Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Voting in the US

Weasyl
    N/A

Voting in the US

Your vote for president doesn’t mean a damn thing. Zero. Zilch. We are a representative democracy. That means the electoral college decides the president. That is the House (representing the people) and the Senate (representing the states).

That means that you going to the poll every two years is even more important than you might think.

Seriously. Who you vote to represent you is paramount. They not only decide who will execute the laws they write, but they also decide the environment that you live in locally. By voting for representatives who will choose Bernie Sanders you are increasing the influence of that ideology and thought.

Don’t vote for “safe bets”. By hedging your vote you are shooting yourself in both feet and kneecaps. You are damning the country, the state and your local district all because you don’t want to “waste” your vote. The only truly wasted vote is the one whose vote doesn’t represent the voter.

And if that’s not enough to convince, consider that the people whose power is to vote for president are constantly going unchallenged.

The fact that they don’t represent you isn’t the anyone’s fault but yours for not voicing your constitutional right to voice your opinion.

I made this because I have a martyr complex.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    So, out of curiosity, who are the presidential candidates the Americans get to vote for?

And what is your opinion about each of them?

Weasyl
    Butterflygoddess
    I'm thinking of voting for Bernie actually. :3

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduard View Post
    So, out of curiosity, who are the presidential candidates the Americans get to vote for?
    None technically.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard View Post
    And what is your opinion about each of them?
    Bernie Sanders 4 Lyfe
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics

Weasyl
    N/A
    See my problem is the party system and how it's structured. I'm an Independent so i cant, in my state, vote in some elections. I really hope Bernie gets the Democratic vote because for the love of God we need a guy like him.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    The members of Congress don't actually make up the Electoral College themselves, states are just apportioned one Elector per Senator and Congressman. You are still right though that it's critically important that people who will support Bernie Sanders are elected. He actually made a campaign stop in my town this morning and said it himself at the end of his speech today:

"I'm not just telling you to support my candidacy for President today. I am telling you to do that, but I'm also telling you that if you want these changes, you must also fight to elect members of Congress who will support them. Because, and I'm probably the only candidate who will tell you this, but if I became President tomorrow there is very little I could do right now to fix this country. Wall Street has too much influence over Congress for the President to make much difference alone. It will take the support of a grassroots movement of millions and millions of people."
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by piñardilla View Post
    The members of Congress don't actually make up the Electoral College themselves, states are just apportioned one Elector per Senator and Congressman.
    Huh my bad. The 14th Amendment even states “no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector." So the number of Representatives and Senators matter only in the sense that it's the number of electors a state has to use. It generally seems to fall under the onus of the party to select all the electors if their party wins on the ballot. Most states even have laws punishing faithless electors (an elector who doesn't vote or votes for someone else).

I actually now see the real problem with the EC in it's "winner takes all" paradigm. Only Nebraska and Maine operate the EC in what I would consider a logical way: the state winner gets the two state reps and the rest are determined individually by congressional district. All the other states however would be "first past the post". So even if the state is divided on a candidate, that candidate will get all the electors.

The founding fathers dun fucked up on that one. :x Though I guess in principle is does allow for great autonomy to the state by allowing it to decide how it deals with its given electors.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I think it's bs how because of the states handle their elections it can literally make or break. Inconsistency drives me up the wall
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    What gets me is that the voting days and locations are never made easy. We dont have a celebratory Voting Day or big festivities surrounding it.

Why?

The last thing people in charge want are the wrong people being able to easily vote.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSavage View Post
    What gets me is that the voting days and locations are never made easy. We dont have a celebratory Voting Day or big festivities surrounding it.

Why?

The last thing people in charge want are the wrong people being able to easily vote.
    http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/bernie-sa...tional-holiday

Bernie's all about election reform, from finance to disenfranchisment, especially knowing that the lack of reform is what keeps people like him from being more than a long shot.
    Last edited by piñardilla; 07-03-2015 at 07:15 AM.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.