Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    N/A

Alcohol! Let's have a thread

I'm bamboozeled this wasn't already a thread. Let's talk about alcohol! Your favourite drinks, the reasons why (if you have them), and some recommendations if you're feeling cheeky.

My favourite drink is Smithwick's ale. It's ruby red and oh so refreshing! Sometimes I like to top it with a Guinness head to make a Black n' Tan. It reminds me of good times, and is something I can share with my father while watching the match. A close second is Bombardier (another ale, this time of the English variety). I was never crazy about spirits, but if I had to choose it'd be Morgan's Spiced or Grey Goose vodka.

Alcohol is quite literally serious business, and arguably the reason some dudes in the Middle East got together in one place long enough to invent civilisation. So no tales of 'I drank sooo much lawl', no one will be impressed. Responsible drinking is best drinking.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Capt Morgan pumpkin spice rum mixed with hot chocolate. Perfect for cold days.
    Jack Daniels honey whiskey. Mmmm
    Also my go to drink, Mudslides
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    I recall we actually did have a boozy thread but it was created a long time ago and is long since buried. I think it's high time we refresh it with a new one anyway.

The science and history of alcohol is something I'm actually quite passionate about. I love experimenting with it and what I can mix with what. For just kicking back during a casual afternoon I tend to stick to cider, my favorites being Woodchuck and Angry Orchard. I'm more of a spirit drinker in general and so far the only hooch I universally dislike are ales, beers, lagers, stouts and the like, although nothing stops me from trying everything once anyway. Not a fan of wine either, save for an occasional dark red like pinot noir, aromatic wines. Vermouth makes a great mixer, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Krespo View Post
    I'm bamboozeled this wasn't already a thread. Let's talk about alcohol! Your favourite drinks, the reasons why (if you have them), and some recommendations if you're feeling cheeky.

My favourite drink is Smithwick's ale. It's ruby red and oh so refreshing! Sometimes I like to top it with a Guinness head to make a Black n' Tan. It reminds me of good times, and is something I can share with my father while watching the match. A close second is Bombardier (another ale, this time of the English variety). I was never crazy about spirits, but if I had to choose it'd be Morgan's Spiced or Grey Goose vodka.
    For vodka, you should try Tito's! It's one of those brands that is on the lower end of the price spectrum but is comparatively of excellent quality. Also have you tried Kraken rum? A bit pricier than Morgan's but if you were ever inclined to splurge that stuff is a spiritual (ha ha) experience in a bottle.

Do you remember that amazing Irish coffee recipe I told you a long time ago? If you don't I can post it here again. First I need to find it...

Alcohol is quite literally serious business, and arguably the reason some dudes in the Middle East got together in one place long enough to invent civilisation. So no tales of 'I drank sooo much lawl', no one will be impressed. Responsible drinking is best drinking.
    I can't thank you enough for making this addendum, by the way. I take my drinking seriously, responsibly and most of all in moderation. Alcoholism hits close to home for me (literally) and I can't stress how misconceived it is when drinking is always equated to it.

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    Oooh, booze!

For beer, I love a good Irish Red. Kilkenny is my favorite. It's an Irish red but with the same creamy head of a Guiness. Sadly it is pretty hard to find.

Also love whisky. Really love a good Godfather. Half amaretto, half bourbon or scotch.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLadyMonster View Post
    For vodka, you should try Tito's! It's one of those brands that is on the lower end of the price spectrum but is comparatively of excellent quality. Also have you tried Kraken rum? A bit pricier than Morgan's but if you were ever inclined to splurge that stuff is a spiritual (ha ha) experience in a bottle.

Do you remember that amazing Irish coffee recipe I told you a long time ago? If you don't I can post it here again. First I need to find it...
    I'll keep a look out! Outside of whiskeys, spirit selection is pretty slim in these parts but there's always hope. And it's been a while, sorry, I forget. Buuuut if you happen to remember I'll happily follow your Irish coffee recipe TO THE LETTER this weekend. There's a chocolate brioche in the kitchen I'd love to eat with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLadyMonster
    I can't thank you enough for making this addendum, by the way. I take my drinking seriously, responsibly and most of all in moderation. Alcoholism hits close to home for me (literally) and I can't stress how misconceived it is when drinking is always equated to it.
    Often I find the most responsible drinkers are the ones who've had their lives affected by alcoholism. You know first hand what it can do to people when abused, so do I. I think swearing alcohol off altogether only leads to it being associated more with those who abuse it, instead of a fun addition to good times (like it should be). Let's raise a glass to moderation and good sense.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I'm a spirits guy through and through, although I do enjoy some other things. I'll enjoy a nice red wine sometimes.

Nice Rum (The Kraken is one of my favorites), Gin, Absinthe, Vodka, Liqueur, and Brandy are among my preferred tastes although I certainly have much more to try. Some alcohol merely needs to be tasted with the right label.

It's hard for me to pin down what my favorite drinks are, but I suppose I'll default to a good glass of Absinthe or a Gin and Tonic.

Alcohol isn't just important socially, it was also an important part of diet in some ancient cultures.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Antumbra, you have good taste. I love Godfathers, especially if done with a good single malt scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Krespo
    I'll keep a look out! Outside of whiskeys, spirit selection is pretty slim in these parts but there's always hope. And it's been a while, sorry, I forget. Buuuut if you happen to remember I'll happily follow your Irish coffee recipe TO THE LETTER this weekend. There's a chocolate brioche in the kitchen I'd love to eat with it.
    I shall deliver then! Lets see, I'll have to type it out since the only copy of it is still on that recipe card:
    Irish Coffee (serves 1)
    You will need:
    ~1 hefty wine goblet or traditional Irish coffee mug, warmed.
    ~2 tbsp Irish whiskey.
    ~1 tsp or more brown sugar (to taste).
    ~Fresh brewed strong medium to dark roast coffee.
    ~2 tbsp heavy cream.
    -------
    Pour whiskey in glass first, add sugar and a spoon; pour coffee over spoon and stir to dissolve sugar. Hold spoon just above level of the coffee, rounded side up, slowly pour cream so it floats on the surface (almost like making a black and tan). Don't stir. Drinking it through the cream is the recommended way to enjoy it!

Often I find the most responsible drinkers are the ones who've had their lives affected by alcoholism. You know first hand what it can do to people when abused, so do I. I think swearing alcohol off altogether only leads to it being associated more with those who abuse it, instead of a fun addition to good times (like it should be). Let's raise a glass to moderation and good sense.
    I'm inclined to agree with you, actually. No need to completely abstain, just being conscientious and having responsible habits. I pretty much limit any drinking I do to home to minimize any problems that could arise, because even though I'm very self aware when it comes to that, I always play it safe.

Rilvor and I just got back from Total Wine and More actually. Got some more Kraken and got a bottle of Barbados style rum that we haven't tried yet called R.L. Seale's. The reviews say it's a great sipping rum, so we'll be trying it neat later tonight. Hope it's pretty good!

Weasyl
    Onnes
    This is the tail end of release season for a number of big name beers. In particular, the 2015 bottlings of both Dark Lord and KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) arrived in the past two months. These are both heavy stouts with coffee and other added flavors, and they are some of the most of sought after beers out there. For Dark Lord, you need to find someone who went to Dark Lord Day and picked up an allotment--it isn't distributed. KBS can be found in stores in limited amounts, although there's no telling which stores manage to secure a shipment in a given year.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLadyMonster View Post
    a bottle of Barbados style rum that we haven't tried yet called R.L. Seale's. The reviews say it's a great sipping rum, so we'll be trying it neat later tonight. Hope it's pretty good!
    Checking in to say it's stellar, it has the most lovely butterscotch tones to it.

Also going to add my words of wisdom to the thread:

Buy less, drink nicer.

Or

Don't buy two bottles of shit kind, buy one bottle of good kind and savor it.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Is it a crime to double-post if I do a recipe?

Anyway...

Beltane Punch Recipe

1 parts Lime Juice
    2 parts 100% Cherry Juice (chilled)
    3 parts Rum
    4 parts chilled water
    3 dashes Angostura Bitters

I started with 1 cup of lime juice and went from there. Make sure you add a big hunk of ice into the bowl. Drink responsibly, and enjoy Beltane everyone!