing the number of submissions visible at one time, knocking some off the front page early) and too small (making it difficult to tell what a submission is about).

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #73
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFelesRubrum View Post
    Hey guys! Love the new update. New size thumbnails are great. I was wondering if it was possible to have an option size them all down uniformly? Like "zooming out"? I really loved seeing lots of submissions simultaneously.
    We'll definitely keep this idea in mind — one of our biggest points of feedback was that people really wanted a great impression of what was behind the thumbnail, but there's definitely a case for people that would rather see more thumbs instead of more thumb. Thanks for the feedback!

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #74

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Also worth pointing out that most browsers have a zoom function. Holding CTRL and pressing -, =, or scrolling the mouse wheel are the most common shortcuts for it. Given the variety of screen sizes and resolutions out there, it's difficult to hit on a one-size-fits-all solution.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    https://www.weasyl.com/search?find=char

The only issue I'm having with this is that most character subs with 100x100 icons get spaced really far apart. I don't know if they need to just update the icons to be 200x200 or what, but yeah.
    The issue is the same with journals, IIRC

Weasyl
    sp
    I found how to change my own submission thumbnails back to the original size thanks to the link, but how do I change the thumbnails in my watchlist back to the original smaller size?

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #77
    Weasyl
    lagos
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    The only issue I'm having with this is that most character subs with 100x100 icons get spaced really far apart. I don't know if they need to just update the icons to be 200x200 or what, but yeah.
    The issue is the same with journals, IIRC
    Hello, Gamedog.

The way we represent characters and their thumbnails are a bit problematic: We couldn't generate new thumbnails for them and we can't pre-calculate their widths the way we can with other content, so they're always represented in squares. The smaller icons are the historical ones from before the change over. Newer characters will benefit from the larger thumbnails: You'll see that the newer ones are larger--but they're still constrained inside squares. Well, the good news is here at least people who prefer a grid will get a chance to see what they want and test it out. We do have a plan to bring characters more in line with the rest of our content but I can't provide a time estimate.

On the journal front, these are based on avatars, which are still small. We may need to look into a different layout there.

Thanks for the feedback.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_p View Post
    I found how to change my own submission thumbnails back to the original size thanks to the link, but how do I change the thumbnails in my watchlist back to the original smaller size?
    Hello, s_p.

If I understand your question correctly, you're asking about the size of thumbnail images in your notifications. Is that right? Those are under control of the submission owners and only they can restore the original thumbnails. Any new submissions will also only have the larger thumbnails. At this point in time, we don't have plans to support the old geometry. If that's disappointing, feel free to leave feedback in this thread.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #78

Weasyl
    Hendikins
    Quote Originally Posted by s_p View Post
    You can only change the thumbnails on your own submissions. Thumbnails on submissions owned by other users will be whatever that user has set.

Weasyl
    xofrats
    While I like the new thumbnails, I agree with UndyingSong. I tend to noticed the landscape pictures first.

But luckily, so far, it seems likes there's more portrait thumbnails. So I wouldn't call it a problem yet.

Weasyl
    sp
    "Hello, s_p.

If I understand your question correctly, you're asking about the size of thumbnail images in your notifications. Is that right? Those are under control of the submission owners and only they can restore the original thumbnails. Any new submissions will also only have the larger thumbnails. At this point in time, we don't have plans to support the old geometry. If that's disappointing, feel free to leave feedback in this thread."

That is very disappointing as the new format is worse than the old one and in my view a huge step backward.
    It wastes so much space and to be honest you seem to be shafting those of us with full sized screens for people that have smaller screens such as tablets and phones.

If I'm honest it puts me of viewing my notifications.
    You really shouldn't make such changes unless the option is in place to keep the original settings, FA did that and it drove a lot away until in the end they were forced to make it adjustable in the settings.
    I always gave weasyl more credit than FA, maybe I was wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

"You can only change the thumbnails on your own submissions. Thumbnails on submissions owned by other users will be whatever that user has set."

That's a bit pointless, the thumbnails that matter most I can't change.
    This so called upgrade wasn't thought out very well.
    Last edited by s_p; 07-07-2015 at 05:22 AM.