Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    N/A

Applying for Jobs: Be Truthful or Lie?

I've had this on my mind since earlier today and am a bit ticked that I can't seem to understand which would be the better option.. so I thought I'd get your guys view on this.

Should anyone risk lying to the company you could potentially work for just so they hear what they want to hear, or be respectfully truthful even if it means having a chance to backfire? To be clear, I don't mean lying on a resume or application, rather a little questionnaire that some companies do which claim have no "right or wrong" answer (though I'm sure it plays a role in hiring). I took one today after submitting in my resume since it's mandatory and the only way they'd consider accepting it. Honestly it's a neat idea, I'm all for them doing this especially if there's no incorrect answers.. however I can't shake the feeling that it'll determine whether I get a call back or not (given that I was quite truthful all the way through, I'm having my doubts now). To give an example, one of the questions went something like this:

"You're a new employee who happens to walk by a senior worker arguing with a customer, what do you do?"

It was multiple choice and only had 4 given answers, I knew which was probably the correct one but I answered what I'd personally do in that situation; continue on towards my work station and let someone else more capable handle it. I guess it's worth mentioning that I applied for overnight shifts so there'd be no customers, but that most likely won't save my butt.

Anyone else ever run into this, or do you think it's not all that important to stress over?

Weasyl
    Hewge
    DON'T STRESS, BECK. Honesty is the best policy!
    Even if lying can help get you what you want sometimes, if you know what I mean... wait.

Hakuna matata, Moogleh~

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    I don't think it is bad to stretch the truth on the questionnaires. They most likely are screening you for the job. Really though they are to weed out people who put "yes it is ok to steal from my employer" and such

If it also makes you feel better, I think allowing true senior person to handle it is the correct answer.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    I knew which was probably the correct one but I answered what I'd personally do in that situation
    And that in the end was the correct choice. Unless you know for a fact that it's the "correct answer" it's best to be honest and go with your gut feeling.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    For behavioral interview questions, go with the most responsible and ass-kissing answer possible, which in this case was probably politely getting involved and offering to escalate the root problem to the shift manager. Those questions only exist to weed you out, no sense in just letting them.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewge View Post
    DON'T STRESS, BECK. Honesty is the best policy!
    Even if lying can help get you what you want sometimes, if you know what I mean... wait.

Hakuna matata, Moogleh~
    Much encouragement, I needed this! -hugs- I do think honesty is the way to go (& sometimes I've found being truthful in the long run to actually benefit myself and others more), I just don't know if that'll be the case for this situation. I'm half tempted to go down to the place and beg for the position, 'course that'd most likely worsen my chances even more. Can't afford to screw this up. D;

-replays Hakuna Matata constantly- Thanks Hewgeh xD

Quote Originally Posted by Antumbra View Post
    I don't think it is bad to stretch the truth on the questionnaires. They most likely are screening you for the job. Really though they are to weed out people who put "yes it is ok to steal from my employer" and such

If it also makes you feel better, I think allowing true senior person to handle it is the correct answer.
    I really hope it's more for those types of people, but I doubt anyone would openly say they'd steal (along with other really terrible stuff) so it almost seems pointless. Unless they're super honest thieves, ofc!

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    And that in the end was the correct choice. Unless you know for a fact that it's the "correct answer" it's best to be honest and go with your gut feeling.
    The answer I thought was correct was to inform the supervisor (but every question had that one, so I thought it was more a trick for those who aren't independent than anything). I dislike confrontation, so the majority of my answers catered towards a more passive response so I can only hope they don't mind.

Really appreciate your thoughts guys! And am thankful a bit that you think I chose correctly, guess only time will tell if I get the spot. :3

@Pina That's what I was afraid of, and I really don't want to take that route incase they judge how I work and realize I'm not following through with what I answered. That actually was one of the answers too, though I didn't think it'd be correct. Oh man I'm so boned..

(gotta rush bk to dinner, so bad at multitaskin T_T)

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Honesty is the tool to getting hired.

Don't lie. Instead. Over exaggerate and advertise yourself if can which will likely happen in an interview part.

But in the multiple choice part, most of the choices are really correct, just some are "more correct" and you really will have to go with that tbh.

Is there any kind of "Get help for your senior" in the choices beside just walking away? Because picking the "butting in" isn't really something a new employee should be doing as it can backfire but getting someone to help your senior instead of just waiting for someone else would be the best answer around.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    The answer I thought was correct was to inform the supervisor (but every question had that one, so I thought it was more a trick for those who aren't independent than anything). I dislike confrontation, so the majority of my answers catered towards a more passive response so I can only hope they don't mind.

Really appreciate your thoughts guys! And am thankful a bit that you think I chose correctly, guess only time will tell if I get the spot. :3

@Pina That's what I was afraid of, and I really don't want to take that route incase they judge how I work and realize I'm not following through with what I answered. That actually was one of the answers too, though I didn't think it'd be correct. Oh man I'm so boned..
    There might be a few questions where the point is to see if you can do the basic tasks of your job without pestering management, but honestly "inform the supervisor" is going to be the correct answer a lot of the time, especially for anything involving conflict or co-worker misconduct.

Management really isn't going to remember your responses even a month after you're hired. They're there for screening purposes, nothing more. They do know what the expectations of the job are though, which is what the "correct" answers reflect, so that's the standard you'll be held to no matter what you answer. Honesty doesn't really score you any points, all they care about is that you do the job the way they want you to because they've determined that's how they make the most money.

I wouldn't necessarily say you're boned yet. My own experience with these was from my first job ever, which was at a Wal-Mart. I overthought a few questions on the application and gave some "wrong" answers. They later became interview questions as a result, the hiring manager literally went down a print-off of the questions and asked me to explain anything that wasn't "correct". I answered well enough to still get the job.

But... I assume this was an electronic application? The dirty little secret behind mandatory e-apps is that it's not about going paperless or green or any such thing. It's so the computer can pre-screen applicants for the hiring manager. When you click "Submit", the computer checks your application against its internal criteria, and if you don't meet its minimum standards then it just silently deletes it, never to be seen by an actual human. Honesty really doesn't pay off with those.

I say basically, if it can't be proven objectively false later (education, work history, etc.), kiss as much ass as possible (though at the same time, try not to sound like a kiss-ass in person). They don't really care about you beyond the job, and you don't owe them honesty or anything really beyond the perfunctory duties of the job should you be hired.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    What Pinar is saying is true. What you need to understand about corporate world is that it's all a song and dance you're expected to follow. Everyone knows that's not true, everyone knows that policy is bullshit, everyone knows this that and the other but at the end of the day you wear the mask just like everyone else.

Basically it's all a big joke and everyone's in on it.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    Honesty is the tool to getting hired.

Don't lie. Instead. Over exaggerate and advertise yourself if can which will likely happen in an interview part.

But in the multiple choice part, most of the choices are really correct, just some are "more correct" and you really will have to go with that tbh.

Is there any kind of "Get help for your senior" in the choices beside just walking away? Because picking the "butting in" isn't really something a new employee should be doing as it can backfire but getting someone to help your senior instead of just waiting for someone else would be the best answer around.
    I totally agree with ya Zeitz on exaggerating and being outgoing in the interview part (good first impression and all), although I'm not great at pulling such an act off so hopefully they won't judge me on my performance too much.

There was a 'get/inform your supervisor' choice in almost all the questions, and it looked to be the correct answer in numerous ones. I think out of the whole questionnaire I picked it only twice.

Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    There might be a few questions where the point is to see if you can do the basic tasks of your job without pestering management, but honestly "inform the supervisor" is going to be the correct answer a lot of the time, especially for anything involving conflict or co-worker misconduct.

Management really isn't going to remember your responses even a month after you're hired. They're there for screening purposes, nothing more. They do know what the expectations of the job are though, which is what the "correct" answers reflect, so that's the standard you'll be held to no matter what you answer. Honesty doesn't really score you any points, all they care about is that you do the job the way they want you to because they've determined that's how they make the most money.

I wouldn't necessarily say you're boned yet. My own experience with these was from my first job ever, which was at a Wal-Mart. I overthought a few questions on the application and gave some "wrong" answers. They later became interview questions as a result, the hiring manager literally went down a print-off of the questions and asked me to explain anything that wasn't "correct". I answered well enough to still get the job.

But... I assume this was an electronic application? The dirty little secret behind mandatory e-apps is that it's not about going paperless or green or any such thing. It's so the computer can pre-screen applicants for the hiring manager. When you click "Submit", the computer checks your application against its internal criteria, and if you don't meet its minimum standards then it just silently deletes it, never to be seen by an actual human. Honesty really doesn't pay off with those.

I say basically, if it can't be proven objectively false later (education, work history, etc.), kiss as much ass as possible (though at the same time, try not to sound like a kiss-ass in person). They don't really care about you beyond the job, and you don't owe them honesty or anything really beyond the perfunctory duties of the job should you be hired.
    Gosh.. thank you so much Pina for explaining all this and not beating around the bush. Figured I was a bit naive when it came to employment related stuff but not to this extent. I'm actually not too sure what to even say about how dirty a majority of these companies are if their mindsets are like this, and regarding the questionnaire (it was online).. that's just brutal. ;x

I'm keeping a bit of hope however after hearing about your experience with Walmart. That said though, as much as I'd love to wait for these guys to contact me back.. I guess it wouldn't be smart to bank everything on just this. But at least I know how they operate better now, and while I still don't fully agree on lying to them I'll be a bit more flexible with my answers if I run into anymore online applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    What Pinar is saying is true. What you need to understand about corporate world is that it's all a song and dance you're expected to follow. Everyone knows that's not true, everyone knows that policy is bullshit, everyone knows this that and the other but at the end of the day you wear the mask just like everyone else.

Basically it's all a big joke and everyone's in on it.
    It's sad to see it explained like this, although I'm wondering if it's different in other places of the world? Maybe the US works like that but Canada not so much, course that might just be wishful thinking.