Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Agitoho
    If I had some potatoes, I'd made some french fries to make use of ALL OF THAT SALT!

=3
    No matter what happens, I will have always produced more visible work on my solo project than Ken Penders has on his in the last five years.

I write and draw a manga. It's like a backwards comic. Give it shot, bro.

"You can't just slap "& Knuckles" onto everything." & Knuckles

Weasyl
    N/A
    For once I'm proud of America. The states are going to bitch and moan about their rights infringed but the 14th amendment is pretty clear.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Gamedog

Weasyl
    kittywithaguitar
    Nuthin' Fancy

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I love roasting my smores over the anger of homophobes.

Weasyl
    Levi
    I have not finished reading the court opinion and the dissents, but from what I have read so far, this is one of the (many) court decisions I disagree with, not because of the end result, but because of how they got to their decision. Yes, I'm one of those who can be very particular about things being accomplished a certain way, and I'm the sort who would rather wait a couple years and get a few other things sorted out than issue what appears to me an incomplete solution.

As an insider into the world of conservative evangelicals (yes, I am one, for better or for worse), I've noticed something about the recent inflammatory rhetoric coming from them: it presents itself as the last struggle of a dying philosophy. They are, slowly but surely, losing the battle of the mind from within. The younger crowd is less willing to hang themselves on this point than the older, and even if they have a different definition of marriage as defined by their religious beliefs, there's a growing attitude of "Well, if that's what you want, I'm not going to stop you." Which, yes, is a degree less than the acceptance and embracing of what is to them an alien mindset than the more progressive crowd wants, but there is a growing tolerance.

The older crowd and bigger names are, of course, growing ever more shrill, but that's because they know they're losing. You'll probably notice a few more outbursts like what we've already seen from the big names already today, but they'll fade before long. I'd give it five years before most of them quiet down. The few that remain will be like the odd great-uncle who shows up at reunions and rants about things that no one else present really cares about, but they allow him to talk anyway because everyone knows his words are ridiculous.

I would have left the call up to the states, with one important difference: I would have required states to recognize all marriage licenses valid in all other states. Social pressure would, sooner or later, result in those less-than-willing states to legalize it eventually anyway. Yes, it would take a lot longer (years longer) than people want, but I am persuaded that too many people in their rush for immediate gratification forgot about a few very big problems that need to be resolved alongside the now-resolved marriage question.

The biggest problem I can think of that is still unresolved is that in several states it is legal to fire or refuse to hire someone based on their sexual orientation. This is wrong, but it is still the law of the land in many areas, and it remains the law of the land in these states even with this court decision. So what now? You could have a theoretical instance where two people of the same sex marry, one's employer finds out about it, and conjures up a reason for dismissal that has to do with not wanting "people like that" on the job. Repulsive, but still possible. Ideally, it would have been better to work on both of those (discrimination problems and marriage) at once.

Now I have no doubt that the discrimination problem will be resolved shortly, but we're going to have to put up with this fight even longer while that change works its way through the system. It will probably be resolved at the federal level within the next couple years depending on which ideology is popular in twelve months or so, but it really needs to be taken care of at the state level, now.

If they'd waited just a few more years and let public opinion and social pressures take their course, then we'd have solved both dilemmas without having to go to the highest court to do it. Yes, it would have taken a little while longer, but it would have been cleaner.

So for those who didn't want to read all the preceding text:
    Yes, making same-sex marriage legal throughout the states was the right conclusion.
    No, it wasn't brought about in the best way possible.

But, it is done, so we will see where it goes from here.
    Personal Blog | WagzTail Podcast
    Much thanks to Kalika for the avatar

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    In retrospec to Levi's post, it will bring up those issues to the masses which will surely get resolved over the time.

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    I kind of don't see how any method of bringing about gay marriage legalization is not the best way. But that's me.
    I hope that they implement more laws that end discrimination. :c
    I agree. Gay people have been discriminated against for far too long and they can finally marry in all 50 states; this is a win for equality, I think the means used to reach this end this are irrelevant. I wish this had happened in winter so we can use the homophobe's salt to clear the roads.

I wonder how the Westboro Baptist Church is coping with their loss; I hope they're saltier than they've ever been.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    In retrospec to Levi's post, it will bring up those issues to the masses which will surely get resolved over the time.
    A lot quicker too.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax