Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Weasyl
    MalevolentMask
    Quote Originally Posted by Viciviser View Post
    Obviously, don't push critique on people. The only time I've ever been bothered by it is when I put out some conceptual or quick sketch stuff and people tell me to fix things on it. I'm not going back to it. There's nothing to fix. I'm going to make more art based on the idea in it and anything I need to fix I'll do so in the newer art.
    I think this is the only problem I have with CC sometimes. There are cases where I honestly am so done with a work that I just don't want to go back and change it. I'd rather move on and in cases like these I take CC into consideration for future works.

I guess the ones i've also had an issue with are more aesthetic CC, ones where they prefer I draw stars a different way or something rather than furthering what I already have. If you're telling me to change my vision then it won't really be my work anymore or it'll lose its purpose. :0

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Quote Originally Posted by Agitoho View Post
    You need premium membership to use the critique feature on dA? That really is ridiculous. A natural part of an art site is critiquing! Why would you put a pay wall in front of that? (I mean, I know why, but WHY?).

Anyway, reading over the few comments here, it seems to be that a lot of people just don't like to critique strangers (which, as I said earlier, is understandable when you think too hard about it) or the level of the piece is too high (so no advice seems worthy) or too low (and we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings). I've already given my opinions on all that in my previous post.

I don't have a problem with critiquing strangers, but that's probably because that's part of the process of being in a college art class. People were also around the same level as far as experience went, so no one came off as worse or better than anyone else skill-wise. Who knew a couple of years in college could change your outlook on something like this, ha ha.
    That is one of the smaller reasons why I don't like deviantART and stopped using it for art a while ago. As an art site, someone shouldn't have to shell out money just to be able to give a proper critique.

I can understand why people don't want to critique strangers. I like critiquing lower-level people to help them get better, but I don't tear them to pieces and be really harsh with them unless they're the types of people who are dicks about getting any kind of critique. I can see why artists would challenge or outright ignore people that are giving destructive criticism(I usually challenge it unless I know it's trollb8), but if they are acting like a dick when given constructive criticism, then I'll treat it as if they're on the show Shark Tank and tear their work to pieces; not cool to act like a dick when people are just being honest and it would be stupid for them to assume that someone isn't going to be a bigger ass right back at them.

I wouldn't be comfortable critiquing people around my skill level because I wouldn't have much to say. I might have one or two suggestions about what to do in the background, or how something could be different to capture the mood a bit more, but I wouldn't be able to point things out about the fundamentals like anatomy and shading.
    Last edited by GlaringFeline; 05-26-2015 at 03:34 PM.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Weasyl
    Karla-Chan
    Quote Originally Posted by Agitoho View Post
    You need premium membership to use the critique feature on dA? That really is ridiculous. A natural part of an art site is critiquing! Why would you put a pay wall in front of that? (I mean, I know why, but WHY?).

Anyway, reading over the few comments here, it seems to be that a lot of people just don't like to critique strangers (which, as I said earlier, is understandable when you think too hard about it) or the level of the piece is too high (so no advice seems worthy) or too low (and we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings). I've already given my opinions on all that in my previous post.

I don't have a problem with critiquing strangers, but that's probably because that's part of the process of being in a college art class. People were also around the same level as far as experience went, so no one came off as worse or better than anyone else skill-wise. Who knew a couple of years in college could change your outlook on something like this, ha ha.
    Yeah I can confirm that at some point dA decided that only premium members could request critique... When this first came in, you also needed to be a premium member to give someone a critique too. Which I fully agree, for an art site to do something like that seems really stupid. I have been on dA for like 9 years, so honestly I have seen it go really down hill over that time.

Like when I first joined, I used to get some amazing critiques and I personally think it really helped me grow. I think I have slowed down because I just don't get it any more. Which is a shame that people have stopped, I do honestly think we should help each other more. Since well I have the opinion that we all have different strengths and weaknesses. So they are of value. Plus a valid point is a valid point regardless.

I haven't got any critique on here yet, however I have not been here long. Although I have given critique but found that people have not responded to me at all when I have done this?? So like you I also don't have a problem with doing it to strangers, since when I first started to enter the art community it was something that seemed to happen a lot more. It seemed normal for me to do so where I could. If I could give critique to someone, I wanted to because I felt like it was giving back since so many people helped me in the past.

However I don't on dA any more, because it is not worth the drama. Since they call it "unsolicited critique" and go on about how evil you are. Which honestly, I think as long as what you say is constructive. I do not understand why it is starting to seem like an issue within the art community.

dA critiques are a joke, though.
    You star-rate some abstract concepts (which most people don't even get what they are referring to) and proceed to jargon-praise the artwork in a minimum of 500 words. Give a minor comment on something that you think should be improved, and that's it.

That thing is more about feeling like an intellectual "art curator" than giving actual feedback for improvement.

I face the Critique feature in Weasyl more positively. It feels to me as just as a disclaimer to passersby: Hey, I'm okay with critiques, say whatever you want, not only positive things!

So far I've received one single critique out of this, but I think the problem is with people feeling awkward about giving critiques, not the feature itself.

Weasyl
    Karla-Chan
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayPossum View Post
    dA critiques are a joke, though.
    You star-rate some abstract concepts (which most people don't even get what they are referring to) and proceed to jargon-praise the artwork in a minimum of 500 words. Give a minor comment on something that you think should be improved, and that's it.

That thing is more about feeling like an intellectual "art curator" than giving actual feedback for improvement.

I face the Critique feature in Weasyl more positively. It feels to me as just as a disclaimer to passersby: Hey, I'm okay with critiques, say whatever you want, not only positive things!

So far I've received one single critique out of this, but I think the problem is with people feeling awkward about giving critiques, not the feature itself.
    I do agree the current dA system is a joke, however they didn't have a system like that when I first joined. It was one of the "nice add on's" that the totally "worked really hard on"... I could rant about that...

I agree, the stars don't work because not every one applies to each piece, and people can reject them if they are not super nice and have 5 stars in everything. I hate it, and it is useless which probably why people don't use it that often. I know when it first came in, you had to be a premium member to use it and people would go I can't critique it I don't have a membership, and I had to actively explain just write it in the comment section. So overall it is frustrating as hell.

You don't needs some add on to leave a critique in the comments section. Although it is stupid you can only let people know you want one by flagging it, which makes the feature that is useless usable. Before that if you just flagged it and it just let you know that it was requested a bit like how it works here. In fact the reason I like this place so much, I feel it works a lot like dA did in it's Golden age. However yeah, I would love to get critique on my art because when I did used to get it on dA it was amazingly help and really pushed me forward as an artist.

Like I do agree that more then a sentence should be needed for a critique since if you are explaining something. So I also agree with you that the word count is stupid as well.

As a whole though positive critiques can be helpful as well, like if you have been following an artist and you both know there is a weaker area they have been working on. Then you see a improvement, it is well worth telling that artist that they are going in the right direction because it can relieve some of the frustration and let them know they are actually getting something. Even if it is just a few steps in the right direction.

However more people need to understand that everyone has weaker area's and things they could improve on. The weaker area's don't take away from the good you have done, and every improvement you make is a victory. So someone pointing out flaws within a piece is not a bad thing. It can give you something to work on or work with.