Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 214

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pushing Boundaries

  1. #171
    Senior Swanda's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Swanda
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    157
    Okay so I've had some time to adjust to the new layout and wanna throw in my thoughts on it :3

    First of; thank you So much for Finally getting something done about those old thumbs!
    They were outright criminal, and I am so happy to hear you're not going back to that, not even as an option.

    That said:
    • The new thumbnails do seem a tad too big. They gets kinda overwhelming, dubble so in combination with the fluid layout. I quite honestly think they should be scaled down ASAP, and then you can discuss if you want to make size options later. Do not wait 2 years+ to fix this.
    • The coloured rating markers are quite hard to see now.
    • The creator/title under the images are a bit of an eyesore now. Especially short titles + wide picture makes it very unintuitive to have them left aligned. It really, really annoy the hell out of me for some reason.
    • “More in Folder” arrows under submissions is not a bad idea, but the previews are. They are quite distracting and there is SO MUCH blank space around them?. Noxis addon arrows were super neat and un-intrusive, something like that would be golden <3
    • I don’t personally need the grid layout if you just cut the thumb size a tad, but I know a lot of people who would prefer it. So maybe an option to pick one or the other should be added in the future. It is however not as deadly needed as some make it out to be. Sadly you can’t please everyone, and not all sites have the funds DA have to push updates with.

  2. #172
    Regular Bornes's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Bornes
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    92
    All of what Swanda said.

  3. #173
    Regular KajTaotsu's Avatar
    Weasyl
    KajTaotsu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanda View Post
    [*]“More in Folder” arrows under submissions is not a bad idea, but the previews are. They are quite distracting and there is SO MUCH blank space around them?. Noxis addon arrows were super neat and un-intrusive, something like that would be golden <3
    I kinda like the mini previews, especially when it comes to comics that artists are posting, it lets you get a relative feel of where you are in the storyline, but I get what you mean with the empty space around em.
    Even after the darkest nights, morning always comes.

    Hungry? Check out my gallery for recipes!

  4. #174
    I can see that people that at least want the option for the old thumbnails are not going to get a voice in this.
    Sure, we can still view older submissions in the old layout but if no new thumbnails will be made in that style, what is the point of having it? It would just give us a split gallery which in turn looks sloppy. If both systems are made, how hard would it have really been to have both as a fully working option? At least give us the respect of that if you are offering the option in the first place.

  5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #175
    feline fine Noxid's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    CANADURR
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by anubis_werewolf View Post
    I can see that people that at least want the option for the old thumbnails are not going to get a voice in this.
    Sure, we can still view older submissions in the old layout but if no new thumbnails will be made in that style, what is the point of having it? It would just give us a split gallery which in turn looks sloppy. If both systems are made, how hard would it have really been to have both as a fully working option? At least give us the respect of that if you are offering the option in the first place.
    The problem with that is, going forward you've now got two different codepaths for the same thing and if there's a feature change in the future that affects thumbnails in some capacity then it's gotta be written twice, tested twice, and designed to work around people having two fairly different layouts. Not to mention the confusion for artists trying to manage their galleries (do they have to upload two different thumbnails? how can they know what anyone who looks at their page is going to see?).
    It's one thing to have a stylish plugin that moves them around to be laid out in a grid rather than fluidly for people who want that, but to support two different thumbnail configurations is probably a bad idea.

  6. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    The problem with that is, going forward you've now got two different codepaths for the same thing and if there's a feature change in the future that affects thumbnails in some capacity then it's gotta be written twice, tested twice, and designed to work around people having two fairly different layouts. Not to mention the confusion for artists trying to manage their galleries (do they have to upload two different thumbnails? how can they know what anyone who looks at their page is going to see?).
    It's one thing to have a stylish plugin that moves them around to be laid out in a grid rather than fluidly for people who want that, but to support two different thumbnail configurations is probably a bad idea.
    So pretty much, use the new layout or lump it?
    And the Stylish plug in does nothing. I installed it and it changed nothing

  7. #177
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    The problem with that is, going forward you've now got two different codepaths for the same thing and if there's a feature change in the future that affects thumbnails in some capacity then it's gotta be written twice, tested twice, and designed to work around people having two fairly different layouts. Not to mention the confusion for artists trying to manage their galleries (do they have to upload two different thumbnails? how can they know what anyone who looks at their page is going to see?).
    It's one thing to have a stylish plugin that moves them around to be laid out in a grid rather than fluidly for people who want that, but to support two different thumbnail configurations is probably a bad idea.
    DeviantArt manages to have options for grid and fluid layouts on browsing pages without requiring multiple thumbnails for the same submission (and without confusing users). I don't see why Weasyl can't do the same.

  8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #178
    feline fine Noxid's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    CANADURR
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage Freehaven View Post
    DeviantArt manages to have options for grid and fluid layouts on browsing pages without requiring multiple thumbnails for the same submission (and without confusing users). I don't see why Weasyl can't do the same.
    Deviantart just uses the same thumbnails for both, as illustrated by this comparison I've taken [fluid] [grid]
    This is if I'm to understand essentially what the stylish thing /would/ do although I don't know if it works or not because I haven't had a chance to try it myself. Maybe it could be an option in future but don't quote me on that I'm just talking out my ass.

    also slightly tangential but deviantart can be a bit more ambitious with these things because they have a full-time staff of 30+ devs and QA, whereas weasyl is just volunteers.

  9. #179
    Theoretically, yes, the userstyle would simply “grid align” the thumbnails and everything would be great. The problem lies in how Weasyl handles thumbnails now: Rather than showing a set number of thumbnails in a fluid layout (as DA does), Weasyl instead tries to fill a set number of rows with thumbnails in a fluid layout. This results in the fluid layout of the Weasyl frontpage looking "full"—no empty space on a given row—but also results in the userstyle-crafted grid layout sometimes having lots of dead space when the number of thumbnails on a given row take up less space than the row itself. The userstyle provides a “cosmetic” fix to a problem that CSS alone can’t solve.

  10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #180
    feline fine Noxid's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Noxid
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    CANADURR
    Posts
    475
    Well, I'd really have to take a look at it myself later and see what it does. I don't really know enough about the new thumbs right now to say what can and can't be done to line them up as they are.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •