Weasyl
    admirallupine

Fantasy Race Opinions

Heyas! I play some tabletop RPGs with friends fairly often and I wanted to make a unique race to play as since we allow it in our group. A long while back, I made Talix, originally a rocky golem type monster called a "knight." I made some slight changes to him as well as the race since then, and just recently made a character reference sheet. I wanted to see the opinions of others on the race or character if they wish.

Feel free to say anything about it, but keep in mind if you have suggestions regarding improvement on the drawing itself, it's most likely something I can't get to work on right away. I'm a self-taught artist since the beginning, and actually improving my ability to draw is a slow process. Trying to be taught to draw under the instruction of another never really works out for me unfortunately. I won't mind any suggestions however, I just may not be able to take them into consideration.

Without further ado, I have a version of Talix in my current art style, a reference sheet of Talix, and an example of another character of the knight race. Be sure to read their descriptions as well. These are in order of their completion:

Stylized Talix: https://www.weasyl.com/submission/93...ix-status-page
    Talix reference sheet: https://www.weasyl.com/character/49835/talix-ferro
    Another knight: https://www.weasyl.com/character/50621/k-sko-tempus

My next priority is to try and get a female knight completed... it's very difficult.

Anyway, if you have opinions and suggestions, I'm all ears.
    Last edited by Talix; 05-23-2015 at 12:58 PM.

as far as the linework and form go you already have a refined style so i doubt any1 can come up with any ways to improve that other than subjective preferences on their part. The only thing i could think of scouring for anything at all to say was that in a 3d sense the eye slots dont appear to be as well suited to showing the eyes from a profile angle as you made them.

As for the female knight here are some suggestions on sexual dimorphism.
    -the beak-like helmet might fit a slimmer knight better than the kind on your male ones.
    -you could have specific colors only show up on a specific gender. I was going to suggest warm colors on males cool colors on females, but the other guy has blue eyes and white hair so that might not work. you could go primary colors(red, blue, yellow) on males secondary(orange, green, purple) on females though. This could even add into sexual preference like they are naturally attracted to their complementary colors(red-green, yellow-purple, blue-orange).
    -you say it started out as a rocky golem but then it changed. if it changed enough hen you could make females made of more of a studded leather or quilted cloth than a full plate. if they are still metal skinned then scale mail or chainmail might be good in bits and pieces but a nightmare to draw a full body out of.
    -Gems might be pretty

Weasyl
    admirallupine
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaras13 View Post
    as far as the linework and form go you already have a refined style so i doubt any1 can come up with any ways to improve that other than subjective preferences on their part. The only thing i could think of scouring for anything at all to say was that in a 3d sense the eye slots dont appear to be as well suited to showing the eyes from a profile angle as you made them.

As for the female knight here are some suggestions on sexual dimorphism.
    -the beak-like helmet might fit a slimmer knight better than the kind on your male ones.
    -you could have specific colors only show up on a specific gender. I was going to suggest warm colors on males cool colors on females, but the other guy has blue eyes and white hair so that might not work. you could go primary colors(red, blue, yellow) on males secondary(orange, green, purple) on females though. This could even add into sexual preference like they are naturally attracted to their complementary colors(red-green, yellow-purple, blue-orange).
    -you say it started out as a rocky golem but then it changed. if it changed enough hen you could make females made of more of a studded leather or quilted cloth than a full plate. if they are still metal skinned then scale mail or chainmail might be good in bits and pieces but a nightmare to draw a full body out of.
    -Gems might be pretty
    Ah yes, the eyes from a profile is something I, without a doubt, need to fix because they logically wouldn't have peripheral vision unless I added slots on the sides of their heads and worked their eyes to support that. It sucks because I want them to have a normal field of view, but I gotta work my way around that by not being as "toony" in my style I suppose.

As for the gender specific colors, yes, this was something I was considering actually. I talked to a friend about it as well and we pretty much agreed that a physical difference, such as the females being slimmer or having an obvious feminine body for example, may not work as well for this race.
    I also don't want every knight to have three slots for eyes, I want their heads to resemble other types of helmets as well, so that's something else I need to work on.
    I can try and make different armor types that their exoskeletons can resemble, but not sure if that'll work well.
    Lastly, gems could be pretty nice for females. I personally don't think it would make a whole lot of sense, but hey, this is a fantasy race and I'd still be okay with it.

Thanks for your input, I deeply appreciate it!

Weasyl
    admirallupine
    Oh man, thanks! I think I might be able to do something and make their faces more varied after looking at those examples. I'll see what I can do.