reuploaded character image doesn't refresh

I've tried twice now and even cleared my site cookies to see what'd happen but no dice...? I'm not sure what else to do since I'd rather avoid deleting the whole thing and starting over.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    To clarify, you cleared your cookies, but did you also clear your cache? Try a "hard" refresh (ctrl+F5).
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Weasyl
    lagos
    Hello, Ganache. Thank you for the bug report.

Quote Originally Posted by ganache View Post
    I've tried twice now and even cleared my site cookies to see what'd happen but no dice...? I'm not sure what else to do since I'd rather avoid deleting the whole thing and starting over.
    I believe the issue here is that unlike thumbnails for submissions, thumbnails for a given character are always stored under the same URL. The result is that caching at different levels of the system (such as CDN) don't pick up changes as rapidly as they do thumbnails for submission content. I believe that it will resolve itself after some time, but that time is dependent on the caching policies, possibly on the order of an hour. Can you tell me if the new uploaded image appeared later?

We want to fix this, but the correct way to do so is probably a pretty deep overhaul of how characters are represented on the backend and I don't have a time estimate.

@Weasyl programmers: You might also look into using the Cloudflare API for clearing cached files that need to be updated: https://www.cloudflare.com/docs/next...dividual-files

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Weasyl
    lagos
    It's by no means a bad idea; we haven't looked into such things yet because it means pushing info in the opposite direction across abstraction barriers. The backend being agnostic to the fact that it's being access behind cloudflare is advantageous.

In this instance it's only an issue because an update to a character thumbnail, unlike a submission thumbnail, results in a new file being store at the same URL as an old one.

I forgot all about cache, whoops - but it's looking okay now without me having to clear it. /o/ For next time, am I getting it right that it just takes waiting it out a bit instead of expecting an instant change?

7.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7
    Weasyl
    lagos
    That's correct: It's an issue that's specific to the way character thumbnails are represented on the site. But waiting a little while will work.