Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Under appreciated Films

Weasyl
    TheStory

Under appreciated Films

This is pretty straight forward. Lets share good films we can watch. However theses shouldn't be just any good films. I want everyone to list movies that either didn't do well, or not enough people know about them.
    They don't have to be super obscure and they didn't have to have bombed in the box office either. These should be films that you personally think could still do better and receive more appreciation.

Here is my list for the day.

1. The Iron Giant- I think this has slowly been recognized as a better film over the years but I remember being younger and this gem getting glanced over by fellow kids my age. It just wasn't very popular at the time. This film was directed by Brad Bird one of my favorite directors. Someone closely tied with Pixar and directed both The Incredibles and Ratatouille.

2. Pan'd Labyrinth- Sadly this is overlooked because people don't like reading subtitles. This is one of the few movies that has a young girl as our protagonist and she isn't written terribly. It is unique, fantastical, and beautiful with a historical spin. Check it out if you are a real film appreciator. It is a must see.

3. Stranger than Fiction- Though not a film I would hail as a masterpiece like those above I do believe it is under appreciated. It has a quirky charm and a main character that you can follow happily. I can't put my finger on it but this is a film I keep popping in the player again and again. It may be the mellow tone or the unusual premise. All that matters is that it should be enjoyed.

Now what are films you think are under appreciated?

Weasyl
    oly
    Death Proof. I fucking love that movie.

Agreed on Stranger Than Fiction.

And I also don't see a lot of love for I Heart Huckabees around.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I have a massive hearton for stranger than fiction. The way it was done was wonderful. it all fit together so well. it made my inner english major squeal. I don't normally like Will Ferrel movies. I find his random "I"M YELLING" style to be a bit off putting, but goodness was it well played in that movie.

Skeleton Key was a good one. It is the only movie on the face of this earth to actually scare me. I'm not afraid of voodoo or hootoo, I'm not really bothered by that stuff in general, but something about that movie, the way it was told, the way it didn't really on cheap surprise tactics. It runs a little dry at the beginning but when you get to the end it's just...wow.

Weasyl
    Matt
    I feel I'm going to expose something untoward here but:

Clerks
    Donnie Darko
    High Fidelity
    The Wrestler

I love these movies. I think they're under-appreciated, but fuck if I know who appreciates what. I just know that people with whom I'm able to converse on any of these films are people I tend to continue to converse with. I consider that a good sign.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I think Donnie Darko was overhyped for me. Not to say it isn't an excellent movie, but too many people treated it like the messiah of films and I just sat there like "yeah...that was neat..."
    I dunno maybe I should see it again.

Weasyl
    aetius
    There needs to be alot more love for 13 assassins.

Weasyl
    TheStory
    Nice to know there is love for Stranger than Fiction. Also I believe Will Ferrel does best in this film because he is playing a different character than normal and it is very fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I feel I'm going to expose something untoward here but:

Clerks
    Donnie Darko
    High Fidelity
    The Wrestler
    Interesting suggestions. I haven't watched most of these. I do own Donnie Darko however.

Weasyl
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    I think Donnie Darko was overhyped for me. Not to say it isn't an excellent movie, but too many people treated it like the messiah of films and I just sat there like "yeah...that was neat..."
    I dunno maybe I should see it again.
    That's legit. I probably would have been one of those people uiyutyguoi, except "yeah...that was neat..." was my exact reaction to Richard Kelly's next film. It lacked, and it sort of made me doubt that what I saw in Donnie Darko was real and not some manufactured affectation. I've since decided that Southland Tales doesnt exist, Donnie Darko does, and the thought process I've described here never happened. If Donnie Darko is underappreciated, its because what's surrounded drags it down by circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestory View Post
    Interesting suggestions. I haven't watched most of these. I do own Donnie Darko however.
    Watch it without expectation. It'd be pretty cool hearing your thoughts in the context of this thread.
    Last edited by Matt; 10-02-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That's legit. I probably would have been one of those people prophesying on the Jordan, except "yeah...that was neat..." was my exact reaction to Richard Kelly's next film. It lacked, and it sort of made me doubt that what I saw in Donnie Darko was real and not some manufactured affectation. I've since decided that Southland Tales doesnt exist, Donnie Darko does, and the thought process I've described here never happened. If Donnie Darko is underappreciated, its because what's surrounded drags it down by circumstance.

Watch it without expectation. It'd be pretty cool hearing your thoughts in the context of this thread.
    Honestly I think you must be willing to suspend some disbelief. I mean in the end it was hard for me to accept some of his choices, which really killed the movie for me because in the end he just wasn't that sympathetic for me. But that doesn't make it a bad movie. it is good for some people, I'm not going to decry it for others.

Here's two really underappreciated movies.
    Condor Man-it's an old super hero/spy movie and it is funny as hell. seriously. check it out if you can.

the other is Murder by death. It's a murder mystery making fun of the entire detective genre and it is hilarious. Watch it, just so you can see the actress that played McGonagall say unintended euphemisms about her "dicky"

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    The Convent.

Seriously, that movie is so terrible and so horribly low budget. It's so bad it makes it a must-watch, it's hilariously bad.