Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    jedthedragon

Any Players of Trading Card Games?

I myself am very much into Magic: the Gathering, and I have been for 4 years, as I think it provides players with very little limits as to what sorts of spells you would like to have in your mental repertoire. But I'd like to see what other games you think are cool.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    I used to be huge into Magic when I was younger. I gave away all my cards to a friend when I moved, except for my rare binder and a couple decks, one of which I still play with when I happen to meet other players. Sadly it can't really compete with the power climb since the cards in it were printed, but it still manages to win sometimes.

Decklist:
    Code:
    Spells               Creatures               Mana
    3 Duress             4 Carnophage            14 Swamp
    4 Unearth            4 Sarcomancy            4 Dark Ritual
    4 Ghastly Demise     4 Dauthi Horror         1 Lake of the Dead
    4 Diabolic Edict     4 Hypnotic Specter
    4 Bad Moon           4 Phyrexian Negator
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    I also picked up Solforge lately, a digital F2P CCG. It's less random and crappy than Hearthstone, but they really need to give low-rarity formats an official queue or something. Haven't really had time to play it much lately beyond collecting dailies though.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    i still have ALOT of my old pokemon cards. and i had some yu-gi-oh cards around here some where.
    it takes a real man to call sin out by its real name
    -anonomus

אב, סלח להם; כי הם לא יודעים מה הם עושים
    -ישועה

profile pic by uncle-noob on teen furs.

Weasyl
    jedthedragon
    Quick! Somebody make a furry-themed deck from any card game!
    I'm ready for roleplaying anytime! Just send me a PM in the main Weasyl site!

My profile pic was brought to me by Pandactyle on Weasyl!

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Back in the day, I always ran squirrel decks in M:tG for obvious reasons.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by feraldraco View Post
    Quick! Somebody make a furry-themed deck from any card game!
    i actually was building a beast/beast warrior deck when I still had my YuGiOh cards...
    I still wanna do that.
    I just need more YuGiOh cards
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Lang
    I played pokemon cards and I would still play them if anyone around here did, but everyone only plays magic. Even yugioh is dying out. I still have my pokemon cards. I just can't find the heart to sell them.

Weasyl
    Dreamline
    Hell yeah! I played Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic The Gathering a lot as a kid, along with my dad and my brother! When we moved out of California and into Colorado, my dad ended up starting a card shop there cause we were so into them. Got to do weekly tournaments for both of them, and overall, it was really cool and fun! (Then we tried expanding it and it didn't work thanks to money-issues, but that's another story)

I still play Yu-Gi-Oh via YGOPro, but very rarely nowadays (I run Different Dimension decks on there, so that's fun!), and I have a MTG deck I have that's a lot of fun! (One deck is Blue/White/Red, focusing on counters, drawing cards/decking out, and stalling thanks to some smexy Platinum Angel and Platinum Emperion. Another deck I have is a Sliver deck with... slivers. Lots of slivers.)
    "There are times when all the world's asleep,
    The questions run too deep
    For such a simple man.
    Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
    I know it sounds absurd
    But please tell me who I am."

Supertramp - The Logical Song

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    Quote Originally Posted by Lang View Post
    I played pokemon cards and I would still play them if anyone around here did, but everyone only plays magic. Even yugioh is dying out. I still have my pokemon cards. I just can't find the heart to sell them.
    I used to collect Pokemon cards, but never had any idea how to play. I just liked being able to collect them all, hehe. I also still have my collection. Someday I hope to actually finish collecting at least one of each of the the original 151 Pokemon... Right now I've got about 8 left, last I checked. I also want a Bisharp and a Mienshao card, since those are currently my favorite Pokemon.

I also used to play Yu-Gi-Oh, but was never all that good at it. Eventually I just started collecting cards with art I liked (I'm seeing a pattern, here...). I still have all those cards, as well.

A lot of people still play Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic: The Gathering at my school. I see people playing outside the Student Life Center at least once a week when I pass by. I think that most of the time they're playing Yu-Gi-Oh, not so much Magic.

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Oh, I remember picking up the Pokémon CCG when it was first released, since I was short on Magic players. Back then, there wasn't a restriction on how many Trainer cards you could play in a turn, which was absolutely ridiculous considering how many of them were analogs of Magic cards that ended up on the Banned/Restricted lists for providing ridiculous card advantage.

Bill was a weaker Ancesteral Recall, Professor Oak was a one-sided Wheel of Fortune, Computer Search was Demonic Tutor with a discard cost (trivial with all the other card-drawing), Item Finder was similar but let you Tutor your discard pile for any of these ridiculous Trainers you'd already played, and Blastoise's Pokémon Power was essentially Fastbond. It was literally possible to draw your entire deck on turn 1, and have a fully-charged Blastoise on turn 2 (thanks to Pokémon Breeder letting you skip evolving to Wartortle), which, since I recognized all this, is exactly what I did.

Even more ridiculous, not all of those were even rares. Bill was a damn common, and since it provided deck-thinning with no downsides, there was never any reason not to run four of them. Professor Oak at least was an uncommon, but that's still not hard to come by for the ability to get a free hand of seven fresh cards. Oh, and icing on the cake, none of the Pokémon in Base Set 1 had Water-type resistance, and all the Electric-types couldn't hit for more than 10 with just one energy.

I got bored with it because most of my opponents were younger than me and stomping kids got old after a while, even with more casual deck builds. I wonder if these cards held their value the way first-gen Magic cards did? I still have that ridiculous deck.
    Last edited by piņardilla; 05-27-2015 at 03:17 PM.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.