Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Upvote/Downvote System

Upvote/Downvote System

I don't know if someone already asked this, I tried searching the forums just to be sure and didn't find anything.
    I have to say that coming from FA to Weasyl I already like this site more. The interface is more intuitive and the user tags makes it easier to find stuff than on FA where people forget to tag things, and blacklists for things I don't like to see.

Well I have one more idea from being on sites like Reddit and Derpiboo.ru. If it'd be possible to have an upvote/downvote system and have a "sort by score" feature. Good art becomes easier to find with a rating system. It'd also help if the score can go into the negative. Having a negative score will discourage "shitposting" and hold people to a better standard in content creation.

Well that's just my idea. I'm sure it's been suggested but I figured I'd try. I think it'd be really helpful.

Weasyl
    Noxid
    I don't really think this is the right kind of system for weasyl?
    It's a site for artists to upload and share their content, and I don't think it needs to be turned into yet-another-competition over who can get the most updoots. If something is of low quality and doesn't meet Weasyl's Acceptable Upload Policy then you can report it and the staff will deal with it.

It's already hard enough as a non-mainstream (or non-fetish) artist to get recognition and having a system that encourages the homogenization of popular media feels like a step in the wrong direction to me. We already have a recently popular section on the front page anyway.
    as well, it's kind of a kick in the dick to downvote someone's artwork. Maybe they're young, maybe they're new, but telling someone "Your content is shit" isn't a great way to help them improve.
    Last edited by Noxid; 07-03-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    It's already hard enough as a non-mainstream (or non-fetish) artist to get recognition and having a system that encourages the homogenization of popular media feels like a step in the wrong direction to me. We already have a recently popular section on the front page anyway.
    as well, it's kind of a kick in the dick to downvote someone's artwork. Maybe they're young, maybe they're new, but telling someone "Your content is shit" isn't a great way to help them improve.
    Yes, I agree.

I mean, I do also agree that it would be lovely to easily locate the more serious artists and the classier art; but at the same time, I simply despise rating systems. It's really screwed up the way people interpret art. This concept that immediately, right when a piece is posted, it must be accessed and given a definitive score. Perhaps that has a place when it comes to reviewers trying to help another person make a decision on whether or not they should spend money on a game or a film, but not for just random pieces of independent art on the internet.

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    I think an upvote/downvote system probably isn't the best idea for this site. It seems like the same few pieces of art would be upvoted, while others are downvoted into obscurity.

What someone may consider bad enough to downvote may actually have been an artist's best effort. Like Noxid said, they could be a young or new artist, or maybe they're just trying out a new medium they aren't familiar with. I think it would be better to leave some constructive criticism on what the artist could improve on, or, if one really doesn't like a particular art piece, just move on and look at something else (unless it violates the AUP, as was mentioned by Noxid).

...And then I suppose there's the possibility of people going around and downvoting everything in sight for no good reason, but I'm not sure how legitimate a concern that is.

Okay well in that case what about an upvote only system or sorting by the highest number of favs?

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Serathinian View Post
    Okay well in that case what about an upvote only system or sorting by the highest number of favs?
    It's been suggested before, and the concern is that you end up with a feedback loop: by featuring art that has the highest number of upvotes, it gets more exposure than anything else and continues to get even more upvotes, effectively making sort-by-votes a static list.

The compromise we ultimately came up with is the "Recently Popular" section of the front page. It sorts by faves weighted against age, so that it showcases quality work but rotates it out over time to give others a chance to shine. I suggest you browse that section, find some pieces with an art style you like, and then look through their creators' galleries for more.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Like how DeviantnArt has had the same garbage on their Most Popular page since 1945.

I don't really mean on the front page. You can feature new art more but give people the option to see which ones have the most faves. Kinda like Nexusmods if you're familiar with them. A menu that says stuff like "Most Recent", "Most Popular", "Most Popular This Month", etc.

I think deviantART has a system like it and honestly ... it's boring. The same artists get featured over and over, new artists don't get much of a chance and what you end up with in the end is a very generic and same-ish frontpage.

I'd much rather see art-styles that may not necessarily be my favorites, but that add to the diversity, than to see the same thing over and over again. But that's just me.

Well okay then. Never mind, then.