Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Probably... but few people are particularly fond of gin, or other booze with medicinal/herbal flavors.

Frank, ever try Benedictine? It's not dry at all, but you might like it mixed with brandy.

edit: Or Chartreuse, that's a bit drier.
    People that aren't fond of gin don't exist. They're a myth, like "People Who Don't Like Frank Sinatra"

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Last edited by piņardilla; 05-04-2015 at 12:57 PM.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    People that aren't fond of gin don't exist. They're a myth, like "People Who Don't Like Frank Sinatra"
    I don't like either
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    For those who like gin, I'd encourage you try to FEW's American Gin. (And not just because I live within walking distance of their distillery.) They have a pretty modern take on gin--it essentially has a white whiskey base and downplays juniper relative to some of the other botanical flavors--but it's quite balanced and really well done.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    You'd think, but it seems like everyone I drink with always looks at me like I'm a bit mad whenever I order a gin drink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    I don't like either
    Don't lie to me you filthy rebels!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    For those who like gin, I'd encourage you try to FEW's American Gin. (And not just because I live within walking distance of their distillery.) They have a pretty modern take on gin--it essentially has a white whiskey base and downplays juniper relative to some of the other botanical flavors--but it's quite balanced and really well done.
    I'd still try it if I get the chance, although downplaying the juniper and botanicals makes me sad. I wouldn't buy a bottle to try it, but I'd try it if offered without a second thought.

How do you folks feel about Scotch?

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #26

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    I like smoky things, so scotch has been on my list of tastes to acquire. I'm finally getting into it, but I'm still a ways away from trying an Islay.

It's also not cheap. There's a few cases of Oban 14 I'm eyeing at Costco that don't seem to be moving, I'm hoping they get marked down for clearance soon.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I like smoky things, so scotch has been on my list of tastes to acquire. I'm finally getting into it, but I'm still a ways away from trying an Islay.

It's also not cheap. There's a few cases of Oban 14 I'm eyeing at Costco that don't seem to be moving, I'm hoping they get marked down for clearance soon.
    I've tried some extremely nice Scotch at a Burns Dinner before, and I've tried some less impressive Scotch and I must say while it's certainly something that you have to experience enough for your palette to appreciate it by no means implies that Scotch isn't an incredible taste experience all the same.

...We were very pleased the table next to us was absent of its attendees. The quality differences in Scotch can be astounding.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx

Oban is pretty good actually. My favorites generally come from distilleries in the Highland (like Oban) and Speyside.

I love Costco for supplying quality spirits at markdown, otherwise I'd never be able to afford a Scotch now and then.

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard

My favourite Vodka. Seconded by the Finnish Absolut.

Their commercials bring memories. I was at this reenactment event once where you had this dreadful weather: Whipping winds, storms and heavy rains and a very cold weather that swept over the hill we were on, in the middle of freaking nowhere.
    Only thing that kept me warm and cozy were some ţuica (traditional drink around here) and vodka.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    I'd still try it if I get the chance, although downplaying the juniper and botanicals makes me sad. I wouldn't buy a bottle to try it, but I'd try it if offered without a second thought.
    Oh, it's not that it downplays the botanicals, beyond using a flavorful spirit; it's just less juniper dominated than a traditional gin.

I think, more so than most spirits, that the separation between quality Scotch and poor Scotch is enormous. I've had some amazing single malts, only matched by the number of terrible mass market varieties I've tried along the way. Maybe I'm just desensitized to American whiskeys, but the gulf between good and bad with Scotch seems to absolutely dwarf that found in bourbons and ryes.