Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: art help

Weasyl
    N/A
    Art classes can go either way. Some people need a tutor of sorts to guide them. Plus art teachers and other students can help you learn different techniques. Of course, teachers are still subject to being bad at teaching so results may vary
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Butterflygoddess
    ;-; Those hands look painful.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    Her face is slightly unsettling to me... e-e; Her mouth looks especially weird, I think.
    (I've also noticed the fur on her wrists is facing the wrong direction, though that may be a stylistic choice? I dunno.)

I saw this book in a bookstore a while back and skimmed through it, I remember it as being pretty bad.
    I don't remember many specifics, though, other than some awful wolf facial expressions.

But this is another reason I don't like "How to Draw" books. Besides getting stuck with their style, you also may get stuck with their mistakes. :b

I should know, I had a bunch of "How to Draw Manga/Anime" books as a kid, and boy did they do more harm than good. X(

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra_Exe View Post
    I should know, I had a bunch of "How to Draw Manga/Anime" books as a kid, and boy did they do more harm than good. X(
    I was actually doing way better off than one of the HTD anime books I got back in highschool,
    but then I started following that advice (Because why not? Obviously this person is published and I'm not, right?),
    and my art suffered for a long time because of it.

Oops.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I was actually doing way better off than one of the HTD anime books I got back in highschool,
    but then I started following that advice (Because why not? Obviously this person is published and I'm not, right?),
    and my art suffered for a long time because of it.

Oops.
    Oh my gosh, this was exactly my reasoning. I used to think that if it was published, it had to be good and reliable. Boy, was I wrong.

I have seen some hilariously bad illustrations in HTD books. Here is one of my favorites. (How does stuff like this even get published?)

Yeah, my art was pretty lame for a long time after "learning" from those books (although thankfully I didn't have the one with the page linked above).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    For books I recommend Jack Hamm. I use two books of his very frequently: "How to Draw Animals" and "Drawing the Head and Figure". Very good for both beginning and more advanced artists.
    Just looked up the books you recommended and I think I'll be buying those. They look immensely helpful!

Also, OP, take it from someone who made the mistake of learning how to draw from Christopher Hart-books at first: don't do it. The books may seem flashy and helpful at first, but they'll only cripple you in the long run because you'll be picking up bad habits that are a pain to unlearn.

On the other hand, the anatomy-books may seem daunting and (let's face it) a little boring, BUT: they help you nail the foundations of the human body like no other. And that, in the long run, will help you more than learning how to draw n someone else's style. Because what personal style really comes down to, is knowing how to draw something properly and then choosing certain parts to exaggerate / draw differently. And the only way to do that and make it look "plausible / believable" is to know the foundations before you start shaking them up.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #29

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Since we're on page 3 and no one has mentioned it yet, reminder that we have a pretty extensive stickied Art Resources thread.

As for art books, it's not furry, but Andrew Loomis's books are classic, indispensible, and scan PDFs are easily found with Google, due to an effort to preserve the books' original content (the Titan reprints are butchered and useless). Fun with a Pencil is a good starting point for a beginner, but for real anatomy study, Figure Drawing for All It's Worth is the gold standard.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    well my grandmother has a book of all most every sketch of animals before the 1900' i mean thats what she said but i think its only well know ones or somthing like that but either way its a nice book to practice off of but there arnt many versions of each animal though.....
    it takes a real man to call sin out by its real name
    -anonomus

אב, סלח להם; כי הם לא יודעים מה הם עושים
    -ישועה

profile pic by uncle-noob on teen furs.