Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pushing Boundaries

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #151

Weasyl
    Hendikins
    Quote Originally Posted by ijoe View Post
    Custom thumbnails really should stay here. If I want to upload something weird that some people might not like, it gives me a space for some kind of content warning. Or if I'm posting a big comic or drawing progression all in one page, it would be really difficult for someone browsing to tell what it is without making my own thumbnail.
    Custom thumbnails aren't going anywhere. An option to always see default thumbnails when browsing the site is in review. I will note that if custom thumbnails are used for content warnings, it should be in conjunction with proper tagging (not in lieu of it).

People using misleading thumbnails for clickbaiting can just be reported/sent a generic warning message by the mods, or preferably the site could adopt an E621-style tagging system and just let people filter as they see fit. Bad tagging is something that really should be cracked down on for sites with adult content.
    Community tagging and tag blacklisting are already available - although there are other ways in which the tagging system could be improved. Misleading thumbnails should be reported as piñardilla mentioned earlier.

Another minor feature that I'd personally like to see implemented if time allows... blocking content by file extension. I can do this with adblock but it leaves big blank thumbnails that waste a ton of space.
    I'm curious as to the use case for this.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagos View Post
    Hello, Gamedog.

The way we represent characters and their thumbnails are a bit problematic: We couldn't generate new thumbnails for them and we can't pre-calculate their widths the way we can with other content, so they're always represented in squares. The smaller icons are the historical ones from before the change over. Newer characters will benefit from the larger thumbnails: You'll see that the newer ones are larger--but they're still constrained inside squares. Well, the good news is here at least people who prefer a grid will get a chance to see what they want and test it out. We do have a plan to bring characters more in line with the rest of our content but I can't provide a time estimate.

On the journal front, these are based on avatars, which are still small. We may need to look into a different layout there.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Thanks for the reply

I checked it out now and it looks a lot better, with people uploading/updating the larger icons.

Extension blocking clarification- it has limited use and is thus 'minor'.

This probably would be most used for flash, pdfs, but mainly just idiots who use .PNG for absolutely *everything*. 95% of images don't need it, it wastes 2-5x the bandwidth of a jpg and it's hell on a mobile/satellite data plan.

Weasyl
    Heuvadoches
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagos View Post
    A feature to disable custom thumbnails for visual submissions is currently in review.
    How about a feature to display the old thumbnail process?
    Main Repository at SoFurry

THE NEW THUMBS SUCK

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #155

Weasyl
    Hendikins
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuvadoches View Post
    How about a feature to display the old thumbnail process?
    The old square thumbnails are no longer being generated. We remain open to suggestions for refining and improving the thumbnail system, but the old thumbnails are not coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendikins View Post
    The old square thumbnails are no longer being generated. We remain open to suggestions for refining and improving the thumbnail system, but the old thumbnails are not coming back.
    Please bring at least an option for the old thumbnails. The new ones are FAR too big. When you only get three pics per row in a space that used to hold 8-10, that is kinda overkill. It was nice to be able to glance through a gallery quickly and easily.

Quote Originally Posted by anubis_werewolf View Post
    When you only get three pics per row in a space that used to hold 8-10, that is kinda overkill. It was nice to be able to glance through a gallery quickly and easily.
    Agreed on this point.

Weasyl
    Ois
    As someone else who posted a stylish solution for arranging to a grid (implemented different to Storm's), I'm curious on the size issue people are mentioning. What resolution are people running at? It would help us find a target to give you a workaround.

Weasyl
    Bornes
    I'm running on a 15" monitor at 1366x768. While I would still prefer a grid layout (current thumbnails, but grid), more padding between the thumbnails might be a compromise.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the current layout is nice, and I DO like having the whole picture as the thumbnail. But as far as browsing goes, it looks a lot more cramped right now.
    This is my front page - actual size. http://i.imgur.com/rW2ixr5.png (NSFW)

Maybe just make smaller thumbnails?

edit: Also before anyone asks, I'm on win7, I just like the classic theme.
    edit2: I realized only after I uploaded this that there was an adult submission on the page. Sorry.
    Last edited by Bornes; 07-09-2015 at 05:01 AM.

I run at 1600×900 on a 19 or 20 inch monitor (I forget which, exactly). In regards to userstyles, the current one I'm using presents a unique problem brought about specifically by the way Weasyl handles thumbnails now.

Because Weasyl no longer uses square thumbnails, it has an uneven number of submissions on the frontpage at any given time. While I have room for nine separate submissions in the frontpage's "Recently Popular" section, only five show up—specifically because the original thumbnail size (three of the images I see are landscape-size) combined with Weasyl's fluid layout provides room for only those five on that particular row. When I called the userstyle a "cosmetic fix", that's what I meant: No custom CSS can change how Weasyl's underlying system works.