Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Oh neat, I've never actually see that before. Does it also allow dissent recording?
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    Oh neat, I've never actually see that before. Does it also allow dissent recording?
    No but that would be beneficial.
    The only downside to that is that I can see it becoming a way to bully other users and show ganging-up.

Weasyl
    N/A
    It's a compromise. Personally I'd allow for "I agree" or "I disagree" posts and enforce some sort of simple substance rule. That way you can harvest as many view points as possible, encourage discussion and still fulfill that need to thumbs up our down.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    I've never had someone tell me "I agree". I've had them tell me why they agree, and that they're glad they're not the only sane on here, and that they'd back me up but furries act like a bunch of raving lunatics the moment someone stops towing the party line and they don't want to get shit on or ruin friendships over stupid pointless bullshit.
    Your opinions are neither sane nor right. It's not "crazy furries". It's "sensible and open minded people" who recognize bigotry and callousness when they see it.

You know what I am? I'm a conservative. Through and through. But man, how crazy, I think people should have their right to exist and love who they want how they want should be protected by law. Yanno? What a wild concept.

Weasyl
    Butterflygoddess
    All we need is likes/this'es. Not thumbs down or dislikes. That shit is tacky.

And sidebar, if you are gonna take TA's word on something without making him back it up, you're gonna have a bad time.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    The issue with having the ability to "downvote" things is the reason why the downvote system on Reddit, for example, is so flawed.
    It doesn't allow discussion, and it is known for enabling people to gang up on others.

You see a post and someone debates it, someone replies and then gets two downvotes.. then three... then 7.. then 10, then 20 and then it just disappears due to being "below comment threshold". It censors posts that people disagree with by hiding them, and people who want to go around trolling will downvote comments that have one or two downvotes as-is just to bother the commenter.

I can tell you by experience that when arguing against the norm like I do on Reddit (mostly on dog forums), you're arguing with people who think they know about a topic but they really don't.
    For example, say someone says.... "feeding your dogs lemons is good", and someone comes along and says "feeding your dogs lemons is bad, this is why ____", the person you replied to will downvote your comment. Other people who don't take time to educate themselves will downvote yours as well.
    If your comment gets enough downvotes, people will assume that the person you were replying to was correct.

I'll try and find an example of this..
    Last edited by Gamedog; 06-27-2015 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSavage View Post
    Your opinions are neither sane nor right. It's not "crazy furries". It's "sensible and open minded people" who recognize bigotry and callousness when they see it.

You know what I am? I'm a conservative. Through and through. But man, how crazy, I think people should have their right to exist and love who they want how they want should be protected by law. Yanno? What a wild concept.
    Your right to exist isn't in question here. If someone kills a transsexual it's murder the same as if it was anyone else. What do you want us to do, make it DOUBLE-ILLEGAL! You can love whoever you want, especially after today, and I already said I have no qualms with that, so I'm not seeing the issue there either. I even said there should be anti-discrimination legislation for the purposes of consistency under the law, because it we're going to protect one group, we should protect *all* groups. I think you're just pissed at me because I don't accept your cock and bull story.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Gamedog

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Your right to exist isn't in question here. If someone kills a transsexual it's murder the same as if it was anyone else. What do you want us to do, make it DOUBLE-ILLEGAL! You can love whoever you want, especially after today, and I already said I have no qualms with that, so I'm not seeing the issue there either. I even said there should be anti-discrimination legislation for the purposes of consistency under the law, because it we're going to protect one group, we should protect *all* groups. I think you're just pissed at me because I don't accept your cock and bull story.
    I never said any of those things.
    And what crock and bull story was that exactly? I'm barely even on these forums.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Up/Down voting is Meh. It doesn't contribute anything worthwhile, especially in controversial or political threads. It will only encourage passive participation and appeals to popularity. Private messages are the way 2 go IMO. This way we won't get threads full of just- "This" and "I agree".

While we're on the topic, "I agree" with TA on 1 or 2 things, but I'm busy and not in the mood right now...