Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    lilachoneydeer

Opinion Poll: Do you believe the Furry Fandom as a whole is no longer expanding?

Even though I have only been apart of this fandom for approximately 3 years, I believe I have been able to see enough change over this time with my experience talking to people in the fandom and making friends via the internet, though it could just be the fact that the age range of people I talk to and material I see has expanded, and the opinions I hold may have changed considering I feel like I have seen the full "range" of the fandom by now.

That being said though, does anyone else feel that the fandom has been stagnating over the last year and half or so? Once again, this could just be me as I feel some of my options have been limited over that amount of time, just with my age and abilities to fursuit and my success as an artist, but it just sort of feels like its all the same people doing the same things for the same other people all the time if that makes any sense... I just haven't really seen a large rising of many new "popular" fursuiters in a while and large groups it seems, also this forum even seems less active than it previously was even though this is a "newer" furry site.

Does anyone else agree with this? Do you think this could be for a certain reason, and maybe there are steps that need to be taken to improve the state of the fandom? Do you think many furries need to "heighten their standards" and maybe nationalizing a bit and restricting ourselves more may actually draw more people in? Or do you think its a matter of still becoming well recognized in other media with a positive image?
    ♪ ♫ ♪ ✿ ~ Moth the Whitetail Doe ~ ✿ ♪ ♫ ♪
    FurAffinityDeviantArtInstagramTumblr

Weasyl
    oly
    "the fandom" is a nebulous thing anyway and not all who could be considered furries have much or anything to do with it.

to me 'the fandom' is just some artists I watch and my friends both local and abroad.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I haven't really noticed because I don't care about whether or not it "expands". It's a hobby, not a cult.

It's not shrinking, but the rate of growth is decreasing. That might have to do with the fact that there are now much more extreme factions for people to hurl their slings and arrows at. Gamergate and feminists come to mind, those are the new fun ones anyway.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    it looks like its growing for shure. but very slowly.
    it takes a real man to call sin out by its real name
    -anonomus

אב, סלח להם; כי הם לא יודעים מה הם עושים
    -ישועה

profile pic by uncle-noob on teen furs.

Weasyl
    lilachoneydeer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    "the fandom" is a nebulous thing anyway and not all who could be considered furries have much or anything to do with it.

to me 'the fandom' is just some artists I watch and my friends both local and abroad.
    I imagine it is almost entirely personal for most people as well, but with the furry fandom, being as you said, much more broad than most other fandoms... (i.e. we aren't a book series or a TV show so there is no direct output of media readily available / being made for us, its almost entirely self supported) then why should this fandom exist at all really? If the self sustaining portion were to in fact go, would any of that really matter? It seems that reason congregations like this exist is to give people a sense of belonging and self satisfaction in the fact that there are like-minded thinkers out there.

I've notice kemonomimis are becoming the thing lately. Or is that just me? I feel like the popularity of the furry fandom has decreased. I'm personally not a fan but I know people who are (my dad is a perfect example). However, it's still here. It'll probably have a growth spurt sooner or later. That tends to happen with fandoms.

Weasyl
    lilachoneydeer
    I agree, kemonomimis have always attained popularity it seems, and they were probably most of the reason I got into the furry fandom actually, so I can see how they would be drawing others in but I also don't really understand why our "population" has been dropping... I think I've mostly noticed that I just haven't seen any new "popular" fursuiters in the last year and half or so, but spurts do come and go I suppose.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    I think it just had its growth spurt in the last few years, honestly. I remember back when Anthrocon had less than 2,000 attendees.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    I think it just had its growth spurt in the last few years, honestly. I remember back when Anthrocon had less than 2,000 attendees.
    Damn, you old :v