Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pushing Boundaries

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Dunno if it's because the new update brought a big influx of users, but the site has been extremely slow since it was pushed.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #62
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    We at Weasyl are proud to announce the launch of the new redesigned thumbnails! The development team has been hard at work on Weasyl’s systems to allow for a better experience on both desktop and mobile devices. The larger thumbnails will better represent submissions throughout the site.

As we mentioned in our previous news post, all submissions with square thumbnails have now been converted to new larger ones, where possible. If you still want to use your old thumbnails, don’t worry! They have not been lost. A tool to restore your old thumbnails for individual submissions is available in your Weasyl settings.

While we’ve tested the new look internally, this change represents a significant restructuring of Weasyl’s codebase, and we never assume that we’ve caught everything. If you encounter bugs or unexpected behavior, please post your issue in our feedback and questions thread.

The developers have made some other upgrades to the site as well. You can now:

-Press and hold “Shift” while creating custom thumbnails to keep them square
    -Press “F” to favorite a submission and “C” to comment on it, in addition to the existing folder navigation using the left and right arrow keys
    -Preview earlier and later submissions in a folder from directly beneath the current submission

With the upgrade to Weasyl’s look, we’re updating our browser standards. Some features may look different in older browsers, such as IE9 and below, and Android versions 2.x and earlier. Apologies for this! If you have issues browsing, you may wish to upgrade your browser or consider another way to connect with us.

We’re glad to finally share this change with you, and look forward to the next!
    Last edited by Tiger; 07-06-2015 at 11:03 PM. Reason: sorry, internet derped!

Weasyl
    FurryWurry
    I have (or rather I had) custom thumbnails for 13 recent story postings. When I looked at them just now, the most recent three thumbnails had been converted to large icons which were all the same image (one containing the letters A and a). The other ten thumbnails had not (yet) been converted. See https://www.weasyl.com/~furrywurry

a) (Un)fortunately the statement that all thumbnails have been converted is incorrect.

b) I got a "gateway timeout" error page when attempting to access the information about how to restore the previous icons. I suspect that this timeout and the lag that people are reporting might be related to the conversion process still running and beating heavily on the database, while at the same time people are trying to restore their previous icons.

Edited to add:
    I've switched back to my original icons. The conversion tool showed that four icons had been changed.
    fw

Weasyl
    UndyingSong
    This new appearance with the thumbnails creates a bias towards images of the "landscape" variety while pushing portrait-shaped pictures into the background by automatically making them smaller.. So people are less likely to click and look.

Weasyl
    Sparra
    Here's hoping we don't have the previous issue of everyone just making a thumbnail of some small portion of the image and/or just the face which doesn't represent the whole image!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    The developers have made some other upgrades to the site as well. You can now:

-Press and hold “Shift” while creating custom thumbnails to keep them square
    -Press “F” to favorite a submission and “C” to comment on it, in addition to the existing folder navigation using the left and right arrow keys
    So what was that about not adding features that aren't available on mobile? Because the last time I checked, most mobile devices didn't have physical keyboards.

I'm not sure squashing the thumbnails together is the best choice of layout. Aligning thumbnails to a grid like they were before or giving more portrait-oriented images wider side margins to offset them might help with the problem UndyingSong mentioned and give the layout a bit more breathing room in general. A cleaner layout would also help Weasyl look more like the art gallery it is - this layout looks more like a photo-sharing site like Pinterest, or a Google image search. It looks very busy and cramped and chaotic, like pictures were just dumped all over the screen wherever they would fit, not cared for and curated. The thumbnails also just seem uncomfortably large to me, but I'm guessing larger thumbnails were a common request to show more detailed previews.

This is definitely a functional improvement, and one that most everyone seems to want, so I suppose I'll adapt. I'll try catching up a bit on my ridiculous backlog and see if it grows on me. Regardless of my personal preferences, it's always great to see the site growing and changing.

Weasyl
    Skrimptious
    I don't even know if it's possible, but for those that liked the grid and still want full previews/thumbnails perhaps Weasyl Team could try something like This in the future - because compromise.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #70
    Weasyl
    lagos
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryWurry View Post
    I have (or rather I had) custom thumbnails for 13 recent story postings. When I looked at them just now, the most recent three thumbnails had been converted to large icons which were all the same image (one containing the letters A and a). The other ten thumbnails had not (yet) been converted. See https://www.weasyl.com/~furrywurry

a) (Un)fortunately the statement that all thumbnails have been converted is incorrect.
    Hi, FurryWurry. Thanks for the feedback.

You are correct. Unfortunately, in the case of literary or multimedia submissions it isn't always possible to generate a new thumbnail: Unlike visual submissions there isn't a clear image to work from for this--cover is not always the right answer, for example. This is why we said 'All existing visual submissions will have their thumbnails converted to full-preview thumbnails that are generated automatically' (emphasis added). Not trying to be pedantic about it: We could have probably drawn out this distinction with more clarity.

Where possible, we've pre-emptively copied over the old thumbnails for literary and multimedia submissions to new ones, so that literary submissions wouldn't suddenly all be without thumbnails at the switch over. However, there was a window wherein new literary/multimedia submissions would not receive this treatment automatically. Fortunately, we designed the restore tool to be able to set them back, as you did if I'm reading you correctly. If anyone can't find their old thumbnails with the restore tool, that's a bug and you should report it.

b) I got a "gateway timeout" error page when attempting to access the information about how to restore the previous icons. I suspect that this timeout and the lag that people are reporting might be related to the conversion process still running and beating heavily on the database, while at the same time people are trying to restore their previous icons.
    Spoilers: The conversion process finished weeks ago and we've just been sneakily creating new thumbnails in the background for visual submissions ever since. = But you're right about the rest of it: I suspect the database is busy. If people keep experiencing lag here, please let us know!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    I don't even know if it's possible, but for those that liked the grid and still want full previews/thumbnails perhaps Weasyl Team could try something like This in the future - because compromise.
    Hello, Skrimp. Thanks for the suggestion.

We actually did investigate a fluid-column layout while experimenting. It scrolls well, especially on mobile. However, we chose to go for fluid rows: They are intuitive to scan, similar to reading for the majority of our users. Because Weasyl sorts most thing by time, it's important that the layout be easy to follow in a chronological order, and we found that rows were much clearer for that.

We'll keep it in mind. But at this time, I think we're still recovering from one drastic layout overhaul and are going to let things settle a bit before considering another one. =