Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: "SFW" Button?

1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #11
    Hi folks!

So to answer everyone's questions on a SFW button (or other quick-access ratings filter), we have in fact looked into having this feature. It turned out to be a complicated task to do, and is dependent on some other code changes that are also in the pipeline. I don't have an ETA for this, but it is on our roadmap.

Weasyl
    doornob
    I look forward to when it can be implemented : >

Quote Originally Posted by Ikani View Post
    dependent on some other code changes that are also in the pipeline
    How about some kind of prefix you put in the URL?

Just like sites have the "m.domain" for mobile access, could there maybe be a "s.weasyl" for safe surfing?
    Or maybe weasyl.com/sfw/blablabla, which is the same as weasyl.com/blablabla but with filtered content. I've seen modpanels that work like this, though I don't know how technically feasible it'd be.

Weasyl
    Premchaia
    I'd like this myself, though not for “work”-related purposes per se. The problem with leaving showing of higher-rated submissions persistently on for me is more that they're naturally distracting, especially if I ever wanted to show things to someone who's physically nearby. In my case, if I had to pick a single toggle, the most pleasing toggle would be Explicit/Moderate.

Using a global setting to solve a local problem is quite troublesome for notifications if they do in fact just vanish if my view rating isn't set high enough. That would actually be a nice way of dividing things: “session” versus “user” rating, with a session's rating constrained to not be higher than that of its user. (Plus an easy-to-reach toggle for the former.) On the user page those could be “default visible” and “maximum” ratings, perhaps. “wide-target” (front page, search, gallery) versus “narrow-target” (individual work, notifications) could be convenient at times, but is probably more complicated and ill-defined than it's worth.

I think the key thing I'd like is a "don't show me M/A by default, but let me view individual submissions with a warning" option.

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    I think the key thing I'd like is a "don't show me M/A by default, but let me view individual submissions with a warning" option.
    I don't know if DeviantART still has this, but I remember there being something like this on there. With the Mature filter on, submissions rated Mature would pop up with a warning, and a button that said "view this submission anyway" (or something to that effect). I agree that this would be a nice option to have.

Weasyl
    Vae
    PLEASE THOUGH.

Adding to this idea, being able to hover the thumbnail / main submission of the warned piece and seeing a small preview of what is under it would be nice, too.
    Just something you can see quickly, at a glance, to determine whether or not you want to actually click it.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Uluri
    I like this idea, too!
    I Always liked DA's warning for Mature content. It's nice to have because
    content I'm viewing is more manageable to my liking that way.

Weasyl
    Bornes
    I read that a SFW button or something like it is on the way to being implemented some time in the future, but I wanted to post to also say I'd like that button.. A lot.

The purpose of a SFW button (for me) is that it is a temporary change of your permanent settings. For me, most of the time I am cool with the adult art. But sometimes, you want to have a SFW option. Going through your settings every time to change this is redundant and time-consuming. Having a button is easier, because usually I am not in the SFW mode for long.

If the problem with implementing a SFW button is the difficulty, and the problem with using the existing settings is that it's inconvenient, how hard would it be to revise or reposition the rating controls so they're more convenient?