Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    Is it a crime to double-post if I do a recipe?

Anyway...

Beltane Punch Recipe

1 parts Lime Juice
    2 parts 100% Cherry Juice (chilled)
    3 parts Rum
    4 parts chilled water
    3 dashes Angostura Bitters

I started with 1 cup of lime juice and went from there. Make sure you add a big hunk of ice into the bowl. Drink responsibly, and enjoy Beltane everyone!
    Okay so this punch is pretty decent. The cherry makes it pretty tart so if that isn't to your taste perhaps substitute cherry juice for pear juice for something a bit mellower and sweeter. It's also fairly high on the boozy taste so keep that in mind. We're using Kraken rum for this, which is a spiced variety and really ups the flavor of the cherry and the bitters. White rum is a poor choice for this type of punch, as it doesn't have the warm "rounded" flavor of the spiced variety.

I have to drink this slow otherwise I'm going to have a wicked monstrous headache. Good thing I'm in for the night.

Weasyl
    Rukh Whitefang
    Craft beer drinker here. Craft brewing is huge here. Founders Breakfast Stout, Dirty Bastard, and Curmudgeon are my favorites. New Holland Brewery has a beer called Dragonsmilk, which is awesome. Its also 13% alcohol.

Liquor wise I love rum. Captain Morgan spice rum.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #13

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    I like rum, mostly. Mainly because it mixes well with almost anything like vodka does, but also actually has its own character, like everything that's not vodka. It also doesn't have as much macho BS-driven popularity amongst dudebros, so it tends to be much cheaper for the quality than other spirits, too. That's starting to change a little, but you can still get a top-shelf rum for the price of a completely pedestrian whiskey.

Over Spring Break this year I spent a day in Grand Cayman and toured a *very* small rum distillery there, actually the only one on the island, and it was excellent. There were also unlimited free samples on the tour, which I may or may not have taken advantage of a little too heavily, as it ended up with me doing a shot straight out of the still... >_>

Erm, anyways, if you see Seven Fathoms rum anywhere you should give it a try as it really is very good.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by piñardilla View Post
    I like rum, mostly. Mainly because it mixes well with almost anything like vodka does, but also actually has its own character, like everything that's not vodka. It also doesn't have as much macho BS-driven popularity amongst dudebros, so it tends to be much cheaper for the quality than other spirits, too. That's starting to change a little, but you can still get a top-shelf rum for the price of a completely pedestrian whiskey.

Over Spring Break this year I spent a day in Grand Cayman and toured a *very* small rum distillery there, actually the only one on the island, and it was excellent. There were also unlimited free samples on the tour, which I may or may not have taken advantage of a little too heavily, as it ended up with me doing a shot straight out of the still... >_>

Erm, anyways, if you see Seven Fathoms rum anywhere you should give it a try as it really is very good.
    I feel that is pretty much your avatar atm.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #15

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    I feel that is pretty much your avatar atm.
    not far off from the truth at all to be honest
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh Whitefang
    New Holland Brewery has a beer called Dragonsmilk, which is awesome.
    Seconding this recommendation. I bought some on a whim some time ago. Very good stout, albeit where I bought it it was a little pricey.

I don't remember what I said in the other thread about booze (maybe it would be fun for people to go back and compare, see how their tastes have changed), but I tend to enjoy a lot of different things. Big fan of dark beers (porters and stouts) and ales, though I can appreciate a good IPA. Pilsners almost always are too bland. Love a good dry wine (red, white, rosé... doesn't usually matter much); the sweet wines don't do as much for me (unless I'm in the mood for it). Dry vermouth is good, too (yes... I typically drink it on its own).
    For liquor, gin is great (juniper is such a nice aroma), but I'm also a fan of things like cognac, brandy, etc. (things aged in wood barrels). Vodka has always been a big miss... it just tastes like rubbing alcohol. Maybe I've just never had a good vodka. I need to try absinthe again; first time I had it was almost immediately after I started trying alcoholic beverages for the first time, and it came on incredibly strong. I might enjoy it more now that I've actually developed a palate.

I'll admit I haven't experimented too much with mixed drinks or cocktails. But if you can't guess from my list up there, dry or dirty martinis all the way (with gin, obviously... not vodka).

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #17

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    Seconding this recommendation. I bought some on a whim some time ago. Very good stout, albeit where I bought it it was a little pricey.

I don't remember what I said in the other thread about booze (maybe it would be fun for people to go back and compare, see how their tastes have changed), but I tend to enjoy a lot of different things. Big fan of dark beers (porters and stouts) and ales, though I can appreciate a good IPA. Pilsners almost always are too bland. Love a good dry wine (red, white, rosé... doesn't usually matter much); the sweet wines don't do as much for me (unless I'm in the mood for it). Dry vermouth is good, too (yes... I typically drink it on its own).
    For liquor, gin is great (juniper is such a nice aroma), but I'm also a fan of things like cognac, brandy, etc. (things aged in wood barrels). Vodka has always been a big miss... it just tastes like rubbing alcohol. Maybe I've just never had a good vodka. I need to try absinthe again; first time I had it was almost immediately after I started trying alcoholic beverages for the first time, and it came on incredibly strong. I might enjoy it more now that I've actually developed a palate.

I'll admit I haven't experimented too much with mixed drinks or cocktails. But if you can't guess from my list up there, dry or dirty martinis all the way (with gin, obviously... not vodka).
    We'd get on in a bar pretty well.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I think most people posting in this thread probably would.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #19

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    I think most people posting in this thread probably would.
    Probably... but few people are particularly fond of gin, or other booze with medicinal/herbal flavors.

Frank, ever try Benedictine? It's not dry at all, but you might like it mixed with brandy.

edit: Or Chartreuse, that's a bit drier.
    Last edited by piñardilla; 05-04-2015 at 06:04 AM.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Madjack's apple lager, chocomint malt liquor or a good ol' glass of my family's red wine. I'm not picky as long as it's not beer.